Cruisin solo, B2B cruises..

Alyssajones624

Hi everyone!

I feel in love with cruising back in 2004 but since I have only been able to do 4 cruises. Mostly because I am a single girl (30) in Miami (NEAR THE PORT) and can't find people to commit. I am so sad to see people constantly posting about their upcoming trips. So I am wanting to know if there is anyone, or anyone who has advice on cruising solo? I am a social person but I do not like to intrude if I see a group of people. Am I going to feel left out or alone?

Then the next questions is who has done B2B cruises? Pros cons? How do you know how much to pack? Do you do laundry on board or just pack for two, seven day cruises? Any information would be greatly appreciarted

Hi everyone!

I feel in love with cruising back in 2004 but since I have only been able to do 4 cruises. Mostly because I am a single girl (30) in Miami (NEAR THE PORT) and can't find people to commit. I am so sad to see people constantly posting about their upcoming trips. So I am wanting to know if there is anyone, or anyone who has advice on cruising solo? I am a social person but I do not like to intrude if I see a group of people. Am I going to feel left out or alone?

Then the next questions is who has done B2B cruises? Pros cons? How do you know how much to pack? Do you do laundry on board or just pack for two, seven day cruises? Any information would be greatly appreciarted

Hi,

I have done several solo cruises on a few different lines. I love it!

I have had roommates and had rooms to myself.

I consider myself shy and an introvert so cruising solo is good and gets me to open up and chat with folks. People on vacation are usually easy to talk to.

I love being able to do what I want when I want, and be social or not.

I sit with groups at dinner to meet people and in return they seem intrigued that I go solo even though I am married with a 9 yr old.

I think it depends on the cruise line too, solo on carnival was a different experience than my solo cruise on Princess.

I love solo cruises! I am a Diamond and have been cruising for 16 years. Last 3 or 4 years solo.

Sad thing is I was born and raised in Miami and NEVER knew about cruising until 16 yrs ago after I moved out of Florida.

Solo allows you to do what you want when you want.

# 1 rule is be safe!

Hello,

I cruise solo all the time and have no problem, the only time it may feel a little uncomfortable is eating in the main dining room. My last cruise was on NCL and they have anytime dining all the time, no set table each night like Carnival so it made it even more uncomfortable. I organized several independent excursions and shared mini van rides on these boards, attended the meet & greet and made a lot of new friends on my last cruise.

I enjoy traveling solo I have the freedom to do what I want when I want. Have fun!

Tracie

Having cruised solo on Carnival, I do recommend having an assigned dining time - if you want you can even e-mail the Maitre’d before hand and request to be seated with other solo cruisers, although you may have other solo cruisers at your table even without doIng that.

If you’re looking to sit with a group at dinner I’d recommend fixed (early or late) dining. They’ll try assign you a table with other solo cruisers. If you go to your time dining you could be with different people each night and I’ve read horror stories about groups not wanting the solo cruiser seated with them. Definitely check out the solo cruiser board.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=373

Hi everyone!

If you are social then you make like it a whole lot because you can do what you want without a problem

Hello Again,

My first solo cruise was on RCL, they had me, another solo gal and four ladies from the UK all together at a table. I'm still friends with some of them on Facebook. In 2016 I went on the Carnival Liberty solo again I went to my assigned table must have been the second night, there was only one guy at the large table and he kept talking about snakes and showing me pictures of snakes on his phone. I skipped dessert and went and spoke to the maitre d and asked to be moved and that I would prefer another table with females. After that I was at a table with all ladies and we had a wonderful time. Still friends with one of them on Facebook.

Tracie

Now that my kids are married or working its hard for me to find someone to cruise with. I rather have some one to go with but half the time I go sole. I'm a out going person so don't have a problem meeting or talking to people. The solo part don't bother me its the paying for two. I have been on 55 cruise and still go on 4 a yr with or without some one else. I just suck it up. I do like a big dinner table and that way I have someone to talk to when we eat or I see them on the ship

Hi Alyssa,

I am in the same boat as you, so I have never cruised solo, mostly due to dinners. Perhaps there should be a solo group chat, where people could get to know each other and plan cruises together. I would cruise 52 weeks a year if I knew someone going!!!

Hi everyone!

There are threads for solos as well as threads for singles under special cruising topics in CC.

I've cruised solo lots of times and have done two different B2B's solo as well. One was on the Conquest for 14 days and the other was 2 Journey cruises on the Glory for 21 days.

I packed the same amount of clothing for each and used a 21" luggage bag to carry my clothes. I did make use of the free priority laundry perk, but if I didn't I would have used the laundry specials for sox, briefs and tees. I wouldn't do my own laundry.

Carnival placed me at a solo/single late MDR table, one time I was the only guy at a table of 9 women. On NCL Epic, I had a studio cabin and I went with a group of solos to the MDR several nights. We met up in the studio lounge and NCL staff organized the dining arrangements. I've dined in specialty restaurants on several lines solo many times.

I did excursions I had pre-booked as well as others that I waited till on board to book with people from my MDR table. For a guy, it's a bunch of fun and free wheeling to do what I want (including nothing) when I wanted.

I did a 5 day/7 day back to back solo.

Packed for a 5 day and did my own laundry.

Ate mainly at the buffet/deli/pizzeria/outdoor grill, though in my 6 cruises Carnival has been very good in assigning me compatible tablemates in the dining room. In the case of a solo cruiser, they know you are solo and would match you to other solo cruisersif possible without you even asking.

While I am not a very social person and tend to enjoy alonetime I found myself interacting with others more on a solo cruise versuscruising with others.

Being able to decide activities without needing to consider others is a big plus when going solo.

So far I’ve done every other cruise solo. When no one else is able to go with me and Iam ready for a cruise I am definitely going to go solo.

Good morning!

Almost all of my cruises were solo, primary on Carnival and also on Holland America, I never sailed on a B2B (wanting to one of these days), but have sailed longer cruises of 10 and 14 days.

I normally at late dining. Never email or inquired about my tablet before, but Carnival has never failed me with dining.

The majority of the tables were primary solo cruisers, or a pair (friends, sisters,etc) traveling together. Met some great folks including three that even years after sailing together friends off the ship.

Best solo tablemate was WWII vet who was a paratrooper during D day. To hear his stories on what happen I consider equal to another sailing (HAL) with another WWII vet.

Some of the other solos cruisers we did do shows together and even on sea day got chairs together and hung out. Another one we happen to be on the same pre book tour together. Others we just saw each other at dinner and around the ship

I love cruising solo because it's all about what I want to do. First sea day, I like to watch the sun rise, take a nap in the afternoon, have a drink at the bar and people watch!

Same with my tours, I do mainly local tours,often booking from vendors other cruisers suggested on the port of call. With the exception of one tour, no issues being solo. I'm also the type that enjoy my company equally as when I'm with others.

In fact, I'm booked on a cruise in December solo. Now I'm doing a little different on my dining because it's my 50th birthday/Christmas gift so dining in the steakroom two evenings, Chef table and know from a prior daylong cruise Lido or room service that night. So the other three nights doing anytime and enjoy a solo dinner with a glass of wine.

I had only one time where I was place two families as a spot filler and was worried, but got along well with everyone. I did have a bad dining experience on my first solo cruise dining on HAL. Had a tablemate that didn't want me at the table and questioned how was I able to afford to cruise on HAL and a long cruise on top of that. I end up eating in the dining room upset. Two others at the table saw me around the ship and ask me to return to dining with a another table, but I decline. However I didn't let that one person stop me from enjoying sailing

But don't limit it to just cruising alone! I did Peru to Machu Picchu solo a few years back!

Go on your cruise, have fun and make it "me" time!

Happy sailing

I did a 5 day/7 day back to back solo.

Packed for a 5 day and did my own laundry.

Ate mainly at the buffet/deli/pizzeria/outdoor grill' date=' though in my 6 cruises Carnival has been very good in assigning me compatible tablemates in the dining room. In the case of a solo cruiser, they know you are solo and would match you to other solo cruisersif possible without you even asking.[/font']

While I am not a very social person and tend to enjoy alonetime I found myself interacting with others more on a solo cruise versuscruising with others.

Being able to decide activities without needing to consider others is a big plus when going solo.

So far I’ve done every other cruise solo. When no one else is able to go with me and Iam ready for a cruise I am definitely going to go solo.

I've been on three solo cruises. I too ate for the main part at the buffet/deli/pizzeria. One of the times I was in a balcony cabin & would just run up to the buffet, grab what I wanted & ate out on my balcony. I am very social, but on the three occasions I went solo, I just wanted to relax & wasn't really interested in socializing.

I normally cruise with family members, and love spending time with them - but I've gotta say, going solo once every few years was really nice.

Solo cruising is awesome. Can do what you want, when you want. I always take my Kindle loaded with books. I love to read, so my favorite thing is finding a quiet spot with an awesome view of the water. Close to bar service is also key. :D:D

I never worry about dinner. I'll go the first time and if its not to my liking, no biggie. There's always pizza, or the Lido buffet. I take a glass of my wine and my Kindle and I'm all set. Usually its pretty quiet in Lido during dinner time anyway, so its always nice.

Main tip I can give you for doing a B2B is see if you can get the same cabin for both trips. Then after the first cruise, you don't have to worry about moving your things. But its not a deal breaker if you can't get the same cabin - the crew is great in helping you move your stuff over to the new digs.

OMG, I can't imagine living near the Port. I would go broke! You will be kicking yourself you didn't try the solo thing sooner. go for it!:ship:(y)

I love solo cruises! I am a Diamond and have been cruising for 16 years. Last 3 or 4 years solo.

Sad thing is I was born and raised in Miami and NEVER knew about cruising until 16 yrs ago after I moved out of Florida.

Solo allows you to do what you want when you want.

# 1 rule is be safe!

I too am Diamond and go solo all the time. I also grew up in Miami, went to Ponce then Coral Gables High. Go Cavs!

Who knew there was such a community of solo cruisers? I have never done one but mine was mostly because I hate that they charge you per room and not per person. (Although I came across one cruise recently that had a single bed, is this new?) I was single for years and looked into it but never found a good one. I didn’t want to do a “singles” cruise either because I wasn’t looking for a wife, only a vacation and I always thought it’d be weird to find someone on a site just to be a roommate. I don’t like NCL because I like to have the set dinners and talk to people even though in ways I am shy and to the guy who was sat at table of all women, i would’ve been in heaven, I get along with women a lot more and hopefully with that many women I could’ve met a wife or at least someone I liked enough to cruise with me. So I’m glad I read this and let’s force the cruises into more single rooms they wouldn’t lose much money if all of us kept going especially because I always get the drink package!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm an oftentimes solo cruiser and have done B2Bs solo. I love it. I find it to be the best way to vacation as a single traveller. At first I did late dining and did make some friends for the cruise--they tend to sit me with other singles, parents and adult children, that sort of thing, but the last 3 times I just did YTD. It's very easy to make company and friends if that's what I'm looking for, but I'm an introvert and am just as happy alone and doing my thing. My very first cruise was solo and it got really...wild...in a good way. Carnival has meet ups for singles, and that can be hit or miss. I have found just hanging out at the Alchemy gets me the company I like. I'm going to try another cruise line next February for a B2B--one that takes solo cruisers a little more into account, to see how that goes.

Hi Alyssa,

I am in the same boat as you, so I have never cruised solo, mostly due to dinners. Perhaps there should be a solo group chat, where people could get to know each other and plan cruises together. I would cruise 52 weeks a year if I knew someone going!!!

Join a roll call for your cruise ahead of time, and you may meet other singles.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm going to be going on my first solo cruise too, a 14 day journey on the Pride! I have never cruised with fewer than 3 people, so it will be different and interesting I'm sure.

I have vacationed solo 2x when others couldn't go, the first time for 1 week just to see if I could handle it and last May a 2 week road-trip on the panhandle from Pensacola Beach to Biloxi. Not a problem and must say, I kinda enjoyed the doing what I wanted to do, when I wanted to do it!

Like others said, the vibe is relaxed when people are vacation, especially in a laid-back atmosphere. People tend to be friendly, chatty and I have never felt lonely or isolated. Even when travelling with others, I've ended up on my own and talking to people I've just met or LOL searching for an excuse to take an hour or two, just to be by myself!

While eating alone was different at first, I also noticed I wasn't the only one doing it and there are always multiple options if you're uncomfortable on your own in a restaurant. I look forward to eating on the Lido for dinner, which to date I've never done, so interested to see what the options are like on the buffet. Other times I foresee doing the MDR and I know I'll do a day or two of room service or grabbing a Guy's burger to eat on the balcony, especially after a long day in port.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Hi Alyssa,

YESSS BOXER JIM! It seems like it needs to be more men because it seems like there are more solo women cruisers (in my experience not so much non cruisers) and I am sure (assume) most women do not want to room with a man for obvious reasons even though most aren’t sketchy, harmful and aren’t trying to hook up. So I am definitely willing to get to know everyone and one day take over a ship with all solo cruisers. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone wishing there were more swingers.

In order to avoid the dreaded solo surcharge, I would recommend trying many of the newer ships that are now accommodating solo cruisers such as the newer builds on NCL (Breakaway, Getaway, Escape, Bliss) the Anthem class on RCI and the Celebrity Edge. Some are inside cabins, some are inside with virtual balconies, while others are true balcony cabins for solos.

In order to avoid the dreaded solo surcharge, I would recommend trying many of the newer ships that are now accommodating solo cruisers such as the newer builds on NCL (Breakaway, Getaway, Escape, Bliss) the Anthem class on RCI and the Celebrity Edge. Some are inside cabins, some are inside with virtual balconies, while others are true balcony cabins for solos.

I’d say look at them...but don’t assume they’re cheaper. In my experience looking at the newer NCL ships coming to New Orleans, they aren’t. I just did a mock booking of the breakaway out of New Orleans the same week as my vista cruise out of Galveston. First off the studio rate for that cruise is only $29 cheaper than their inside rate. The total price for that studio cabin buried deep in the bowels of breakaway was $10 cheaper than my lido inside on vista...after I paid for grats on vista...so the actual rate is about $90 more on breakaway... and I got $50 OBC on vista...and I got a price drop on vista which bumps it to $80 OBC and I’m on lido deck in a regular sized room that has a real bathroom.

Edited by Saint Greg

Hi,

I have done several solo cruises on a few different lines. I love it!

I have had roommates and had rooms to myself.

I consider myself shy and an introvert so cruising solo is good and gets me to open up and chat with folks. People on vacation are usually easy to talk to.

I love being able to do what I want when I want, and be social or not.

I sit with groups at dinner to meet people and in return they seem intrigued that I go solo even though I am married with a 9 yr old.

I think it depends on the cruise line too, solo on carnival was a different experience than my solo cruise on Princess.

PLease explain the differences of cruising solo on the two lines! Thank you. I also am looking to cruise solo! Would like to know what line is preferred. Event hough I enjoy Carnival with a group