They need to build more cabanas at Half Moon Cay

LongHill44

They only have, what, 13 or so of the smaller cabanas and a few of the larger ones. They sell out so fast and are easy money makers. Someone even said they added a few more in the past few years but if 1 boat is in, that's what, 3,000 people, 2 boats close to 6,000 people with say 24 cabanas?

All I need is a beach towel, hat, sunscreen, and a cooler. We also sat at the tables where you can eat lunch - early on we had a whole section to ourselves, and it was very peaceful and lots of foliage.

I am sure the cabanas will be priced as expensive as people will pay, so if they are selling out early, they are not priced high enough and will likely rise. :D

All I need is a beach towel, hat, sunscreen, and a cooler. We also sat at the tables where you can eat lunch - early on we had a whole section to ourselves, and it was very peaceful and lots of foliage.

I am sure the cabanas will be priced as expensive as people will pay, so if they are selling out early, they are not priced high enough and will likely rise. :D

We alway walk all the way down to the farthest part of the beach and it feels like you have your own private oasis. Rented a cabana once. Would not do it again. Way too crowded in that area.

They only have, what, 13 or so of the smaller cabanas and a few of the larger ones. They sell out so fast and are easy money makers. Someone even said they added a few more in the past few years but if 1 boat is in, that's what, 3,000 people, 2 boats close to 6,000 people with say 24 cabanas?

Personally, I can’t understand why people would pay so much money to sit inside a cabana, rather than on a beautiful beach, and for only a few hours. Total waste of money, in my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There are 15 regular cabanas and 5 beach villas. There really isn't enough room to add more, unless they're bunched up side-by-side with just a few inches in between. I would like to see beach umbrellas for rent, either in addition to or instead of the clam shells.

Personally, I can’t understand why people would pay so much money to sit inside a cabana, rather than on a beautiful beach, and for only a few hours. Total waste of money, in my opinion.

It's all about comfort, I am sure. Why deal with pesky sun when you can have shade? Why sit on the sand when you can sit in a comfy chair? Why have to go to the bar when you can just get a drink from the supply at the cabana? Why have to walk to the bathroom when... oops, still have to do that, folks, sorry!

Come to think of it, you can have all that stuff for free on the ship!

I am sure there will be people complaining that cabanas have no bathrooms, or that they were "roughing it" and "camping out" on the beach! And you can bet your last dollar, if the cruise lines can figure out something to legally sell on HMC that people will buy, they will do it. I'm thinking it is just a matter of time before there is a specialty lunch venue there serving premium food for a price.

Keep in mind that Half Moon Cay belongs to Holland America and their ships hold a lot less passengers. Even if two of their vista class ships stop at the same time, that is less than 4,000 passengers if all the passengers came ashore.

HMC is fine the way it is.

They should charge more.

Just like an apartment complex, if you have a waiting list, the rent is too low. Continue raising rents till you get a 5% vacancy rate.

Keep in mind that Half Moon Cay belongs to Holland America and their ships hold a lot less passengers. Even if two of their vista class ships stop at the same time, that is less than 4,000 passengers if all the passengers came ashore.

HMC is fine the way it is.

And HA is owned by who, C. Corp?

HMC is fine just like it is...... I wouldn't want to see it turned into Grand Turk!!

The DJ at the Pirate Ship is loud enough....GT....bring ear plugs:cool:... If you sit by the Pool and close to MGville.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Let's see...Skin Cancer....Old age? I grew up on the beaches of Florida. So did my DW... Skin cancer has set it in on a few spots. While we would prefer to sit in the sun for 3 or 4 hours... Shade is a much better option!:cool:

If you like the sun as we did growing up go for it.....just remember shade is also "Nice"!! :cool:

I sometimes ponder if some people spending bucks on the cabanas, oasis, etc. at HMC then go back to the ship and remove their auto-tips to cover it! :cool:

??? ..... A now a comment from the "peanut gallery" Thanks...:cool::hearteyes::D:):confused:

We rented a cabana at Half Moon Cay and loved it. We'll do it again. It came with pop, chips & salsa, a vegetable tray with dip, and fruit. The mister on the deck is nice to cool you off a bit. I was in the water most of the time, but my husband burns so easily even with sunscreen he needs a little shade time too. It was a great place to put our stuff . It also came with floating mats for all 4 of us and snorkel gear. You can sit at the table inside or lounge on a deck chair outside on the deck portion. Oh - and we prepay our tips, we do not remove them (for the previous poster who thought that must be why we rent cabanas ?! Ridiculous)

I sometimes ponder if some people spending bucks on the cabanas, oasis, etc. at HMC then go back to the ship and remove their auto-tips to cover it! :cool:

Doubtful. I'd guess just the opposite, that not only do they NOT remove their auto-tips, but end up tipping extra to certain crew members for outstanding service.

We rented a cabana at Half Moon Cay and loved it. We'll do it again. It came with pop, chips & salsa, a vegetable tray with dip, and fruit. The mister on the deck is nice to cool you off a bit. I was in the water most of the time, but my husband burns so easily even with sunscreen he needs a little shade time too. It was a great place to put our stuff . It also came with floating mats for all 4 of us and snorkel gear. You can sit at the table inside or lounge on a deck chair outside on the deck portion. Oh - and we prepay our tips, we do not remove them (for the previous poster who thought that must be why we rent cabanas ?! Ridiculous)

We were part of a group that rented a villa at HMC and really enjoyed it. Did it a second time but mother nature decided we should not go.

Personally i rather spend my money at half moon cay on parasailing or snorkeling...i remember where a group of mostly first time cruisers were talked into a must rent cabana by someone who had been there before..they really did not want to after being there...but to each their own...it is all about making memories...

We rented a villa and loved every minute of it. It was a luxury for us, but we knew we need shade as we all burn very easy. (We are to use to northern NH weather) I also liked the idea of having our own bathroom. Everyone has things they pay for and things they skip. It is a personal preference, and people need to stop judging!!!

I'm sorry you've received less than favorable feedback from some others. My serious, honest advice, from an experienced cruiser is, if booking a HMC cabana is a priority to you, book your next cruise on Holland America. HMC cabanas are much less likely to sell out on HAL cruises. Keep in mind HMC belonged to HAL before Carnival Corporation acquired HAL, and HAL's more mature clientele are much less likely to grab those cabanas. Thus you are much more likely to be able to have cabana availability if you book a HAL cruise. Best cruising wishes....

Let's see...Skin Cancer....Old age? I grew up on the beaches of Florida. So did my DW... Skin cancer has set it in on a few spots. While we would prefer to sit in the sun for 3 or 4 hours... Shade is a much better option!:cool:

If you like the sun as we did growing up go for it.....just remember shade is also "Nice"!! :cool:

I certainly can’t sit in the sun, and neither can my hubby. We just look for shady trees, or shady area. If full sun, we couldn’t sit out there for very long. And even if in shady areas, we both use a sunscreen with SPF of 50-60. But would that influence us to spend that much money for shade? Definitely not. Perhaps it’s just our generation (we are both in our 60s) but we cannot fathom spending that much money on something frivolous. And to us, that’s frivolous.

Please. No more Cabanas. I've been to Half Moon Cay before the cabanas were there, before that stupid Pirate ship bar was there. It was a much nicer place. Its a shame that we tend to ruin what we love. :mad:

I've been to HMC 3 times and the last time I was there, we had 2 ships. I've never seen those cabanas completely full. Then again, this was always with HAL, so maybe they're just not that popular with the older demographic.