No room assignment......

bluewater5

We have a booked cruise on Valor which leaves in 34 days. I received a promotional deal which stated Carnival would select our room (interior). When I called Carnival said it would be assigned closer to sail date. I’m a little worried about the location of the room due to feeling movement.

I kind of feel downgraded for selecting a promotional deal.

Anyone experienced this before?

Appreciate any advice

You got a "guarantee" room. Basically, you pay a lower rate and Carnival guarantees that you will have at least an interior and possibly (but unlikely) an ocean view or balcony. You haven't been downgraded -- you will get at least what you paid for.

Many have written here that guarantee cabins are sometimes not assigned until you show up at the ship.

Honestly speaking, you are going to get one of the cabins no one else wanted.

Since you agreed to give up cabin choice for lower cost, if you feel "downgraded", you are getting what you signed on for.

That said, hope you get a cabin that is satisfactory to you.

• Like 1

In my experience, the cabin assignment shows up around 30-45 days out. We booked an interior guarantee on the Valor last May and were assigned a cabin on deck 2. No issues with movement and I slept like a baby all 4 nights.

You can always go out and do a phantom booking on the Carnival website and see what/how many cabins are left to get a feel for way you may end up.

My only time doing a Carnival Guarantee was my very first Carnival Cruise. We ended up on Deck 1, very front of the ship. I was super sea sick even though I had a patch.

We did not get our assignment until the day before. No more guarantees for me - however it has worked to other's advantage.

I have done a guarantee twice. Once with carnival and did a guarantee inside- got a midship ocean view. Second time was with Disney. I had a very nice deluxe ocean view room and a balcony guarantee rate came up for the same price. I decided to roll the dice and ended up with a really great balcony that was one of the higher category balconies. Both times happy. First cruise was before most of this stuff was online. I have no idea if our room assignment was on the paperwork mailed or not. But I do know I was surprised to find out that I had a window. Disney was more recent and we found out about a month out I think.

I probably would do a guarantee again if it was a good price or I thought I would a shot at a better room. But most of the time it is only a couple dollars more to pick the room. And I don't want to get stuck with a room in the front. Been there, done that. Not again.

Thank for your responses. We loved our interior room last cruise just hoping not to be at front of ship (comments from other cruisers). Considered lesson learned.

Our fist cruise was a guarantee balcony on Conquest - we ended up on deck 8, starboard about 6 rooms from the very front of the ship and had zero issues with movement (that was in July, western itinerary so no idea if that's normally smooth or we just got lucky). Also had cabins above and below so no noise either. Very happy with that one. Hope y'all get something good too!

Anyone who has specific concerns regarding cabin location/amenities should NOT book a guarantee cabin... regardless of the savings... there is a possibility you get a great cabin/location but an equal chance you do not... that is why it is discounted. They will not “downgrade” you from the minimum you chose, but you might end up with the minimum... good luck and hope you come out a winner on this one but don’t let it ruin your vacation if you don’t!

We let Carnival pick our room one time for a minimal savings. We ended up deck 9 all the way forward. As people who are night owls and close down Alchemy/nightclub on 5 aft, this was a horrible location. We would never let Carnival pick our room again. Really it just depends on what type of cruiser you are.

We have a booked cruise on Valor which leaves in 34 days. I received a promotional deal which stated Carnival would select our room (interior). When I called Carnival said it would be assigned closer to sail date. I’m a little worried about the location of the room due to feeling movement.

I kind of feel downgraded for selecting a promotional deal.

Anyone experienced this before?

Appreciate any advice

You may get what you don't want, we would never do that.

Oops ....I just checked they assigned me to Deck 2. I was originally on Deck 2 for interior but upgraded to balcony guarantee. Never have I been on Deck 2 but we will be positive I heard we will get great sleep and close to getting off the ship when we port. Plus we are mid ship near an elevator. I' fine with what they gave me. Our sailing is packed. Good luck on your assignment.

This is a big 'it depends' for us. We have mostly used GTY cabins when selecting OV. They typically put you down on deck 1 which is just fine for us. I believe we've used GTY on exactly 3 of our 7 Carnival cruises.

Of our 15 Carnival cruises we purchased a "guarantee" rate a few times. My wife would get seasick on occasion, so the first time we sailed guarantee we thought we would be given the worst stateroom. To our surprise it was not and we never had a problem with our guarantee cabins.

The earliest we received our stateroom number was about one month out, the latest was the week before we sailed, which was our last cruise.

Don't worry all will be good, enjoy your cruise!

How much does movement bother you? If you find out you are in a cabin where there may be a lot of movement felt, I would bring along ginger pills, non-drowsy Dramamine or consider getting the motion sickness patch. We have only done guarantee once for an inside and were assigned a cabin on Deck 9 and I was doing the happy dance!

My wife used non-drowsy Dramamine, but two cruises ago she forgot to purchase it prior to sailing and she refused to pay for it on the ship. Much to her surprise she was okay and said she felt better without taking the Dramamine. Our last cruise on the Pride this past October we had unfriendly seas she didn't use it either and she didn't mind the ship's movement.

Our stateroom was mid-ship on deck 5.

Also once you get a cabin assignment Carnival can still change your room

Yes, if there are any cabins left. I booked the Liberty a week in advance and had no choice other than a suite or an interior guarantee. The price of the suite was way out of line for a four night cruise, so it had to be a guarantee. I have done that before and won (assigned to balconies) but this time we were assigned a handicapped cabin just inside the doors leading outside on the Lido deck. Worst cabin in 51 cruises (noisy, very little storage, tiny because the huge bathroom was square footage subtracted from the cabin space), but there were no other cabins available. I checked several times a day. Still had a good time In spite of the cabin, but next time I would stay home before I would book a guarantee.