Room Upgrade Troubles

Edwy

I recently made reservations on a well-known cruise line. We have sailed on another well-known cruise line, but this was our first experience with this line. About a week ago, I was sent an email notifying me that our cabin had been upgraded and that we had 48 hours to decline. I looked up the new cabin and found it right across from the guest laundry! When I called the company, I was informed that I could decline the upgrade, but that there was no guarantee that I would get my original room back or even that the room would be of a remotely equal location. When I asked why we'd been upgraded, they said we had failed to check some box on the booking form. Needless to say I am not very impressed with this new line and I am not looking forward to spending nearly 2 weeks in a room across from the laundry! What are my options? Do I have any options - other than packing my ear plugs? Would it help if I threaten to share the name of the line on sites such as this? This cruise is costing a lot of my hard-earned money and I don't like being treated like this! HELP! :eek:

I recently made reservations on a well-known cruise line. We have sailed on another well-known cruise line, but this was our first experience with this line. About a week ago, I was sent an email notifying me that our cabin had been upgraded and that we had 48 hours to decline. I looked up the new cabin and found it right across from the guest laundry! When I called the company, I was informed that I could decline the upgrade, but that there was no guarantee that I would get my original room back or even that the room would be of a remotely equal location. When I asked why we'd been upgraded, they said we had failed to check some box on the booking form. Needless to say I am not very impressed with this new line and I am not looking forward to spending nearly 2 weeks in a room across from the laundry! What are my options? Do I have any options - other than packing my ear plugs? Would it help if I threaten to share the name of the line on sites such as this? This cruise is costing a lot of my hard-earned money and I don't like being treated like this! HELP! :eek:

Was this a free upgrade? Or an upsell (you pay a bit more, but not the whole difference to move to the new room)?

I've never heard of a cruise line telling someone they had a deadline (48 hours, in your case) to confirm an upgrade/upsell that they actually moved them out of the room they were currently in before the decision was made.

I'd call the cruise line again and ask why that happened. Or ask if you can make a lateral move (same category) away from the laundry room.

There are several cruiselines that have the "do not upgrade" box option during the reservation process. If you don't check it, you're saying that you're OK with being moved.

I'll also mention that specifying the cruiseline involved would elicit more specific answers as to what you may be able to do.

Edited by Shmoo here

I think I am right in saying that most guest laundries operate 'sensible' hours. I would be very surprised to find that you would be disturbed either early or late. Unless you are in the cabin a lot during the day you shouldn't be bothered with noise, and even then I don't think it will be as bad as you imagine.

On the positive side, you won't have far to go to do your own washing :D

Wow! Thanks for the speedy replies! I do appreciate that. First, it was a free upgrade, no additional fee required. I did ask about a lateral move and was told that wasn't possible. And yes, they said even if I declined the upgrade we would probably not be returned to our original cabin and that the location of that cabin might not be very desirable. I hesitated to name the cruise line due to possible recriminations - maybe we'd be moved to the lifeboats! Jokey, jokey...

I am glad you mention the part about the hours for the laundry. As we are looking forward to doing as many shore excursions as possible, we probably will not be sleeping in or staying up late and will not be in the room very much, but on the other hand, golly darn it - I paid for that room and I'd like to be able to enjoy it when I want to - not be shuttled off or be forced to buy time at the Spa lounge because of the noise across the hall! You know?

I will contact the line - yet again - sit through the 20 minute plus wait to get through and hope I can speak to someone who has a fair grasp of the English language. Failing that, I may try to contact someone higher up at the Cruise Line office. And ya, invest in a pair of really good ear plugs!:rolleyes:

If you are Talking about Princess, the laundromats are closed from 10pm to 8am, and I never found it noisy, even with a cabin across the hall. And there is no problem with naming the cruise line, In fact, the best place to discuss this is on the forum here for that cruise line. EM

Royal Caribbean offers (occasional) free upgrades. On your online profile on their website, there is a section on upgrades where you choose to participate, or define what limits you have on upgrades.

I also have not seen self-serve laundry areas that are used much.

If the room category is better, I would keep it!!

I was once on a Cunard ship next to the laundry. Never heard a thing.

As others have said, extra traffic in the hall was during hours we are up and about anyway. Those same people are walking past all the cabins in that hallway.

Very convenient for doing laundry.

We're you upgraded to a balcony from?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Depends on the ship and how well insulated the rooms are if you will hear anything or not

Most laundry rooms open 7:30 or 8 am & locked by 10pm

I would ask on the specific cruise line forum if anyone has stayed in a cabin across from the laundry room

PS people can look in your profile & previous posts to find out the cruise line ;)

Royal Caribbean offers (occasional) free upgrades. On your online profile on their website, there is a section on upgrades where you choose to participate, or define what limits you have on upgrades.

I also have not seen self-serve laundry areas that are used much.

If the room category is better, I would keep it!!

OP is not talking about Royal Caribbean or Celebrity - they have no guest laundries on their ships.

Your chances of a noisy neighbor is far more likely than noise from

the laundry room .

A Good TA would ask you if you wished to mark your Princess booking as " no upgrade" or " only upgrade to the next class " .

Don't give up on Princess but use a Good TA next time for product knowledge . Princess also allows TA's to discount rates .

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were across from the laundry on the Sun Princess for a 13 day Panama Canal Cruise - it was NEVER a problem. We never heard a thing and the ONLY reason I know the laundry was there was because I twice saw ladies coming out of the laundry with their laundry and I peeped inside and saw the machines and soap dispenser. It simply was not an issue at all and our cabin location on that ship was GREAT in every other way and our cabin was very nice! I wouldn't worry about being across from the laundry at all, if I were you. Have a wonderful cruise in your upgraded cabin! Enjoy and don't stress about this!

Hi Edwy

Just so you are aware, it is the norm on this site to speak up about the cruise line. Naming the company will allow people who have had similar experience with that line the opportunity to advise you if they were able to handle the situation to their satisfaction. It also allows people who are looking at a cruise on that line to be aware of a possible problem that they might not have been aware as a possibility. Just as it happened to you.

This is how we all can learn.

My experience with the laundry rooms (although I haven't been close), when we have used them, I have always used them during the posted times only. What I have seen a few times was, when the room was busy, people would sometimes hang around the outside corridor with their discussion. If something similar to this were to happen to me and it was disturbing, I would ask (politely) if they could take it somewhere else.

I am sure it will work out. I hope it is a nice upgrade. :)

have a great cruise

This all helped, so much. I am really glad I asked. So, OK, the line is Princess We are booked on the trip to the British Isles. I appreciate those who said don't give up on them, because I was about ready to. It was a big decision to go away from Disney. They were always helpful and above board with their dealings and I don't feel like Princess has been. I am concerned about how the shore excursions will go and I'm thinking of doing other venues with that. I will however give them a chance, even though our first encounter has not been good. We found good reviews about Princess and that was one of the reasons we chose to divert to them. Ya, right., Big mistake? OK, so being across from the laundry may be acceptable, but I am still going to talk to someone. I t does not seem right to me that we were thrown out of the room we had chosen. OK. We didn't mark the right box. I will remember that. Should that be a deal breaker? I look so forward to my trips. I save my money and I do without some things to do these trips. I would like a fair chance at having a nice cruise.

Thanks for all your input. It really did help.

This all helped, so much. I am really glad I asked. So, OK, the line is Princess We are booked on the trip to the British Isles. I appreciate those who said don't give up on them, because I was about ready to. It was a big decision to go away from Disney. They were always helpful and above board with their dealings and I don't feel like Princess has been. I am concerned about how the shore excursions will go and I'm thinking of doing other venues with that. I will however give them a chance, even though our first encounter has not been good. We found good reviews about Princess and that was one of the reasons we chose to divert to them. Ya, right., Big mistake? OK, so being across from the laundry may be acceptable, but I am still going to talk to someone. I t does not seem right to me that we were thrown out of the room we had chosen. OK. We didn't mark the right box. I will remember that. Should that be a deal breaker? I look so forward to my trips. I save my money and I do without some things to do these trips. I would like a fair chance at having a nice cruise.

Thanks for all your input. It really did help.

I am sure you will enjoy Princess. Just remember to tick/untick that box if you have picked a certain cabin.

Wow! Thanks for the speedy replies! I do appreciate that. First, it was a free upgrade, no additional fee required. I did ask about a lateral move and was told that wasn't possible. And yes, they said even if I declined the upgrade we would probably not be returned to our original cabin and that the location of that cabin might not be very desirable. I hesitated to name the cruise line due to possible recriminations - maybe we'd be moved to the lifeboats! Jokey, jokey...

I am glad you mention the part about the hours for the laundry. As we are looking forward to doing as many shore excursions as possible, we probably will not be sleeping in or staying up late and will not be in the room very much, but on the other hand, golly darn it - I paid for that room and I'd like to be able to enjoy it when I want to - not be shuttled off or be forced to buy time at the Spa lounge because of the noise across the hall! You know?

I will contact the line - yet again - sit through the 20 minute plus wait to get through and hope I can speak to someone who has a fair grasp of the English language. Failing that, I may try to contact someone higher up at the Cruise Line office. And ya, invest in a pair of really good ear plugs!:rolleyes:

And this is why using a travel agent who is a top seller for that line is so important. TAs doing many many thousands of dollars business with that cruise line will get a better resolution quicker.

I'll join everyone else in saying that I don't think the laundry will be noisy or a problem at all. While we haven't stayed directly across, we have been within a cabin away and, really, unless I happened to see that there was a laundry, would not have even known there was one there.

Free upgrades can be tricky, because sometimes what a cruise line considers an upgrade may not be what you consider an upgrade. That said, we often sail in guarantee cabins and so far have always had a good cabin.

We like Princess a lot; I bet you will have a great time; try not to let this little glitch keep you from enjoying your cruise. It is common with most cruise lines that unless you tell them no upgrade when you book, you could receive an unasked-for upgrade. Some of us really like that!

I'll join everyone else in saying that I don't think the laundry will be noisy or a problem at all. While we haven't stayed directly across, we have been within a cabin away and, really, unless I happened to see that there was a laundry, would not have even known there was one there.

Free upgrades can be tricky, because sometimes what a cruise line considers an upgrade may not be what you consider an upgrade. That said, we often sail in guarantee cabins and so far have always had a good cabin.

We like Princess a lot; I bet you will have a great time; try not to let this little glitch keep you from enjoying your cruise. It is common with most cruise lines that unless you tell them no upgrade when you book, you could receive an unasked-for upgrade. Some of us really like that!

Especially when getting an Inside Guarantee cabin and being upgraded to a Balcony.

You shouldn't have any problems. We had an inside cabin next to the laundrette, although there was a crew service locker in between. We had no problems with noise and liked the location so much we booked a similar cabin on another cruise. Having the laundrette so close was a real bonus in fact as we were on three week cruises both times.

Especially when getting an Inside Guarantee cabin and being upgraded to a Balcony.

That would be a great upgrade. We always do a balcony guarantee, usual get a couple category upgrade, once got a mini-suite, but I think our TA arranged that. She was a top agent with that cruise line and a really good friend of ours.

First, thanks so much for all the advice and encouragement! While I have done several Disney cruises, I am still relatively new to all this. I will now admit that we booked our cruise without using a travel agent. When we've tried to use one in the past, it seemed like all she did was make mistakes, and that she wasn't helpful. Should we try to use one now or is it too late being that we're already booked? Would a TA be helpful reserving shore excursions? Or air transportation? And again, showing my ignorance, how would I find a good one and is there a large fee?

Again, thanks for the help and I do feel better about the upgrade location. Sorry to bother you again. You, guys are great!:o

Would a TA be helpful reserving shore excursions? Or air transportation? And again, showing my ignorance, how would I find a good one and is there a large fee?

Again, thanks for the help and I do feel better about the upgrade location. Sorry to bother you again. You, guys are great!:o

A good travel agent can be invaluable in helping with your current situation but you will have to wait for the next time now

Ask friends & family if they use an agent & would they recommend them

Not all TA's are equal so do shop around & ask questions

Using a TA should not cost you they may charge a fee for booking air as they do not get commissions there but some will waive the fee if you are doing other travel with them

We are not allowed to mention specific agents here but I avoid large online TA's as most are order takers & do not really give you that personal touch

Check in your area for a brick & mortar Travel agency & talk to them see if they are a good fit for your needs