Why no deck 17?

live2dive45

Thanks for that information.

Do you also know why 13 means bad luck in many countries?

There are so many stories around it, SC, that your best bet is to google it.

To the OP ............... there are no cabin numbers ending in 17, either!

17 means bad luck, like number 13 in many countries.

British definitely P & O and I think American cruise ships dont have a deck 13 because of superstition.

Dont know what it means though.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

We sailed NCL on the epic last November and we were on deck 13. Every time I was on the elevator and asked to push the button for deck 13 it ended up in a conversation of how strange to have a deck 13. It also seemed like deck 13 was the only deck that swayed all the time back and forth! Strange but true!

We sailed NCL on the epic last November and we were on deck 13. Every time I was on the elevator and asked to push the button for deck 13 it ended up in a conversation of how strange to have a deck 13. It also seemed like deck 13 was the only deck that swayed all the time back and forth! Strange but true!

Did you notice if there were any cabin numbers ending in seven or a deck seven.

Some of the NCL ships that started in Asia do not have deck seven or cabin numbers ending in seven because seven is an unlucky number.

There are so many stories around it, SC, that your best bet is to google it.

To the OP ............... there are no cabin numbers ending in 17, either!

Actually there are cabin numbers ending 17 on Armonia and Sinfonia.

This is because the ships were bought from another cruise line (Festival Cruises) and the cabins were already numbered.

Opera and Lirica have neither 13 or 17 as the last two digits of their cabin numbers.

The rest of the fleet have cabin numbers ending 13.

All the fleet have a deck 13, non has a deck 17, bear in mind that the LIRICA and MUSICA class ships aren't big enough to have a deck 17.

Pete

Did you notice if there were any cabin numbers ending in seven or a deck seven.

Some of the NCL ships that started in Asia do not have deck seven or cabin numbers ending in seven because seven is an unlucky number.

On NCL I think it was rooms ending in "4" for some of the older ships.

On NCL I think it was rooms ending in "4" for some of the older ships.

Could be. I thought it was seven, but it was a number that I was surprised to see missing.

I noticed it on one of the ships that originally sailed in Asia - Star? Pearl? I don't remember.

With regards to the subject matter, who on here would NOT book a cabin either on deck 13 or a cabin number ending in 13? Personally it wouldn't bother me. The drawback of deck 13 on Fantasia class ships is that it's beneath the buffet and Lido deck which would be the reason I wouldn't choose it.

I wonder if Italians won't book cabins on Armonia and Sinfonia ending in the number 17? Or would MSC just not release them to the Italian market? clear.png?emoji-confused-1977

Our last cabin was 16013 and it never even crossed my mind. We were deck 13 the previous year. Fairly certain we're booked on 13 on one for next year, specifically booked there as it's under the spa & quiet. Again, didn't even consider it. Nothing untoward occurred. ..touch wood...

• 9 months later...

Way late to the party - found the thread on a Google search on why no deck 17 and was happy to find the answer. But no one really addressed the 13 question. I always thought that it was because there were 13 at the Last Supper or, alternatively, that Judas was the 13th at the Last Supper.

I always thought that it was because there were 13 at the Last Supper or, alternatively, that Judas was the 13th at the Last Supper.

That is correct. Judas Iskariot was the 13th apostle and betrayed Jesus. The irrational fear or extreme superstition concerning the number 13 is Triskaidekaphobia.

Could be. I thought it was seven, but it was a number that I was surprised to see missing.

I noticed it on one of the ships that originally sailed in Asia - Star? Pearl? I don't remember.

No, 7 is a lucky number, but 4 is death. And Tetraphobia is much bigger than all the other number phobias :D