Carnival Horizon hits pier in New York upon arrival

jetskier

Is Horizon the largest cruise ship using this port? Cunard Queens usually use Brooklyn don’t they?

QM2 is longer and wider than the Horizon and even though it usually now uses the Brooklyn cruise terminal, it used to dock in Manhattan (and once in a blue moon still does).

QM2 is a little bit larger than the Breakaway and a little bit smaller (though longer) than the Escape.

Dear shof515<

Yes the NCL ships. But on Carnival CCL :NYSE/LSE CUK :NYSE/LSE the Largest Passenger Cruise Ship is HORIZON.

You BTW may well know tommorrow the signing of the contracts dow at the Orange Juice Tanker Port in Florida should happen. That Ship, now unamed will be the largest Passenger Cruise Ship built. The 6,600 Passenger ship of Carnival is going to be less gross tonnage than some altready now built cruise ships.. Kinda Ironic ehh.

A FYI: Only twice I know of the QM2 had to use Bayonne, Hudson County, New Jersey as Pier 12 in Redhook was occupied..Yes during Marties administration in Brooklyn, NYC, NY

No. The largest for this port is the Norwegian ships like the Norwegian Bliss and Norwegian Escape

Yes. Cunard and Princess uses the Brooklyn Terminal.

Is Horizon the largest cruise ship using this port? Cunard Queens usually use Brooklyn don’t they?

We sailed the Breakaway out of NYC....I think thats 4500 passengers or so. Alot bigger, but yes very tight squeeze.

Side not....embarkation/debarkation is pretty crappy.....the terminal is just not built to handle that many people at a time. One of our poorest embarkation/debarkation experiences.

A FYI: Only twice I know of the QM2 had to use Bayonne, Hudson County, New Jersey as Pier 12 in Redhook was occupied.

I don't recall that happening; there have been rare times where QM2 docked in Manhattan if there was another ship (likely Princess) in Red Hook.

No. The largest for this port is the Norwegian ships like the Norwegian Bliss and Norwegian Escape

Yes. Cunard and Princess uses the Brooklyn Terminal.

QM2 is longer and wider than the Horizon and even though it usually now uses the Brooklyn cruise terminal, it used to dock in Manhattan (and once in a blue moon still does).

QM2 is a little bit larger than the Breakaway and a little bit smaller (though longer) than the Escape.

We sailed the Breakaway out of NYC....I think thats 4500 passengers or so. Alot bigger, but yes very tight squeeze.

Side not....embarkation/debarkation is pretty crappy.....the terminal is just not built to handle that many people at a time. One of our poorest embarkation/debarkation experiences.

Oh yeah, totally forgot about the NCL ships. And to think I was just looking at their sailings last evening. ;p

There is something special about sailing out of Manhattan but I knew there was a reason Cunard preferred Brooklyn.

Oh yeah, totally forgot about the NCL ships. And to think I was just looking at their sailings last evening. ;p

There is something special about sailing out of Manhattan but I knew there was a reason Cunard preferred Brooklyn.

It really is great out of Manhattan. Easy to stay a day or two nearby, and arguable the best sail away in the world!

Nope. The pilot is merely a consultant. The Captain does not give up physical control and is not required to except for one place, which is the Panama Canal. The pilot is onboard to give advice and info that may not be on the latest charts due to storms, accidents, etc that might have debris in place that it hadn't been or shifts in sand, etc. Every bridge tour I have ever taken (many) , the Captain has answered that question and they all say the same thing. They are still completely in charge of the ship and the pilot does not drive the ship, except in the Panama Canal.

I believe that it is the pilot's decision, that due to strong currents or winds, whether or not to call for tugboat assistance....

Dear Boytjie,

Yes the Piers sometimes even after scheduling remain used. The Passnger Cruise Ship Terminal I wager you have seen as well like been in when nothing was available in Brooklyn Borough as well. Fleet week has that a lot of times.

I have not heard more on the USS Ling thievery and leaving the hatches open with the rain storms flooding it and useless now , have you heard more?

I don't recall that happening; there have been rare times where QM2 docked in Manhattan if there was another ship (likely Princess) in Red Hook.

I asked DW where does Carnival find these captains? She said “I guess the same place they find their guests.”

Bennett of BennettAndDebbie

Poor Carnival. Another accident. Where do these Captains train?

Man you guys are funny.

Surprised it took so long for you to show here 2010.

Nope. The pilot is merely a consultant. The Captain does not give up physical control and is not required to except for one place, which is the Panama Canal. The pilot is onboard to give advice and info that may not be on the latest charts due to storms, accidents, etc that might have debris in place that it hadn't been or shifts in sand, etc. Every bridge tour I have ever taken (many) , the Captain has answered that question and they all say the same thing. They are still completely in charge of the ship and the pilot does not drive the ship, except in the Panama Canal.

The correct term would be "steer" the ship/ You do not drive a motor vessel... You're right tho.. The Pilot does not steer the ship, but neither does the Captain. A quartermaster steers the ship.. They are given their steering commands from the Captain at sea, and yes, the Pilot in ports. It is 100% true that the captain is always in charge, but trust me, in a place like the Mississippi River, the Captain of that ship does NOT want to be the one giving navigational commands. They do not know squat about the currents, channel, revetments, navigational lights etc. in the river. The Captain is more than happy to not have to deal with that.. How do I know? Easy, I have 4 family members who are Crescent River Port Pilots that bring the ships up the river daily.. I, myself have had a 1st Class Pilot's License for the Lower Mississippi River for some 30 years now. I run harbor tugs docking ships... I have done Pilot ride along many times on ships, including The Carnival Conquest and Carnival Triumph. In most instances, once the pilot gets on bard at the sea buoy and the captain has met the pilot, they don't even stay on the bridge.. The Pilot gives the steering commands to the quartermaster.. A Mate is always on the bridge with the pilot, but very rarely does the Captain stay up there

I will write to John Heald, the ship is now damaged goods and they need to discount my upcoming cruise on it. [emoji3]

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

You guys ruined MY vacation, with my hard-earned money. Carnival has really devalued the experience with scratch and dent ships. Think that will work for a 50% OBC?

I feel so bad for the captain when this stuff happens. Imagine the stress that adds to make sure it doesn't happen again.

For sake of correctness, there are actually two places the Captain relinquishes command of the vessel: the aforementioned Panama Canal, and when the bow of the ship crosses the sill of a drydock? Why those two places? Because in both cases, the Canal Authority or the shipyard assume full financial responsibility for the vessel and any damages it might make.

Now, as has been described better than I could by a former ship's Captain on the thread in the general forum, when the ship turns into the pier, the bow is in slack water, while the stern is still out in the current/tide, and this can cause the stern to sheer downriver, as happened here. The turn into the piers on the Hudson have been dangerous back to the heyday of ocean liners when tides and currents combine in ways that are tricky to predict (you can have tidal flow one way at the bottom of the river, and current flow the other at the top). Allisions and near misses are not that uncommon here.

Now, for those of you criticizing the Captain here, I would suspect, from observing many more dockings than most cruise passengers, that things went badly sideways far too fast, from "perfect" to "oh, sh**", for either the Pilot to react or the Captain to countermand the Pilot. Things happen. I challenge people to drive and park their cars without brakes and see how you do.

For sake of correctness, there are actually two places the Captain relinquishes command of the vessel: the aforementioned Panama Canal, and when the bow of the ship crosses the sill of a drydock? Why those two places? Because in both cases, the Canal Authority or the shipyard assume full financial responsibility for the vessel and any damages it might make.

Now, as has been described better than I could by a former ship's Captain on the thread in the general forum, when the ship turns into the pier, the bow is in slack water, while the stern is still out in the current/tide, and this can cause the stern to sheer downriver, as happened here. The turn into the piers on the Hudson have been dangerous back to the heyday of ocean liners when tides and currents combine in ways that are tricky to predict (you can have tidal flow one way at the bottom of the river, and current flow the other at the top). Allisions and near misses are not that uncommon here.

Now, for those of you criticizing the Captain here, I would suspect, from observing many more dockings than most cruise passengers, that things went badly sideways far too fast, from "perfect" to "oh, sh**", for either the Pilot to react or the Captain to countermand the Pilot. Things happen. I challenge people to drive and park their cars without brakes and see how you do.

I won't criticize, I have enough problems parallel parking my minivan.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

We sail out of the Manhattan Cruise Terminal all the time and generally have a smooth time with both embarkation and debarkation. I much prefer it to the other ports and the sail away can’t be beat! Brooklyn is a pain to get to from NJ.

Our next sailing from there will be on Azamara Journey and I expect that embark/debark to be a breeze. Tiny ship in comparison!