Pre-cruise hotels in Vancouver

Nikkipink

I am considering pre-cruise hotels in Vancouver and would value any insights into my shortlist of the Pan Pacific, the Fairmont Waterfront and the Four Seasons.

They all look great – and I know the first two hotels offer easy access to boarding the ship by foot and Four Seasons is located next to a large shopping mall.

Any insights please?

The best info can be found on the west coast departure board. There is a thread “Vancouver from a Vancouverite”. With excellent information. We stayed at the Best Western Chateau Granville. Several places to eat in the area. Short taxi to the port.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How close is the Pan Pacific really? I know, I've read "go right down the elevator," but I'm dealing with a mobility impaired individual who will be walking with braces and a rollator. Is it as close as a taxi could get us to the drop off point? Or is it the terminal entrance and then you walk 1/2 mile? Don't want to spend the big bucks if it won't really do the job.

How close is the Pan Pacific really? I know' date=' I've read "go right down the elevator," but I'm dealing with a mobility impaired individual who will be walking with braces and a rollator. Is it as close as a taxi could get us to the drop off point? Or is it the terminal entrance and then you walk 1/2 mile? Don't want to spend the big bucks if it won't really do the job.[/quote']

The Pan Pacific is right above the entrance/exit to the the Canada Place terminal. The bell staff of the Pan Pacific will also deliver your luggage directly to the ship. See https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2585671.

Edited by capriccio

How close is the Pan Pacific really? I know' date=' I've read "go right down the elevator," but I'm dealing with a mobility impaired individual who will be walking with braces and a rollator. Is it as close as a taxi could get us to the drop off point? Or is it the terminal entrance and then you walk 1/2 mile? Don't want to spend the big bucks if it won't really do the job.[/quote']

The Pan Pacific is above the terminal - you take the elevator down to terminal level and then walk maybe 3-4 minutes to the entrance of the terminal. A cab could get you closer (you wouldn't need to do the walk after the elevator) but bear in mind that, depending on what check-in/boarding procedures they have for your sailing you may have to drop your bags at terminal/ground level then take the escalator/elevator back upstairs to Hall C for check in, then come back downstairs for security and immigration, then board the ship!!! They don't always have this process but the last few sailings I have been on have been this way - it may depend on number of ships in port, etc??

A reasonable priced alternative (and my personal favorite) is The Blue Horizon on Robson. It's further away but has killer views and is the best deal in the city (or it used to be - maybe times have changed???) It's a great location for shopping/food/entertainment and IS walkable to/from the pier (about 15 minutes) if you don't have much luggage....

Of the three hotels on your list we have only stayed at the Pan Pacific but have stayed there several times. For convenience it can't be beat and the accomodations are lovely. The last time we sailed from Vancouver the rates at the Pan Pacific were sky high and so we stayed at the Hyatt Regency. It was very nice and just a short walk to the cruise terminal. I would not hesitate to stay there again if looking for a hotel at a lower price point than the Pan Pacific.

A reasonable priced alternative (and my personal favorite) is The Blue Horizon on Robson. It's further away but has killer views and is the best deal in the city (or it used to be - maybe times have changed???) It's a great location for shopping/food/entertainment and IS walkable to/from the pier (about 15 minutes) if you don't have much luggage....

I second the Blue Horizon. Lots of restaurants, taverns and shopping right outside the door!

First of all, make sure your ship is using the Canada Place terminal. I lived in Vancouver for 40 years and when we sailed with Celebrity in 2007 they docked at Ballantyne Pier which is not downtown.

The Pan Pacific is probably closer than a cab can get to the ships at Canada Place.

The Four Seasons is only a few blocks from the waterfront and directly attached to the downtown mall. Several Fairnonts, Hotel Georgia, the Hyatt or even the Bayshore Inn if you bring your own yacht are all great stays. Lots of choices close by.

I am considering pre-cruise hotels in Vancouver and would value any insights into my shortlist of the Pan Pacific, the Fairmont Waterfront and the Four Seasons.

They all look great – and I know the first two hotels offer easy access to boarding the ship by foot and Four Seasons is located next to a large shopping mall.

Any insights please?

I've stayed at both the Pan Pacific and the Fairmont waterfront. I preferred the Fairmont..........room was nicer, staff was excellent, resturants in my opinion better than at the pan pacific.........plus.......we left by mistake (this was a post cruise stay) several of our charging cords, didn't realize it for about a week, called and they had them, and mailed them back to us. (no charge)

with the Pan Pacific you basically take the elevator down to the port, with the Fairmont its across the street

I like the location overall

the port is basically basement of the hotel

Taxi could not get you closer (in fact not as close)

Add the Fairmont Pacific Rim to your list. You won't make a mistake picking any of your shortlists. Hotel room wise I prefer the Fairmont Waterfront to the Pan Pacific. It's right across the street. Pan is just an elevator ride away. Four Seasons is great and attached to the mall if you feel like a little shopping. All very good choices.

Anyone saying that a cab could not get you closer than the Pan is mistaken. A cab can pull into the parking lot of the terminal and drop you at bag drop. From the Pan you will have to walk that (albeit short) distance. I worked many years shoreside for Princess at Canada Place (as well as live in Vancouver) so I assure you that this is the case!

The biggest consideration for me if this was a concern would be whether or not I planned to check bags (if staying at the Pan they will often take the bags right from your room to the ship - or at least they have in the past). If I had luggage and chose to get a cab - the cab stops at bag drop off and the longshoremen take the bags right from the cab to the drop off area. Here is the catch (as mentioned earlier) - depending on how they have arranged check in for your sailing, you may have to go from the bag drop off UPSTAIRS to the check in hall (so if staying at Pan you would want to make sure which procedure is in place - if you don't NEED to go drop off bags then you may be able to avoid going downstairs at all at first). From the convention centre Hall C check in you would then need to go downstairs (which is where you started if you had to drop bags) for security and immigration and boarding the ship. Basically, no matter if you stay at Pan or get a cab, if this procedure is in place you will need to be prepared for walking (ask for a wheelchair if needed!) Having said this, they do not always use this procedure for check in - often they have security and immigration before check-in (in which case, you will be downstairs for everything) BUT the last few times have been upstairs with check-in first!!!

Also, for the past few years, Ballantyne Pier has been closed to cruise ships - not sure if they are planning on changing that anytime soon but I doubt it would be something to be worried about!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRg5n44RsbsOY-8nb3wwHEfINPH7Kq95dzlIO8FwhHj1D8yAOdc

Elevator to Pan Pacific

2Q==

Coming off the elevator from Pan Pacific, you need to follow the walkway around, past the coaches to the end where you will see the Bon Voyage sign (THIS is where cabs pull up)

9k=9k=

9k=

Edited by ceilidh1
Picture added

We stayed at the Pan Pacific in a room overlooking the harbour and enjoyied watching the sea planes come in with the mountains in the background.

The bus to the Capilano Suspension Bridge was just a two minute walk away (across the road outside of the information center).

We had no luck on the day catching the public bus to Stanley Park from near the hotel as it was full by the time it arrived at our end of town.

This hotel was an easy walk to Gas Town and after dinner we strolled along the foreshore down toward Stanley Park (really enjoyed this).

On cruise day it was great just catching the lift down to the pier.

We’ve stayed at the Pan Pacific and the Fairmont Waterfront and love them both! The Pan Pacific can’t be any easier since the bellman takes your luggage and you simply get in an elevator and ride down to the terminal. The Fairmont Waterfront is just a short crossing of the street, and they took our luggage for us, too. You can’t go wrong with either one, so go with the best price.

All your hotels are great choices.... but they are premium priced. Another vote for Blue Horizon for value travelers with great location for amenities.

First of all, make sure your ship is using the Canada Place terminal. I lived in Vancouver for 40 years and when we sailed with Celebrity in 2007 they docked at Ballantyne Pier which is not downtown.
no longer an issue. The Ballantyne stopped serving cruise ships a few years ago.

The Four Seasons Vancouver is a pale comparison to its brand. I would not suggest there. I heard that they are currently in litigation due to no upholding brand standards

You could also choose the Pinnacle, the Marriott Pinnacle, Westin Bayshore or the Coast Coal Harbour as good choices.

If you choose Coal Harbour as your “zone” it’s all very lovely, very safe, very vibrant with easy access to Cruise terminal and you can taxi, bus, shuttle or SkyTrain from the airport

If you choose Coal Harbour as your “zone” it’s all very lovely, very safe, very vibrant with easy access to Cruise terminal and you can taxi, bus, shuttle or SkyTrain from the airport

You can't beat Coal Harbour - I might be a little biased since that's where my house is!!! ;p