Oriana Leaving


Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:52 AM.
#21
348 Posts
Joined Aug 2017
Originally posted by Lesanne
Just back of Oriana June 9th no mention about this, though some of the crew were mentioning contract changes to other ships. Very sad to see her go as a great ship for dancing.
Will have our last cruise on her Xmas
Agreed about missing the Dancing in Harlequins, that leaves Aurora’s Carmen’s which is also good for dancing.
Unfortunately decent dancing facilities (Floor size etc.) come low in the pecking order.
As you probably know you are restricted to dancing in the Atrium on some of the ships.
We still don’t know what dancing facilities will be available on IONA. I would have thought a ship that size would have enough room for a decent size dance floor.
Enjoy your Xmas cruise.
#22
Carlisle, Cumbria, UK. No Carlisle is not in Scotland
680 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Originally posted by Froxfield
After a thoroughly miserable time on a recent Northern Lights cruise, where the cold on board was unbearable and there were leaks everywhere, I also am not surprised. Of course, the captain made all sorts of excuses about unusually low temperatures but it was pretty evident the ship was not "fit for purpose". The vibrations aft also made it difficult to enjoy performances in the Pacific Lounge! Frankly, we had already decided we would cruise no more on Oriana. It is sad because Oriana was a nice size and still looked very elegant.
After my one and only cruise on Oriana I vowed never to go on her again.
The vibrations mentioned were far worse in the dining room below the lounge. Frequent engine failures (three times in 17 days) meant loss of power to public rooms including the theatre resulting in no air conditioning and the curtailment of shows, lectures etc.
The lack of shower only cabins is an issue, being only 4'10" clambering in and out of a bath is problematic at the best of times, never mind if the ship was moving. How others, much older and physically more restricted than me coped I do not know. (In fact as the cruise went on it became clear that some people weren't coping). Plus the bathroom door opening inwards into an already cramped space made the room very awkward to use.
I think this sale is well overdue and will not be sorry to see her go.
#23
Carlisle, Cumbria, UK. No Carlisle is not in Scotland
680 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Originally posted by P-L-B
Agreed about missing the Dancing in Harlequins, that leaves Aurora’s Carmen’s which is also good for dancing.
Unfortunately decent dancing facilities (Floor size etc.) come low in the pecking order.
As you probably know you are restricted to dancing in the Atrium on some of the ships.
We still don’t know what dancing facilities will be available on IONA. I would have thought a ship that size would have enough room for a decent size dance floor.
Enjoy your Xmas cruise.
There is a dedicated ballroom on Britannia.
#24
Devon, UK
5,106 Posts
Joined Aug 2005
Confused! I've never had a cabin on Oriana that didn't have a shower. If fact I've never had one with a bath.

They will get rid of all these lovely ships over the next couple of years and only have the huge ones. That will be the end of P&O for me, but then I'm not the audience they are trying to appeal to.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jean



#25
182 Posts
Joined May 2018
So they found some mug to buy the old rust bucket.

Everything on board seemed to be broken, and as for the vibration in the dining room...
#26
Carlisle, Cumbria, UK. No Carlisle is not in Scotland
680 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Originally posted by jeanlyon
Confused! I've never had a cabin on Oriana that didn't have a shower. If fact I've never had one with a bath.

They will get rid of all these lovely ships over the next couple of years and only have the huge ones. That will be the end of P&O for me, but then I'm not the audience they are trying to appeal to.
There was a shower over the bath. Still involved climbing into and out of the bath tub.
The only cabins that are shower only (as far as I am aware) are the new ones put in the space vacated by the children's club when it became adult only. It was those cabins that flooded when I was on board.
#27
348 Posts
Joined Aug 2017
Originally posted by FangedRose
There is a dedicated ballroom on Britannia.
We've been on Britannia and disagree.
The dance floor is small and not so good, not as big as Oriana and Aurora.
Which gets us annoyed as it's a bigger ship.
#28
Sunderland England
9,732 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Originally posted by thecruisers6
Yep you hit the nail on the head. It’s all about profit and screw the customers plans.
Just booked an MSC Cruise so hopefully they read this
At least a little more notice than Adonia sale.
#29
Kent, England
6,626 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
I reckon the refit will be mostly installing a huge casino, the Chinese love their gambling
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Include tips in the fare now more seats not loungers please

Previously
Thomson Celebration x 4
Thomson Spirit x 3
Thomson Destiny x 3
Thomson Dream x 2
Thomson Majesty x 4
P&O Azura x 1
P&O Ventura x 6
P&O Oceana x 10
P&O Arcadia
P&O Britannia
P&O Aurora x 2
P&O Oriana
Marella Discovery x 3
NCL Epic

To come
Marella Explorer Sept 2018
Marella Dream Jan 2019
Marella Explorer April 2019
Marella Explorer July 2019
Marella Explorer 2 Oct 2019
#30
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
960 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
I am very sad to hear this . She is my favourite ship. I was aboard her last June for an excellent cruise and didn't experience any problems. After she has gone, only Aurora & Arcadia will interest me and if they are not going where I want to go, it will be off to Fred Olsen or CMV. P&O are sailing in a direction that I have no desire to go.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Andrew

Past: Cunard QE2 & Queen Elizabeth; P&O Victoria, Oriana, Arcadia, Aurora, Oceana, Azura; Sea Princess; Celebrity Summit; Fred Olsen Black Watch, Saga Ruby, Portuscale MV Funchal, MS Mayfair (Nile River Cruise), Marella Discovery 2 & CMV Marco Polo

Future: P&O Azura to Amsterdam(2019), Coral Princess to Alaska (2019).
#31
Cambridgeshire
331 Posts
Joined Feb 2016
BritBoys

Agree with you, have 2 further cruises on her October 2018 and May 2019,then it may become a struggle.

We are trying Arcadia in September 2019, but if not happy, only Aurora left for us.

But hey a nice problem to have, when you look around you.
#32
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
960 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Originally posted by mercury7289
BritBoys

Agree with you, have 2 further cruises on her October 2018 and May 2019,then it may become a struggle.

We are trying Arcadia in September 2019, but if not happy, only Aurora left for us.

But hey a nice problem to have, when you look around you.
Indeed - its what a friend of mine would refer to as very much a "First World" problem - i.e. as opposed to living in the 'Third World'. We have to think ourselves lucky to be "grappling" with such problems.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Andrew

Past: Cunard QE2 & Queen Elizabeth; P&O Victoria, Oriana, Arcadia, Aurora, Oceana, Azura; Sea Princess; Celebrity Summit; Fred Olsen Black Watch, Saga Ruby, Portuscale MV Funchal, MS Mayfair (Nile River Cruise), Marella Discovery 2 & CMV Marco Polo

Future: P&O Azura to Amsterdam(2019), Coral Princess to Alaska (2019).
#33
Gt Britain
274 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
I'm not surprised either. We haven't been on Oriana for a few years now, as the last time we thought she was past her sell by date. If they get rid of Aurora that's when we'll be saying a permanent farewell to P&O.
#34
Edinburgh
3,686 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
I am really very disappointed indeed by this and we are some of the people affected by it, with our cruise in September 2019 cancelled. Oriana was never my favourite but I did like her old-fashioned style and I liked the fact cruises on her were offered to places other than the fjords, Canaries and the big Med ports. The itinerary for our cruise was superb, visiting lots of smaller ports around the Med that we've long wanted to visit. We really like Britannia but most of her itineraries are standard fare with nothing to excite us and itinerary is very important to us. We recently tried Fred Olsen and to quote my husband "I feel like I'm in a zombie movie!!!"

There were so many rumours about Oriana which I've long ignored but when Aurora became adult only, I knew the writing was on the wall. We've had to book Azura as a replacement but I really don't know where we go from here as we only cruise from the UK.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Still to come:
P&O Aurora USA and Canada 16th September 2018
P&O Ventura Bermuda, USA and Caribbean 5th February 2019
P&O Oriana Spain, Corsica and Italy, 17th September 2019. CANCELLED BY P&O
Celebrity Infinity Adriatic, Sicily and Spain, 24th August 2019
P&O Ventura USA and Caribbean February 2020
#35
North West
1,908 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally posted by jeanlyon
Very sad news. That only leaves Aurora and Arcadia for us. Everything else is too big and Oceana only seems to do fly cruises.
Same for us Jean. They have cancelled our 2 b2b cruises in September and October 2019. We fully understand the reason for cancelling but they are penalising us because we are early bookers.

They have offered us £75 OBC if we transfer the cruise to another within 28 days but will not honour the price it was when we booked on the 1 st day. In reality the similar cruise we identified in the same grade cabin is now £400 pp more expensive than if we had booked it on the day of launch as we did for the cancelled Oriana cruise.
They did however very and magnanimously offer to not charge the usual £100 transfer fee from the cancelled cruise to the new cruise. So kind of them and you can only imagine our response to that.

Sue
#36
North West
1,908 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally posted by tartanexile81
I am really very disappointed indeed by this and we are some of the people affected by it, with our cruise in September 2019 cancelled. Oriana was never my favourite but I did like her old-fashioned style and I liked the fact cruises on her were offered to places other than the fjords, Canaries and the big Med ports. The itinerary for our cruise was superb, visiting lots of smaller ports around the Med that we've long wanted to visit. We really like Britannia but most of her itineraries are standard fare with nothing to excite us and itinerary is very important to us. We recently tried Fred Olsen and to quote my husband "I feel like I'm in a zombie movie!!!"

There were so many rumours about Oriana which I've long ignored but when Aurora became adult only, I knew the writing was on the wall. We've had to book Azura as a replacement but I really don't know where we go from here as we only cruise from the UK.
We were looking at the Azura as a replacement but the price had increased by about 30% from the launch price.
P & O wouldn’t honour our 1 st day booking price.
#37
London
694 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
We have 2 cruises booked on Aurora, both now much more expensive than our day 1 price. But I think we will be heading towards Oceania or even one of the 7 star lines. We prefer smaller ships anyway.


Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Van Gogh - Fjords - 2006 Athena - Iceland - 2007
Artemis - Baltic - 2008. Arcadia - Fjords - 2009
Balmoral - Spitzbergen - 2010. Zuiderdam-Alaska -2011
Balmoral - mini - 2012. Queen Victoria-mini
Rachmaninov - Moscow/St Petersburg - 2012
Oriana - Iberia - 2013. Bremen - Antarctica - 2014
Adonia - Caribbean - 2015. Expedition - Arctic - 2015
Riviera - East Med - 2015

SplendourOTSeas - Dubai-2016
Queen Victoria - CapeTown/Soton - 2016
Arcadia - Fjords - 2016
Oriana - Northern Lights 2017
#38
Edinburgh
3,686 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
Originally posted by kersh
We were looking at the Azura as a replacement but the price had increased by about 30% from the launch price.
P & O wouldn’t honour our 1 st day booking price.
We're exactly the same Kersh. Looking at Azura 2nd September but £2000 more
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Still to come:
P&O Aurora USA and Canada 16th September 2018
P&O Ventura Bermuda, USA and Caribbean 5th February 2019
P&O Oriana Spain, Corsica and Italy, 17th September 2019. CANCELLED BY P&O
Celebrity Infinity Adriatic, Sicily and Spain, 24th August 2019
P&O Ventura USA and Caribbean February 2020
#39
United Kingdom
556 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
Now I know why solo prices on Aurora after July 2019 have become totally silly. I could afford Silversea for what I was quoted and am currently negotiating prices. One thing is certain; if I leave P and O I will NOT book anything owned by the rapacious Carnival.