Shipboard Safes

jefa

I am travelling on the CB, and am wondering if the cabin safes are big enough to hold an iPad.

TIA

Yes they will but since they are small you may have to put it in at an angle depending on what else you put in there.

Are we talking about a 12" or just a 9" or mini? They come in different sizes?

Personally I don't see an issue leaving it out but out of sight. Never had an issue on a Princess cruise ship in 15 years of cruising. We normally just keep passports, cash and wife's jewelry in the safe. She has a bad habit of leaving rings and earrings on the night stand and the room steward found them on the floor when cleaning. The room stewards are extremely thorough and diligent IMHO.

framer

Yup - another drawer-stasher. With wallets, passports and prescription pain meds in the safe we don't have much extra room and have never had an issue with tech in a drawer (or even left on a counter).

Personally I don't see an issue leaving it out but out of sight. Never had an issue on a Princess cruise ship in 15 years of cruising. We normally just keep passports, cash and wife's jewelry in the safe. She has a bad habit of leaving rings and earrings on the night stand and the room steward found them on the floor when cleaning. The room stewards are extremely thorough and diligent IMHO.

I agree. I leave my 9" tablet and laptop out on every cruise. Never had a problem.

Never had any problem leaving my lap top out on the desk. When you use the safe make sure you keep anything magnetic away from the back of the door. DW put her handbag with a magnetic catch on it touching the door panel, this prevented us from opening it. Had to get security to override the lock and reset the safe.

Never had any problem leaving my lap top out on the desk. When you use the safe make sure you keep anything magnetic away from the back of the door. DW put her handbag with a magnetic catch on it touching the door panel, this prevented us from opening it. Had to get security to override the lock and reset the safe.

First time I've heard about that one.

First time I've heard about that one.

Don't even laugh, I carried my Vera Bradly purse with me on board, I kept my key card in the zipper on the opposite side of the bag that had a magnet, sure enough, I had to go to the PSD a few times because that dang magnet, demagnetized my card. I finally had to ditch the purse and carry the card in my pocket.

It is a good idea before you lock up your valuables in the safe, be sure to try setting your combination first on an empty safe.

On one of cruises our safe had a defective lock and all of our "stuff" was locked up. :eek:

It took 3 deck hands, two security officers, and a big hammer and chisel to get it open!!

Don't even laugh, I carried my Vera Bradly purse with me on board, I kept my key card in the zipper on the opposite side of the bag that had a magnet, sure enough, I had to go to the PSD a few times because that dang magnet, demagnetized my card. I finally had to ditch the purse and carry the card in my pocket.

Yes I've cancelled my cruise card numerous times because I have strong neodymium magnets epoxied to my case to attach in my car but never had problems a magnet interfering with the safe door.

Like I said it's a new one for me.

I would hate for it to happen just prior to leaving the ship.

More important than the physical tablet is the data on it. If you don’t have it passcode protected, your passwords, personal info, possibly credit card info, etc is a click away. Identity theft goldmine.

Leave it out and the physical device is still right where you left it - but was the data taken? You don’t really know so all these, never had a problem in a a zillion cruises are meaningless to me.

When you see a post all about - I was on xxx cruise line and now my credit card or identity is compromised. Have to wonder if the computer, phone, tablet, etc were left out and not passcode protected.

Just something to think about.

It is a good idea before you lock up your valuables in the safe, be sure to try setting your combination first on an empty safe.

On one of cruises our safe had a defective lock and all of our "stuff" was locked up.

It took 3 deck hands, two security officers, and a big hammer and chisel to get it open!!

A strap from purse got caught in safe door and it wouldn’t open. Maintenance came in and tried a code but it didn’t open. So he used a chisel on top and side and it popped open. Good to know?!?

Are we talking about a 12" or just a 9" or mini? They come in different sizes?

framer

I leave my laptop and all other devices except phones out all the time and I have never had any problems.

As a caveat, there are no accounts saved on any of my electronic devices. Not even a home page to my banking institutions so there are no risks.

A strap from purse got caught in safe door and it wouldn’t open. Maintenance came in and tried a code but it didn’t open. So he used a chisel on top and side and it popped open. Good to know?!?

Any safe only provides security for only so long. The ones on the ship will keep people out for a while provided they don't have the tools & time to get in.

Sounds like they did this after the safes pins were pulled open with the combo.

Our Samsung 10 inch tables is left right on the table in full view.

If he want's to lose his job over a missing item, so be it.

I doubt the person will lose his/her job. If you really want to tempt fate.. Also realize that when staff is cleaning it's very easy for someone to do a snatch & grab. We've been able to look into cabins that are wide open while the attendant is in the bathroom.