Cruise Elegant Night (Carnival Pride) - What to wear?

locarakko

I always wear regular khakis and a polo like pictured below and it seems to be the norm for most guys. However I do see older gentleman that will wear a tie and/or a button up shirt. Whatever you choose to wear, there will be others dressed like you. Don't worry about what other people think, just make sure you're comfortable and enjoy your cruise!

81tWNiCvDkL._UY550_.jpg

(No, that's not me)

Edited by teknoge3k
Added something

I've cruised on Pride four times, the most recent being last year (July 2017). If you wear a coat and tie you will be much better dressed than many of your fellow shipmates. However, you will not be a "fool". On Pride I have seen many families dressed up in their "Sunday Best" for Elegant Night. They take advantage of the opportunity to take family pictures or formal portraits with spouses. My wife and I always dress up - I'm active duty military and wear my Dinner Dress uniform, and my wife matches me with a gorgeous cocktail dress or even a long gown. Don't let the "I'm wearing shorts and flip flops and watch the world burn" crowd dissuade you from dressing to the level you want! Enjoy your cruise...I'm jealous, wish I was sailing someplace warm soon, too!

I've cruised on Pride four times, the most recent being last year (July 2017). If you wear a coat and tie you will be much better dressed than many of your fellow shipmates. However, you will not be a "fool". On Pride I have seen many families dressed up in their "Sunday Best" for Elegant Night. They take advantage of the opportunity to take family pictures or formal portraits with spouses. My wife and I always dress up - I'm active duty military and wear my Dinner Dress uniform, and my wife matches me with a gorgeous cocktail dress or even a long gown. Don't let the "I'm wearing shorts and flip flops and watch the world burn" crowd dissuade you from dressing to the level you want! Enjoy your cruise...I'm jealous, wish I was sailing someplace warm soon, too!

Just finished your last review swodog and enjoyed it very much. The first thing I thought of when I saw this thread was the picture of you and Mrs with the captain. Love seeing the pride of service, way to represent!

Headed out on the Pride and this is a first cruise. I know that the dress code allows a sport coat and tie, but will I embarrass myself if this is what I wear? I don't want to look like a fool.

From my experience I think you will be with the majority. Some will be dressed a step or two up, some a step or two down.

You're certainly not going to look like a fool.

Hope you have a great time.

Remember, this is an age where people can "identify" however they choose. Therefore you can self-identify "elegant" however you choose. For some people, this is a tuxedo, for others it's their finest walking shorts and least-ratty Harley Davidson T-Shirt. For most, it's somewhere in-between. "Elegant night" is Carnival's attempt to instill some class into the evening, but most take it as a suggestion, not a mandate. Dress as you will, no one will stop you.

Headed out on the Pride and this is a first cruise. I know that the dress code allows a sport coat and tie, but will I embarrass myself if this is what I wear? I don't want to look like a fool.

You probably want to wear a shirt and pants, shoes too;) (sorry, I couldn't resist). My husband plans to wear dress pants and polos most nights and button down shirt with tie and sports coat (and pants:D) elegant evenings.

Most nights are fairly casual and longer/dress shorts are allowed on casual evenings. Elegant night requires pants (although I can't imagine a dress kilt being refused) and athletic wear/swim wear is not permitted any evening in MDR. Some people will wear shorts on elegant night, but they may get refused entry.

Have a great cruise! We sail the Pride in less than 3 weeks:hearteyes:

Unless u like to dress up a collared shirt and dockers are more than fine

You are welcome. You wanna wear a suit, stay at work.

Actually, you arent required to wear a suit for Elegant evenings. Dress slacks and a collared shirt is what is required. I would respond to you with if you want to wear shorts on elegant evenings, go to the buffet or order room service

If i were in the MDR with you, I would make sure the Maitre'd did his or her job. How rude and selfish of you

Coevan, you would appreciate this....Was on the Freedom a few years back. First Elegant evening (I think it was referred to as "Formal" back then) This one table right next to ours had this group of if i remember it 8 people (4 couples), apparently all friends and they were loud.....They were on THEIR vacation and were going to let you know it. The first night (casual), yucking it up really loud, yelling out things like "Hey waiter, what does it take to get a drink around here" stuff like that (real trash). I was considering asking to move my table because i dont mind a little fun, but this was over the top. I let it go, hoping it was just a day of to much indulging on their part, it will be better. If memory serves me, the next night was Formal night. So in walks Billy Bob with his crew. The 3 guys were in Khaki pants and polo shirts, but not Billy Bob.....Billy Bob is in gym shorts and a t shirt.....right away the volumne is up with "Can i get a drink around here or what" and ole BB knew what he was doing because i could hear him saying "Let them throw me out, they dont have the balls.....i will wear what i want" I normally dont care what people wear, i dress appropriately, but to each their own. I was actually ready to say something to the Maitre D because you could tell this dolt was itching for an argument...."I done paid my money, will wear what i want"....Lo and behold the MD walks over and says to Billy "Sir, i apologize for any misunderstanding but you will have to change your attire" BB tells him to basically go pound salt, get me my drink (i am literally sitting 6 feet away, so i can hear everything). The MD to his credit never lost his cool at all, turns around and walks away. Billy Bob thinks he has won, starts talking real loud "Yeah everyone, thats right, if you dont like what i am wearing, too bad"....2 mins later, the MD comes back with 3 security guys and again says "Sir, why dont you take a moment to change your attire" BB answers with "what are you gonna do" (I will always remember the MD's line)....The MD smiles and says "Sir, i promise, if you dont leave now to change, i will make this the worst night of any vacation you have ever had. So either you move now, or i will move you". I really thought it was going to go down there but Billy got up and left.....1/2 the MDR cheered and applauded. The rest of his group got up to leave as well....Needless to say i am guessing the 8 of them spent alot of time in the buffet, because we didnt see them in the MDR the rest of the cruise

Edited by Knights Templar