Diamond Plus Experience

KKMurphy2

I did not mean to be argumentative nor judgemental and I am sorry I came across that way. I actually meant what I said, that I appreciate the clarification, I've read over and over about meeting people in the lounges and always been confused as to why this is not possible elsewhere and had not considered the desire to meet a smaller number but then have a strong likelihood of seeing the same people night after night to develop a relationship.

That's all.

I'm glad you enjoy the lounges. I'll continue to enjoy them on cruises when they are not overflowing and happily enjoy my drink coupons otherwise. I manage to run into people many times over the course of a cruise lounge or no lounge, but it is more sporadic and I can appreciate maybe not for everyone.

Thanks for the explanation! I appreciate your input. :)

So sad that it took us so long to become D+ and ever since then we are starting to ask was it worth it for the perks we were promised a long time ago when joining C&A?

Those of us that are D+ should not have lost anything in the change of perks...no reason to demote us now down to a DL...those of us that have been loyal should be treated just as "sweet/suite".

I think you have verbalized my feelings very well. But I suppose it is like changes through the years. I remember Filet in the main dining room and flaming baked Alaska at the table side, mints on the pillows, etc. etc. I just wonder where it is headed. I tried one Carnival cruise and truly disliked it. But I think RCCL is more and more like that experience every year. The main example of this is not a show every night (unless you count Love and Marriage as a show). I just booked my Harmony entertainment and again 6 options for a 7 night cruise.

Wow. We are two Pinnacles who are mild in spirit and try to always be nice to everyone. However, if that were to happen to us there would be a comeback from each of us that would be remembered by that D or D+ for a very, very long time.

And I would be behind you cheering you on...quietly of course...trying to muffle my giggles. ;):D Let em have it!! ;p

Still hope to cruise with the two of you again soon! :)

So sad that it took us so long to become D+ and ever since then we are starting to ask was it worth it for the perks we were promised a long time ago when joining C&A?

Those of us that are D+ should not have lost anything in the change of perks...no reason to demote us now down to a DL...those of us that have been loyal should be treated just as "sweet/suite".

You want Suite perks, just book a full suite.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On the first boarding day (22 Oct) we boarded right after Pinnacles since we were in a JS. We basically ignored the email about arriving later due to the inspection. We were at the terminal and checking in by 1030 and we boarded at 11 so there was no delay. Especially since we also reboarded at 11 the second week. It took longer to drop off luggage and park than it did to drive to the terminal from the Radisson and check in. Luggage drop off is a bit chaotic with the passenger dropoff traffic crossing each other.

We're back on GR in April and as D+ we get to use the CL, which we prefer on that class. I can get a chocolate martini in the CL on GR plus the view from the VCL is great.

Was the inspection on the 22nd? Walked right in and checked in by 1020. Sat in the waiting area and boarded a little before 11 and was surprised we got on so soon with inspection. Must have seen you on that first day also.

Did you eat in ck often? We were in there 4 nights each week about 630pm.

We made d+ on the first night of the second week. For the past 2 years we have cruised grandeur every March and love sailing on her. Is the cl above the vcl on grandeur? We love the do on grandeur as it is a nice view aft and lots of space because the whole south Pacific lounge is used as overflow.

This year we will be doing serenade and freedom in feb instead. Will be sure to check out the cl then. Hope to meet you on another cruise.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

You want Suite perks, just book a full suite.

I shouldn't "have" to.

My favorite JS category is plenty accommodating for us personally ... Not the same comparison at all to say that I should "have" to book a suite to get the perks I loyally have striven to obtain, only to now get them continually reduced.

I shouldn't "have" to.

My favorite JS category is plenty accommodating for us personally ... Not the same comparison at all to say that I should "have" to book a suite to get the perks I loyally have striven to obtain, only to now get them continually reduced.

Well, we have a dilemma it seems. Not sure what D+ lost.

Was the inspection on the 22nd? Walked right in and checked in by 1020. Sat in the waiting area and boarded a little before 11 and was surprised we got on so soon with inspection. Must have seen you on that first day also.

Did you eat in ck often? We were in there 4 nights each week about 630pm.

We made d+ on the first night of the second week. For the past 2 years we have cruised grandeur every March and love sailing on her. Is the cl above the vcl on grandeur? We love the do on grandeur as it is a nice view aft and lots of space because the whole south Pacific lounge is used as overflow.

This year we will be doing serenade and freedom in feb instead. Will be sure to check out the cl then. Hope to meet you on another cruise.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Yes, inspection was 22 Oct. We had received an email about it. We ate in CK one night on our second week. NOT impressed. Food was meh and service was just ok.

On GR, the CL is IN the VCL, not above. When you come up the stairs, the CL is just to the right of Izumi, entrance is to the left of the elevators. The CL happy hour usually extends out into the VCL to include the entrance area between the two elevators. They rope it off. The DL on GR is usually very busy due to the sheer number of repeat cruisers out of the DC/Baltimore area. We much prefer the CL. Easier to get drinks and apps. We're on GR once or twice a year when we're not on another ship(April and Nov usually). We were on in March 2014 when the deck 10 running deck split due to high waves and cold temps. We had 30 foot seas one day as well as high winds. We're on GR in April 2018 then on Anthem in Oct 2018 and GR in March of 2019.

I think you have verbalized my feelings very well. But I suppose it is like changes through the years. I remember Filet in the main dining room and flaming baked Alaska at the table side, mints on the pillows, etc. etc. I just wonder where it is headed. I tried one Carnival cruise and truly disliked it. But I think RCCL is more and more like that experience every year. The main example of this is not a show every night (unless you count Love and Marriage as a show). I just booked my Harmony entertainment and again 6 options for a 7 night cruise.

Since the launch of the Oasis class, there have been six shows for which you need reservations on the seven night cruises.

The Diamond Lounge is for Diamond Plus members. Or are you implying that you don't want to mingle with Diamond members?

My experience is that you get the same service and benefits at both lounges. Other than the name of it....no difference. I use both lounges, but, if D+ is no longer allowed in the Concierge lounge...no problem at all. Actually, I prefer the D lounge for our evening cocktails. I’m talking about the Grandeur, which is the ship we cruise on 99% of the time.

Gwen [emoji3]

My experience is that you get the same service and benefits at both lounges. Other than the name of it....no difference. I use both lounges, but, if D+ is no longer allowed in the Concierge lounge...no problem at all. Actually, I prefer the D lounge for our evening cocktails. I’m talking about the Grandeur, which is the ship we cruise on 99% of the time.

Gwen [emoji3]

Last time I checked, D+ was still welcomed into CL.

I shouldn't "have" to.

Well said...my thoughts exactly.

If everyone booked a suite...the ship would sail almost empty. ;)

I find the JS perfect for our needs also. Happy cruising! :)

Gwen [emoji3]

Agree each ship is different. I like the CL over the DL on Radiance series, but prefer the DL to the CL on Freedom series.

Otherwise we like having the choice of picking from which ever lounge is not as busy, and which ever one the coffee machine is not broken! :(:o

Dislike not having the choice on Oasis series unless you cough up the extra bucks for a full suite. :(

I am D+ and I am trying to understand your comments here particularly "demotion". Not trying to minimize your feelings. What promised perks have you actually lost as D+ ? You can still use the CL and DL and you also get 3 drink vouchers each per night (that is a more recent perk added). Here is my experience. We have sailed in suites often and actually prefer the DL almost every time to the CL/SL. Same drinks. Same appetizers. Same coffee machine. In my experience more staff and better service in the DL. Also we tend to have more in common with the frequent cruising guests in the DL. We sometimes find the Suite or Concierge Lounge full of one-time cruisers, or families which don't control their kids behavior since they are on vacation. If we go to the DL after peak time we can usually find a seat and no matter what time new friends and good conversation.

Edited by TeeRick
typo

Thanks for the tip. We will be on the Oasis next week, and I was wondering what it might be like. Will wait till 6pm.

That’s exactly what we do. Many leave to go to early dining which frees up some seats. I don’t need to stay there for multiple hours anyway.

I am D+ and I am trying to understand your comments here particularly "demotion". Not trying to minimize your feelings. What promised perks have you actually lost as D+ ? You can still use the CL and DL and you also get 3 drink vouchers each per night (that is a more recent perk added). Here is my experience. We have sailed in suites often and actually prefer the DL almost every time to the CL/SL. Same drinks. Same appetizers. Same coffee machine. In my experience more staff and better service in the DL. Also we tend to have more in common with the frequent cruising guests in the DL. We sometimes find the Suite or Concierge Lounge full of one-time cruisers, or families which don't control their kids behavior since they are on vacation. If we go to the DL after peak time we can usually find a seat and no matter what time new friends and good conversation.

I guess I'll come to Ashland's defense. I am D+ and love the CL over the DL. The reason is simple, a quieter lounge. In my experience the CL is generally better run than the DL. The waiters are less "harried," and the concierges are, IMHO, better. It seems that they put the better concierges in the CL. We sailed on Oasis in Jan. in a JS and again in Oct. in a Crown Loft. i agree that the wait staff in the DL were superb, as was the concierges. But I enjoyed the Suite Lounge for the intimate and less crowded experience. Yes, I did sometimes go to the bar as both waiters also tended bar. No big deal. I can easily carry my own drink. But for me, not having availability of a CL for happy hour is a "demotion." I don't blame RCI, they are trying to upgrade their suite amenities to attract the passengers. No problem. But by losing the CL for an SL, it overcrowds the DL (I love initials, especially since, as someone pointed out, they're really DC and CC). So being forced into a much more crowded experience does, in my opinion, seem to be a loss of a perk. That said, I'll continue to sail RCI for lots of reasons. And I didn't "chase Diamond," I just liked RCI better and suddenly I WAS Diamond. Free drinks saves me $300-$400 per cruise. I really don't drink much other than at happy hour.

Agree each ship is different. I like the CL over the DL on Radiance series, but prefer the DL to the CL on Freedom series.

Otherwise we like having the choice of picking from which ever lounge is not as busy, and which ever one the coffee machine is not broken! :(:o

Dislike not having the choice on Oasis series unless you cough up the extra bucks for a full suite. :(

I agree,we like a lounge to have big windows with great views and will go in either the DL or CL whichever has the best outside views.

The perks refer to Oasis class ships new SL which replaces the CL and doesn't allow D+ access.

We were on Liberty in July, not in a suite, but as D+ we were able to go in either lounge. Has it changed since then?

The SL on Liberty has been for Suites and Pinnacles only since April 2016. The card reader was finally installed and working July 1, 2017. However, for a few weeks, the D+ Cards were working in the reader and a few D+ we’re entering the Lounge unauthorized. There is a sign next to the card reader, showing a picture of a Gold Card, which states only cruisers with Gold Cards are allowed in the lounge. Sometimes the Concierge is too busy to notice those unauthorized to enter.

Guess you can say yes, something has changed since you were on the Liberty, the D+ Cards have been fixed so they no longer work in the SL Cardreader.

Carla