A Current Affair Tonight - Another Booze Cruise?

lyndarra

Caught the promo for the show tonight. As I'll be winging my way to Qatar I'll miss it. Has there been anything on the forums about it I haven't noticed? Something about 1200 blokes making life miserable for others or will this be another beat-up?

ACA + Beat Up

Now how could you suggest such a thing?

Perhaps tomorrow nights story will be on a Noro virus outbreak....

Interestingly the journos all love their freebies on the cruise ships but are quick to put the boot in - no ratings/news in good news I guess

Edited by Stickman1990

A story about Australian families getting caught up with an Indian company that booked a 1300 fellas on a trip. Lots of parties etc, closed bars, changed menu, no bingo and uncomfortable attention. They felt they should been told about large groups booked on their cruise. Royal have refunded them the cost of their cost.

They showed Voyager of the Seas docked in Sydney several times inferring the cruise left from Australia. They then said it was a 3 night cruise that sailed in September. A no stage did they say this was a cruise that was outside of Australia waters as VOS is based in Singapore.

After my initial comments I have to say it wasn’t too bad in terms of what they presented

Certainly wouldn’t have wanted to be on that cruise - even if it was a 3 day cruise

But I guess you never know who else is going to be on a cruise

Royal Caribbean gave them a full refund

As long as security onboard stepped up at the time to ensure appropriate behaviour and personal safety then I don’t know what else Royal Caribbean could have done

They took crates of food onboard. I’m amazed they got it through security

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I doubt very much that they would have physically taken crates of food on board themselves. If there were 1300 of them Royal may have tried to cater for them accordingly . Anyway, Channel 9 got their usual " sensational shock horror" story ( the cruise was from Asia not Australia as channel 9 were trying to make us think) and the whingers got their refund ( which was what they were after in the first place) so everyone happy. Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Nice beat up with a sprinkling of sensationalism :D Par for the course for ACA then.

I don't love the idea of the 2/3n CTNs anyway. You never really get settled and they are more likely to be hijacked by large groups. Though if a third of the people on board were on an organised conference or party, I'd certainly like to know about it, especially if regular services or facilities would be unavailable for regular punters.

We did a two nighter last year, sure it was a booze cruise with lots of hens parties and bucks parties.

But

We ew that was likely and it really didn’t impact us much.

The biggest negative was that because it was two nights, everyone was trying to sample everything and that meant lines.

We didn’t even get to try the burger bar as each time we went there the lines were just horrendous as everyone wanted to try one.

A story about Australian families getting caught up with an Indian company that booked a 1300 fellas on a trip. Lots of parties etc, closed bars, changed menu, no bingo and uncomfortable attention. They felt they should been told about large groups booked on their cruise. Royal have refunded them the cost of their cost.

They showed Voyager of the Seas docked in Sydney several times inferring the cruise left from Australia. They then said it was a 3 night cruise that sailed in September. A no stage did they say this was a cruise that was outside of Australia waters as VOS is based in Singapore.

Probably Telstra Call Centre staff cruise.:rolleyes:;p

We did a two nighter last year, sure it was a booze cruise with lots of hens parties and bucks parties.

But

We ew that was likely and it really didn’t impact us much.

The biggest negative was that because it was two nights, everyone was trying to sample everything and that meant lines.

We didn’t even get to try the burger bar as each time we went there the lines were just horrendous as everyone wanted to try one.

Thou art a brave man Mr GUT, a two night booze cruise would put me off cruising for life. 14 nights minimum for this little black duck and duckess.:hearteyes::loudcry:

I’ve only ever done a 3-5 night cruise due to being on Dialysis and not being able to miss my treatments for longer than that but I’ve yet to experience any major issues on those cruises - I’ve ran into more rude parents and kids than anything else.

This cruise sounds like it was bit over the top and perhaps RCI should have told the passengers about it but it sounds like this family got exactly what they wanted: a free cruise 🤷*♀️

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Did they say why an Australian family was taking a 3 night cruise from an Asian port?

Seems like an odd concept to me. Perhaps just part of a larger holiday.

That puzzled me too. However, I wouldn't be too happy with such much of the ship closed off to the passengers who weren't part of the group.

Just saw it on Channel 9 website, horrendous, but at least they got a refund.

I agree with you, "horrendous". I watched the original broadcast and felt I would have been very unhappy to be on that cruise. I don't blame the people for wanting some compensation. Maybe it was only after Channel 9 got onto it that the passengers were offered a full refund.

I agree with you, "horrendous". I watched the original broadcast and felt I would have been very unhappy to be on that cruise. I don't blame the people for wanting some compensation. Maybe it was only after Channel 9 got onto it that the passengers were offered a full refund.

Yes, RCI would have been in damage control after the broadcast. I saw the whole re run on Ch9 Current Affair website, Playboy Bunnies and all. :hearteyes:

This just confirms why all cruise lines should disclose when groups are booked so that an informed decision can be made as whether to book or not.

I can't see it ever happening. There would be mass cancellations in many cases although it would depend on what the group was. In this case, if other passengers were told there would be 1300 employees of a tobacco company on board, would they have been alarmed? Presumably the company name would have been used and that wouldn't mean much to most people. I had never heard of the company. They weren't to know what the behaviour of the group was going to be. I wonder if the company brought the 'Playboy bunnies' we saw in the video, or were they the ship's dancers? Even if passengers were concerned, it is a big step to cancel a cruise and lose your deposit and (in this case) probably air fares as well.

This just confirms why all cruise lines should disclose when groups are booked so that an informed decision can be made as whether to book or not.

Now define group?

We need to be practical - What number of people travelling together would constitute a group? And if the group books close to sailing what would the obligation be in respect of the thousands of other passengers booked on the cruise?

I think more useful would be advance notification of particular key facilities not being available for a particular cruise

Now define group?

I think more useful would be advance notification of particular key facilities not being available for a particular cruise

I definitely agree it is better to know about unavailable facilities.

The Australian passengers possibly included the 3-night cruise as part of an overall holiday and certainly should have expected a party cruise, but having the pool deck overtaken by 1300 men was too much. There were probably many other Singaporean and Asian passengers on board, but from my experience they tend to stay inside the ship. Outdoor-loving Aussies understandably were affected and I don't blame them for wanting a refund. Most people want an easy meal from the buffet at least once during a cruise.

We did a Celebrity cruise a couple of years ago from Singapore to Singapore for 14 nights and had 700 Mexicans on board ranging in age from teens to 60 somethings.

They didn’t impact our cruise that much but after about the third night the buffet went from the usual fare to about 60% Mexican food. No venues were closed to the general passengers, and we mostly ate in the main dining room.

One day we went to one of the lounges for trivia and there was a small group of Mexicans (about 8) in the corner talking and laughing quite loudly, we could not hear the questions, it didn’t last too long, a few passengers went and spoke to them, I don’t know what they said, anyway they left in a huff and much clapping from most in the room! The funny thing was the crew member didn’t say anything to them even though he knew they were disrupting the trivia!

We had a great cruise.