How close to departure date should you book a cruise?

If you are looking for next month....then anytime is good to book. The cruise will already be inside its final payment period which means you will be required to pay in full at time of booking (or within a day). This is also a good time to look around for bargains...which means you should shop around among some major high volume (reputable) cruise agencies.

Hank

Depends on if you are picky about the level, type and location of your cabin. Your choice may not be good.

Or...there may not be any left in the time frame you have available.

As mentioned, last minute airfares can take a bigger bite.

All depends on your flexibility.

When i live in city with many cruise lines. I pick up my cell and called ship line.

Monday book ship with up grade and cash back for less money and sail off on sat or sun on same week.

Now, living sea lock, but have plane and we can fly to any port city in usa.

You can get great deals by booking close to the sailing date. If flights are needed, higher flight costs may offset any cruise savings though.

I have friends who are very flexible with their work schedules and rarely book more than 2 weeks ahead. They just watch for a great deal and go, but live within a 10 hour drive of 5 departure ports and don’t mind driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The closest to departure you can legally book was 72 hours last I checked. Your issue is finding cruise with whatever number of cabins you need, in what ever configuration need.

Thanks for all the replies. There are 5 of us going. Myself, Husband and 3 - 20 year olds

Triple occupancy and Quad occupancy cabins are limited on every ship and are often hard to find on close in sailings.

The closest to departure you can legally book was 72 hours last I checked. Your issue is finding cruise with whatever number of cabins you need, in what ever configuration need.

Must have been a while since you checked. The manifest goes in to CBP 60 minutes before departure. On Carnival, you can call and book in the morning and sail in the afternoon. Most other lines allow you to book the night before. the 72 hour thing is an urban legend with no basis. EM

the 72 hour thing is an urban legend with no basis. EM

Followed your lead and find reference to the 60 minute limit currently. Knowing of everyday computer and web issues, just wondering what happens when clearance not possible within that 60 minutes. As far as the 72 hour rule, Princess did have it on their web page and access to pax "personalizer" page would lock three days prior to embarkation.

Our cruises booked 3/4 months before sailing have been our best deals.

The ones booked 6 months before and over have been an amazing wait though....especially booking the Vista when she became available. Was fun seeing her get built then sailing on her in her inaugural season.

I generally wait until after the final payment date to book our cruises. That's when the big bargains happen. But it's also when prices can go up for ships that are selling well. It's always a risk. I booked the cruise we took last month at the end of December--52 days before the cruise.

We do the same. Book in the final payment window. We always want a balcony. We determine a strike price. Then we narrow our choice down to two or three ships. We follow the peicing closely since price changes can occur for one day only, up or down. When our price hits, we book immediately through our on line TA. Three days prior has been the closest for us.

The trick is to understand what a good price is, select several ships that you would be happy with, and be patient. This has worked for us countless times. And after the buy, stop looking at prices. Chances are if you expect to get the very lowest price you will be vacationing in your back yard. Like air, there is always someone who paid more, and someone who paid less. This is what first caused us not to be loyal to any one cruise line.