Pants or Nice Shorts for husband in restaurants?

Noreen411

Hi

This will be our first cruise on Celebrity. We normally cruise Royal Caribbean.

We have booked a Royal Suite on Celebrity Reflection so will be eating in either Luminae or Specialty Restaurants

I see online it states the dress code as men needing to wear pants for dinner. This is similar to what it said on Royal Caribbean’s website as well.

I’m looking for what people actually do.

We were on Anthem recently in a Grand Suite so ate mainly in Coastal Kitchen (similar to Luminae) and I was surprised to see many people in shorts and T Shirts. Often not even nice shorts.

What other people wear doesn’t impact my enjoyment, but if people are more casual than the website states, I would rather know in advance.

If my husband can wear his nice shorts and a button down top to dinner, he’ll be happier than wearing pants. But he’ll wear whatever he’s supposed to.

Let me know what your experience has been. Are some restaurants more formal than others?

Thank you

Noreen

Long pants for men is one of the few dress policies that Celebrity does enforce. Generally it doesn’t matter what kind, but from past experience we find that khakis/ dockers and nice jeans are the most frequently types worn. Men in shorts are sent back to change at dinner.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Long pants for men is one of the few dress policies that Celebrity does enforce. Generally it doesn’t matter what kind, but from past experience we find that khakis/ dockers and nice jeans are the most frequently types worn. Men in shorts are sent back to change at dinner.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you for explaining what happens on board. He should be fine in Khakis or Jeans if he can’t wear his nice shorts.

Thank you

I think your husband would feel out of place in shorts in any of the dining locations for dinner. Slacks are what most men tend to wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for clarifying what happens on board

Noreen

Shorts not permitted in any restaurant for dinner. Can go to Buffet in shorts.

Hi

Yes, I saw that on the website.

I am trying to find out what really happens on board as my experience on Royal was that it was different from what the posted rules were.

Hi

I am trying to find out what really happens on board as my experience on Royal was that it was different from what the posted rules were.

There will always be some people that believe the rules do not apply to them - whether it be shorts in the dining room, reserving lounges around the pool or reserving seats in the theater. The only real question is whether or not the cruise line enforces their policies. While Celebrity does not have 100% strict enforcement of all of the above, they do seem to be less lax than many other lines.

There will always be some people that believe the rules do not apply to them - whether it be shorts in the dining room, reserving lounges around the pool or reserving seats in the theater. The only real question is whether or not the cruise line enforces their policies. While Celebrity does not have 100% strict enforcement of all of the above, they do seem to be less lax than many other lines.

Hi

We aren’t trying to break rules or stand out.

Just looking to understand what people really see onboard rather than what is posted

Thank you

Hi

As others have said shorts are not permitted in any restaurant on Celebrity

Except the buffet. What happens is he will not be permitted into the venue. Many of the restaurants make an exception on the first night as they know some don’t get their luggage. You will be told it is not permissible on other nights.

Hi

You will find Luminae has the ambiance of a Speciality dining venue...Coastal Kitchen is far more relaxed....Agree with others that trousers ( of some sort) and polo or shirt will be fine...enjoy. You will find the food and service level in Luminae a step up from Coastal.

As others have said shorts are not permitted in any restaurant on Celebrity

Except the buffet. What happens is he will not be permitted into the venue. Many of the restaurants make an exception on the first night as they know some don’t get their luggage. You will be told it is not permissible on other nights.

Hi

Good point on the first night - I’ll tell him he can wear his shorts then but pants the rest of the cruise

Thank you

You will find Luminae has the ambiance of a Speciality dining venue...Coastal Kitchen is far more relaxed....Agree with others that trousers ( of some sort) and polo or shirt will be fine...enjoy. You will find the food and service level in Luminae a step up from Coastal.

Hi

I was wondering if it would be different. Someone posted Luminae menus and they looked pretty identical to Coastal Kitchen.

Even the specialty restaurants on Royal were pretty casual.

He’s good on the shirts and normally wears a nice bottom down shirt with his nice shorts on Royal (and was dressed better than many in Coastal Kitchen) but he’ll wear his pants if that’s the norm on Celebrity.

Thank you

Hi

Just looking to understand what people really see onboard rather than what is posted

Thank you

As mentioned by others, no shorts permitted in dining rooms in the evening...okay in the buffet for dinner.

No pool attire in mdr for lunch either...have observed that enforced. Cover ups and shirts req in buffet for lunch,,,

As mentioned by others, no shorts permitted in dining rooms in the evening...okay in the buffet for dinner.

No pool attire in mdr for lunch either...have observed that enforced. Cover ups and shirts req in buffet for lunch,,,

Thank you for the info on lunch too

We saw men being refused entry into Luminae because they were wearing dress shorts. It was funny to see the wives saying, “I told you that you couldn’t!”.

Happy that celebrity has some dress standards unlike rccl, looking forward to Luminae this Saturday on summit.

Hi

Just looking to understand what people really see on board rather than what is posted

Thank you

Sent from my IPhone using Forums

I believe I saw some men in shorts at the Lawn Club Grill the first night of the cruise on Reflection. We ate very early, though. I think it was about six. The Lawn Club Grill does have a more casual vibe than most other Solstice Class restaurants. When it is cold and windy, the Lawn Club Grill can be chilly because it is semi-open to the fresh air.

Men can and do wear shorts in the Ocean View buffet at night, but here's the thing. Most of the men on the ship will be in pants, so when you use the elevators or walk anywhere else on the ship, especially on the third, fourth and fifth decks and in the theater and lounges, you will see the majority of men in long pants at night.

One other thing you might observe. The first and last night of the cruise can be a little more casual. I don't know why, perhaps because not everyone has their suitcases yet or on the last night they have packed most of their clothes. Still on our last cruise (last week) I saw a few people in formal attire the last night. Perhaps it was a private party.

You will rarely see jeans worn in dining rooms at dinner,either sex. Same during day. Usually too hot for them .

I've worn dark jeans in both the MDR and Murano on recent cruises.

As for shorts, the only times I've seen shorts allowed in the MDR was on embarkation day and the person's luggage had missed their flight. The hostess refused entry until the maître d spoke to the guest to clarify the situation. They were then ushered in to a quiet corner of the MDR.