Right to a Refund if Ship is Not Functioning Properly??

rpmljm

If a ship (Grandeur) has something not functioning (stabilizer) properly and I don't want to go and be sick most of the time, do I have the right to a refund? It also has an engine that is broken and in need of repair. The repairs will not be made until after our cruise. People who have just returned on her have stated that many were sick including crew and performers. Shows were cancelled. People who have cruised frequently said it was far worse than anything they had experienced. Since Grandeur goes back and forth along the east coast, this is a huge problem. I'm very worried about leaving on Saturday. I do use scopalomine patches, but I'm afraid under these circumstances, they won't work. Thoughts? Thank you!

Contact whomever you booked the cruise with, either your TA or Royal Caribbean, explain your concerns, and ask them if you can change to another ship. I assume you didn't take out cruise insurance with "cancel for any reason" clause?

Edited by papaflamingo

If a ship (Grandeur) has something not functioning (stabilizer) properly and I don't want to go and be sick most of the time, do I have the right to a refund? It also has an engine that is broken and in need of repair. The repairs will not be made until after our cruise. People who have just returned on her have stated that many were sick including crew and performers. Shows were cancelled. People who have cruised frequently said it was far worse than anything they had experienced. Since Grandeur goes back and forth along the east coast, this is a huge problem. I'm very worried about leaving on Saturday. I do use scopalomine patches, but I'm afraid under these circumstances, they won't work. Thoughts? Thank you!
I think the problems had more to do with the Weather/Sea conditions then the ships mechanical condition.:eek:

Thoughts?

No stabalizer is going to fix bad weather - that's what caused the issues on previous sailings.Any engine issue is not going to affect the stability of the ship, tough you will get a partial refund if the engine issue affects the itinerary. I suggest a few days off from reading stuff about cruising.

As stabilizers and a smooth ride are not part of the contract I highly doubt you have a leg to stand on here. You will also have a hard time to prove the non-functional stabilizer and to go further from there, there is no guarantee anyway that stabilizers will be deployed even when functioning.

As for the engine - I have no idea if this information is correct or not - you might, and I have to seriously stress the might, have a leg to stand on if this has any impact on your cruise, but only then, as ships usually have more than one engine and usually not using all of them anyway, so it shouldn´t impact your cruise in any way.

no you are not entitled to a refund just because you heard things were less than perfect on board. engine issues means they go slower between ports. worse case , they skip a port or rearrange the itinerary. those are not grounds to receive a refund since the contract states ports and itineraries can change at any time for any reason.

shows get canceled due to a variety of reasons and no you cannot get refund because they are not held.

far worse in what way? I have sailed GR many times and since she is a smaller ship you will feel excessive weather/sea conditions more readily regardless of whether or not the stabilizers are working properly.

If you bought “cancel for any reason” insurance, invoke it if you wish. If you did not buy that type of insurance, you do not have a right to a refund for those alleged issues. Stabilizers are not a cure-all. The east coast has had rough weather of late. Ships rock, and in rough seas they may rock a lot, stabilizers or no.

Like others I have not heard of engine problems on Grandeur. Could be true, could be bunk. If itinerary must change substantially due to engine issues, you might get a small good-will OBC, but contract says that itinerary can change so you cannot get a refund even if itinerary changes greatly.

As others have mentioned, there have been several storms over the last couple of weeks up and down the east coast. Unfortunately, this is one of the perils of cruising. If the weather is bad, there is a very good chance you will feel it regardless of stabilizers. I highly doubt you will receive a refund based on something you heard from a few people on a prior sailing.

Several cruiselines/ships have been affected by weather conditions recently so I would say to not cancel, use your scopolamine patch and enjoy your cruise. You might be pleasantly surprised how well it goes.

You have very little if any recourse. Especially since you have advanced knowledge of an issue. The cruise lines have legions of lawyers to fight you in Florida since that is where you must file suit.

You would spend 20x the amount of the cruise fare to fight this issue.

At best, maybe they would give you some minuscule compensatory (good faith) voucher.

It sounds to me like you are just going just to be an opportunist. If that is your motive. I wish you well. And i sure hope the cruise lines attorneys have a sense of humor.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

To add some specifics to what others have said:

Stabilizers do not stop a ship from rolling. Stabilizers slow rolling to a more comfortable level. It is a cruise ship's inherently high center of gravity that causes it to resist rolling at first, but then when it does start to roll, it produces a large righting moment to bring the ship back upright, and this large moment causes the ship to "snap" back quickly. The stabilizer has to have some roll movement to react to, and it only works out of synch with the ship's roll to slow it back to comfortable levels. In bad weather, any ship, stabilizers or not, will roll.

The reason cruise ships have multiple engines is that one can be taken out of service without interrupting the vessel's operation. These engines are taken out of service for a total overhaul (complete tear down and service) every 12,000 hours, or about every 2 years. These overhauls can take 2-4 weeks to complete. So, twice a year, Grandeur will have one of its 4 engines down for an extended period. Unless it is something that requires the complete replacement of the engine, there is no reason that the line would not complete repairs as soon as possible.

So, as others have said, the ticket contract states the line will provide transportation aboard a seaworthy vessel, and Grandeur, even without stabilizers, and with only 3 diesels working, if true, is still seaworthy. So, unless you have "cancel for any reason" insurance, you won't get a refund.

Hope all works out well with your cruise. I love Grandeur it is so homey. Anyway, about the scope patches. Make sure you try it at home first. I had terrble double vision. I could not read a damn thing. Another person in our group of 10 saw "trails" behind anything that was moving. I switched to meclazine which they had at the medical center and was fine and NOT drowsy.

A refund? Come on, get real. As long as the ship sails, its a full price cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

First of all, I thank those of you who offered me genuine advise, information and good wishes. I appreciate it so much. For those of you who suggested that I am trying to get money from RCI, I resent that. I have no notion to start a lawsuit. It was an honest question that I didn't know the answer to. I posted a genuine question that I am legitimately concerned about, hoping for respectful replies. Silly me. First of all I got my information about the things that are broken directly from RCI, not hearsay. The engine issue does not concern me. I thought I had made that clear...maybe not. I merely mentioned it because it happens to be a broken item. I thought this forum was for respectful helpful advice. Someone suggested staying off social media. I thought that's what this was. Since I don't know how to delete posts here, I will turn off notifications for it, so say what you will. Glad I'm not cruising with some of you.

Years ago, a cascade of stuff went awry. I pulled out the cruise contract and read it. I pretty much came to the conclusion by contract they were to provide a berth on a seaworthy vessel and food. Slight exaggeration, but you get the gist.

Sad if you were offended, though everybody basically stuck to the topic and gave consistent answers to your question. I’ve seen way, way tougher language on the internet, and, indeed, on this forum. People here do not know you, won’t know you and did answer your question. Try not to take anything personally.