My first Transatlantic will I get bored?

wlbox

Just booked our first Transatlantic on the Crown. 14 days in early April to Barcelona. Concerned about all the sea days. Do they have any different daytime activities on TA cruises? No guarantees with the weather nowadays, is it usually warm enough for the pool or hot tub? Does the Crown have entertainment system in cabin like on Royal? Loved all the movie choices. Promenade deck go all around the ship? Library? Anything else I need to know? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just booked our first Transatlantic on the Crown. 14 days in early April to Barcelona. Concerned about all the sea days.

Do they have any different daytime activities on TA cruises? Could have a guest lecturer or two. Likely more live music and movies, and of the bursts of micro-entertainment in the Piazza.

No guarantees with the weather nowadays, is it usually warm enough for the pool or hot tub? On a Southern route to the Med it should not be too cold; the bigger deterrent to sitting outdoors is usually the wind.

Does the Crown have entertainment system in cabin like on Royal? Loved all the movie choices. Nope.

Promenade deck go all around the ship? Yes.

Library? Yes, a bit more useful than the one on Royal.

Anything else I need to know? Thanks. Other than that you should have asked these questions before booking? :halo: But in all seriousness, TAs are pretty much a love-em or hate-em proposition. I've been on four (though none on Princess) and that number likely would be higher were it not for that pesky 8 or more hour flight either before or after. Only way for you to find out is to try one.

See my thoughts in red above.

I’ve done several trans-Atlantic’s and trans-Pacifics with lots of sea days. On one 31-day cruise, we had 20 sea days. I’ve never been bored on a ship. So much to do that I usually have to choose. There are usually two lecturers onboard, each giving a lecture every sea day on a variety of topics. Movies, entertainment, trivia, get-togethers on a variety of interests, book club, afternoon tea, etc.

No, the Crown does not have the interactive TVs like the Royal but there are movies and shows on the TV in cabins.

Will you get bored? Maybe....maybe not. That is entirely up to you. We have met folks that get bored on a single sea day. And then there is DW and myself who would happily enjoy 20 sea days in a row. To be honest, we do not need any activities, cruise directors, etc. We can easily fill our days reading and socializing. For us, the best activity on any cruise is meeting some of our fellow cruisers and making new friends.

Hank

We have done several TAs, we do not need non stop activities... we enjoy watching the sea go bye, walking the main deck, a movie, a book, sleeping in - breakfast in our cabin, we establish a routine... just enjoy it, I hope you will too.

Will you get bored? Maybe....maybe not. That is entirely up to you. We have met folks that get bored on a single sea day. And then there is DW and myself who would happily enjoy 20 sea days in a row. To be honest, we do not need any activities, cruise directors, etc. We can easily fill our days reading and socializing. For us, the best activity on any cruise is meeting some of our fellow cruisers and making new friends.

Hank

That is me. Sitting on a ship and staring out at the sea which has nothing on it to see say after day drives me bonkers. My ideal cruise is one with zero sea days.

Different strokes etc.

DON

We've done one transatlantic last year on Princess and have another scheduled on the Royal Princess in April. I recommend that you bring sone of your own hobbies on board as there is not all that much offered by Princess. If you are very outgoing, you could hang out in bars and meet a lot of fellow cruisers. Lectures/enrichment are sketchy. Library is even more sketchy. I went to the fitness center everyday, very good. Maybe some programs on the telly? Honestly Princess does not provide a lot of quality diversions for sea days so plan for your own entertainment.

I think if you have to ask that question the answer will be "Yes".

We just did a T/A on Pacific, admittedly a small ship, and the highlight of the day was mini golf in the atrium, the equipment for this consisted of a putter, a golfball and a paper cup.

On previous cruises on this ship they had plastic trees and other obstacles to liven it up but they said they couldn't find them any more.

I’ve done several trans-Atlantic’s and trans-Pacifics with lots of sea days. On one 31-day cruise, we had 20 sea days. I’ve never been bored on a ship. So much to do that I usually have to choose. There are usually two lecturers onboard, each giving a lecture every sea day on a variety of topics. Movies, entertainment, trivia, get-togethers on a variety of interests, book club, afternoon tea, etc.

No, the Crown does not have the interactive TVs like the Royal but there are movies and shows on the TV in cabins.

I second what Pam says. I've been on 6 TAs, all but 1 with Princess. I very much enjoy them. :D

I've done as many as 8 sea days in a row and have never been bored.

Besides the numerous activities offered every day by the Cruise Director's staff, guest lecturers, movies in the theater, wine tastings, comfy lounges on deck, awesome ocean views and a few paperbacks and/or books downloaded into my Kindle, a crossword puzzle book ...... I'm a happy cruiser!

But then, I'm not one who needs someone to entertain me.

I had always wanted to do a TA and last September we finally did, on CB. Southampton to Ft Lauderdale.

As to whether you'll be bored, as others have written, this has everything to do with your preferences and patterns. We love a bit of a late start in the morning, a few hours on deck reading / walking or watching. Late lunch in the MDR and an activity or two in the afternoon.

We loved the many sea days and the little routine that quickly developed for us.

My neighbor across the street can't imagine being "trapped on a ship" for even 7 days. My wife and I recently did 28 days on Emerald and 18 of those were sea days - including the last 8 days in a row coming back to LA from Moorea. We were never bored.

We have a 14 day Circle Caribbean coming up in March. The first port was cancelled and a lot of people were upset but we were kind of glad of another sea day. That gives us 5 sea days out of the 14 day cruise which will seem pretty hectic to us. Port days are interesting but tiring whereas sea days are relaxing. Like others have said, boredom is somewhat specific to the person.

This is an interesting conversation to me for more reasons that whether or not one would enjoy a transatlantic cruise. I for one hope to go on one, one day, because I love sea days (or at least I think I do based on my limited experience). My entire life I honestly can't think of a time where I was truly bored!!! My wife is the exact opposite; she recalls boredom a lot as a child and will still complain of being bored. The closest for me to get bored is to sit through a long lecture I have no interest in, but even then, my mind wanders and entertains me so it doesn't even apply then. I've always considered my wife much more intelligent than I am, so maybe that's it, but then doesn't it take some imagination to be entertained by following your own train-of-thought to wherever it leads? Whatever you decide to do, I think I could sure manage to be "trapped" on a beautiful ship with plenty to eat, the sea and wind to enjoy, and my cellphone (which rings incessantly) to be largely out of order! Dream come true!

MakeItCount has summed it up nicely,

It is like the old adage is the glass half full or half empty.

If somebody is worried about being "bored" they are starting on the back foot,

Try looking at the positives, no computer or phones to distract you, everything is done for you, you can relax.

Cheers Don

Best cruises bar none IMO, no schedules, no work, no worries etc etc. Drink as much or as little you want, eat as much as you want or not much at all, after activities take a nap, and you can be as busy as you want. Our choice is do nothing but people watch and watch movies on the big screen and finish the day off with a few martinis.

Please, please give me a day at sea with nothing to do. Repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat. Love a ta crossing.

Only you will know whether or not you will get bored but because you are asking, I think you might have a concern, so perhaps. As previously mentioned, I also know people who couldn't imagine being "trapped" on a ship in the middle of nowhere.

The only way to accurately know is to do one! Hope you enjoy. It can be renewing if you let it.

Here's a little aside, my friend and I wanted to experience the 10 hour train ride from Montreal to NYC on a girls escape a couple of years ago. I thought "Nice, I'll give it a try but will probably want to stab myself after a few hours." Well, we both loved it! (minus the dirty rest rooms). You'll only know if you try.

Train travel, some years ago for my partners birthday and gave her a trip on the Indian Pacific from Sydney to Perth ( but started at Adelaide then went to Sydney and back across to Perth ) so all in all about 4000 miles and 100 hours on a train, and we had a lovely cabin as well ( but it is now a lot dearer than cruising )

Cheers Don

Read your policy. It dictates what your benefits are. However, I wouldn't cancel. You could come down a virus, etc. anywhere. Just take basic precautions and hope for the best. I just cruised on the Royal over Christmas and was healthy until I stepped on the airplane to return home. Horrible cold but that's just life!