Answering the call of nature on HAL?

Kingofcool1947

DW and I are long time cruisers on Princess.

But, we are considering a first time cruise on HAL.

I am wondering, when the need to answer the call of nature arises, do you use the public crappers on HAL, or go back to your cabin to sit on the Royal Throne?

I ask because I am concerned about the overall cleanliness of public crappers aboard ships. In your experience, are the public crappers on HAL keep very clean, and to your satisfaction? Do you generally use them?

And does HAL have sanitizer dispensers at the entrance(s) of the buffet, and the dining rooms? Is sanitizing PAX’s hands before entering the buffet area(s), or the dining venues closely monitored by HAL staff, and strictly enforced?

FWIW, Princess advises PAXs to use the one in PAX’s cabin to minimize the chance of catching stuff like Noro or E.coli from the public restrooms.:eek:

How about HAL? Do they give any guidance on that?

Thank you.

In my experience, the public restrooms on HAL are kept spotless and have hand sanitizers nearby; there is hand sanitizer by entrances of buffet and main dining rooms— it’s use is highly encouraged and staff is always seen cleaning

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In my experience, the public restrooms on HAL are kept spotless and have hand sanitizers nearby; there is hand sanitizer by entrances of buffet and main dining rooms— it’s use is highly encouraged and staff is always seen cleaning

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you! That’s comforting to know. :)

We don't always have time to go back to the cabin and thus have to use the public restrooms. They are very clean.

You will find the hand sanitizers at the entrances to the Lido and all specialty restaurants and inside the restrooms. There is not always someone there enforcing you to use them unless the ship is in Code red.

DW and I are long time cruisers on Princess.

But, we are considering a first time cruise on HAL.

I am wondering, when the need to answer the call of nature arises, do you use the public crappers on HAL, or go back to your cabin to sit on the Royal Throne?

I ask because I am concerned about the overall cleanliness of public crappers aboard ships. In your experience, are the public crappers on HAL keep very clean, and to your satisfaction? Do you generally use them?

And does HAL have sanitizer dispensers at the entrance(s) of the buffet, and the dining rooms? Is sanitizing PAX’s hands before entering the buffet area(s), or the dining venues closely monitored by HAL staff, and strictly enforced?

FWIW, Princess advises PAXs to use the one in PAX’s cabin to minimize the chance of catching stuff like Noro or E.coli from the public restrooms.:eek:

How about HAL? Do they give any guidance on that?

Thank you.

I wasn’t aware that HAL had public crappers. However there are numerous public toilets and they are maintained in a very clean condition. Sanitizer dispensers are readily available throughout the ship.

Wash your hands regularly and you're good to go.

Unless it has changed, I think that's a weakness of the Koningsdam. At least when I was onboard there were no sanitizer dispensers at the lido entrances. There were handwashing machines which I think do a better job, but they take more time and people seemed to be passing on them essentially doing nothing to clean their hands.

Roy

Unless it has changed, I think that's a weakness of the Koningsdam. At least when I was onboard there were no sanitizer dispensers at the lido entrances. There were handwashing machines which I think do a better job, but they take more time and people seemed to be passing on them essentially doing nothing to clean their hands.

Roy

In March, it seems to me they had the dispensers as well as the hand washing machines. I agree the hand washing stations are far superior, but take longer.

We have no hesitation about using public lavatories on HAL ships, and I don't recall ever hearing them encouraging returning to your cabin.

I don't recall seeing stewards at the MDR door squirting Purell on our last two or three cruises, but the dispensers were there. I think HAL may have decided that either it's not that effective ... or maybe it's another cost-cutting step if less is used.

Sailed 4 times on HAL, and can confirm the toilets are very clean. I've used many of the public ones on the ship (as I have a bladder problem), and never have I ever seen a dirty one. There are individual facecloth size towels for you to use, and there is a paper towel dispenser right beside the door that has a note saying use the paper towel to open the door. No worries about using the public ones.

Sailed 4 times on HAL, and can confirm the toilets are very clean. I've used many of the public ones on the ship (as I have a bladder problem), and never have I ever seen a dirty one. There are individual facecloth size towels for you to use, and there is a paper towel dispenser right beside the door that has a note saying use the paper towel to open the door. No worries about using the public ones.

HAL is known as the c lean fleet for good reason, theyare always cleaning this that or what ever . If it moves, they greet,, it,,,,,,,, if it doesn' t move they clean it. :) Any guest s who walks by is always greeted. :)

In March, it seems to me they had the dispensers as well as the hand washing machines. I agree the hand washing stations are far superior, but take longer.

Yes, washing hands is far superior to squirting sanitizer, which, according to the CDC, has little effect on Noro virus unless it's been mixed with bleach! A few drops of bleach to a cup of sanitizer works. We always wash hands before eating, and it's good to know washing stations are near Lido on Koningsdam which we board December 20.

As for public restrooms, the staff keeps them very clean, and I've never had a problem using them. Sometimes, it's just too far or too time-consuming to trek back to the cabin.

Yes, washing hands is far superior to squirting sanitizer, which, according to the CDC, has little effect on Noro virus unless it's been mixed with bleach! A few drops of bleach to a cup of sanitizer works. We always wash hands before eating, and it's good to know washing stations are near Lido on Koningsdam which we board December 20.

As for public restrooms, the staff keeps them very clean, and I've never had a problem using them. Sometimes, it's just too far or too time-consuming to trek back to the cabin.

Yes, ^^ this. :)

We really like the Konigsdam hand washing stations and hope HAL adds them to more ships. The layout could be reconfigured so that 2 people can more easily use them at the same time (as far as we are concerned) -they need to be next to each other in a straight line versus next to each other in a corner. It might take a bit more time to use them but it’s so much nicer to have warm water instead of harsh chemicals from the hand sanitizer.

I'm surprised OP was advised to avoid the public rest rooms (by Princess).

Actually, HAL makes the same recommendation - which obviously makes sense. While HAL's public restrooms always seem spotless and well maintained, any facility used by others must be seen as involving more risk than one strictly your own.

I just disembarked K and I don't recall ever seeing the dispensers at the entrance to the Lido. In fact, the only place I can remember seeing them was on the pier.

The hand washing stations did not seem too popular. Not that I was really paying attention, but it did not seem as though they were used too much.

HAL is known as the c lean fleet for good reason, theyare always cleaning this that or what ever . If it moves, they greet,, it,,,,,,,, if it doesn' t move they clean it. :) Any guest s who walks by is always greeted. :)

That's pretty much been my experience on every line I've sailed.