B.B. King's Blues Club Question

jimdee3636

Although my wife and I have cruised on HAL nine or ten times, we've never been on a ship that had a B.B. King's Blues Club. But in 2017 we'll be sailing on the Zuiderdam, which has one. My question is: when is the Club normally open? Before dinner? After dinner? Late night? Every night, or just a few times each sailing? Any and all info would be appreciated. Thanks!

We had three sets on the Westerdam. I think the last one was at 10:00 or 10:45 pm. Need to check my On Locations. They are on line.

There was a 45 minute break in between each.

Enjoy :)

Edited by kazu

On the Noordam last month there were 3 shows each evening, at 8:45, 9:45, and 10:45, except, I believe, for the last night, when they were 1/2 hour earlier. And one night they held a show in the main lounge, although we did not attend that one. We thought they were quite good.

Hope this helps.

George and Lori

On the Rotterdam's VOV this year, there were 3 sets of 45 minutes each: 8:00, 9:00, and 10:00.

I think they are all individual musicians on individual contracts and not a real group. Aboard ship, they come together and provide a superior enterainment experience. For me, it shows how professional they are and how musically gifted they must be.

We found the best way to enjoy them was to bring ear plugs as that managed down the excessive volume. Without earplugs we could not be in the Lounge for any length of time. We cannot figure out why HAL thinks they need to be so loud as excessive volume often masks musical nuisances that can be very enjoyable. We suspect they are much more talented than what is heard and we wished it was possible to hear them with better production value.

We found the best way to enjoy them was to bring ear plugs as that managed down the excessive volume. Without earplugs we could not be in the Lounge for any length of time. We cannot figure out why HAL thinks they need to be so loud as excessive volume often masks musical nuisances that can be very enjoyable. We suspect they are much more talented than what is heard and we wished it was possible to hear them with better production value.

Never thought "too loud" at all. Love BB King Blues club bands and is major reason we prefer HAL to all other lines. Not into "piano bar", showroom production shows, etc. Like our rock and roll and BB King Blues band provides our kind of music. Rock, soul, blues! Show times will vary but generally 3 each night. Beginning usually 8:45, but I have seen variation in this. Not 45 minutes between shows generally. I found usually 15 minutes between shows, maybe 30 but never recall 45 min between shows. Some people will stay for all the shows. I think times may vary by ship too but are always published in the daily schedule. In main showroom once per cruise on the 11 night, not the 10 night. That was really great show! Best band was on Noordam spring 2015 with Darryl Stanley and Tempest! Wow! Also Darryl was on Dec 2015 Oosterdam. Band on Westerdam early 2016 not as good but still enjoyed. Bands are managed by BB King Enterprises(something like that) and the musicians change quite often. Some groups better than others obviously, but we have always enjoyed and musicians quite good. Have a great time! Can't wait for our Zuiderdam 12/16 sailing to check out band on that ship.

Jane

On the Rotterdam's VOV this year, there were 3 sets of 45 minutes each: 8:00, 9:00, and 10:00.

I think they are all individual musicians on individual contracts and not a real group. Aboard ship, they come together and provide a superior enterainment experience. For me, it shows how professional they are and how musically gifted they must be.

On my VOV this year it was 9:00, 10:00 and 11:00hrs.

And it was certainly a good band!

We recently spent 24 days on the Zuiderdam, and the BB King group played 6 nights a week at 8:15, 9:15 and 10:15. Sets were about 40-45 minutes long. There were a few evenings where the schedules were slightly altered...or they only played 2 sets.....do to scheduling issues caused by other events. I would add that the group we had on the Zuiderdam was terrific and packed in the crowd on many nights. But this BB King group's contract recently ended. They were on the ship around 6 months...and it was time to go home :). Of course another group of singers/musicians was due to take their place.

Hank

On our 17 day TA the BB King band played most nights at 8:45, 9:45 and 10:45. We thought they were very good (not loud at all) and played more blues than the band on our last Zuiderdam cruise who played more of a mix with early rock and roll. Sadly, some of the shows were not well attended and on one evening we went in for the last show and no band on the stage! We were told they would perform for a minimum of four guests so with us making it two, no show.

I totally agree with you. You have said it well so now I don't need to post.

We love the BB King bands on Hal cruises. We have had 3 different groups. All were fantastic musicians 'and 2 out of the 3 had large crowds at the sets we attended. On our cruise is Jan of this year we found a lot of other ships' staff attending the shows. Although loud, we did not find the music too loud and my DH even spent lots of time with me on the dance floor!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I was on the VOV this year too and went to see the group nearly every single night...often there were not many of us there. I thought they were great and conversed with a couple of the group a time or two.

I was on the VOV this year too and went to see the group nearly every single night...often there were not many of us there. I thought they were great and conversed with a couple of the group a time or two.

When I attended a show, it was the 10:00 one. Quite right, a sparse crowd! I wonder: were you one of the women who was dancing once in awhile?

I really enjoyed them and particularly when they did songs by Abba!

We heard them on the Nieuw Amsterdam. Earplugs made it almost tolerable. It's a low-ceiling lounge and I felt it was not a good venue for them or for us. The stage was very shallow so that the musicians could not see each other well and interact. They played one night in the main show lounge which was better. m--

s

When I attended a show, it was the 10:00 one. Quite right, a sparse crowd! I wonder: were you one of the women who was dancing once in awhile?

I really enjoyed them and particularly when they did songs by Abba!

Only danced once! I often left after the second set to go to the showroom. Always felt guilty about it too...it was sad, I thought, that the audience was so small. I thought they were terrific.

Edited by Barrheadlass

s

Only danced once! I often left after the second set to go to the showroom. Always felt guilty about it too...it was sad, I thought, that the audience was so small. I thought they were terrific.

On our recent Zuiderdam we were so unimpressed by the singers/dancers in the main production shows that we skipped several shows (we have seen most of them multiple times) and split our time between BB King and the Piano Bar. As others have mentioned, it can be loud in that BB King venue...but that is the nature of most club music. Besides, on HAL it takes loud music to wake-up most of the passengers (who are in bed before 10).

Hank

Although my wife and I have cruised on HAL nine or ten times, we've never been on a ship that had a B.B. King's Blues Club. But in 2017 we'll be sailing on the Zuiderdam, which has one. My question is: when is the Club normally open? Before dinner? After dinner? Late night? Every night, or just a few times each sailing? Any and all info would be appreciated. Thanks!

I've been on HAL ships for many, many days but unfortunately, have never been on one that had a B.B. King band. I'd really like to hear it. I'll keep looking forward to the experience.

Scott & Karen