Anthem: New Evening Dress Code - MALL WEAR

compman9

It's been a while since my last short RCI trip, but on a 5 day to Bermuda last week, I saw something that surprised me

I know a lot of Americans no longer want to 'dress up' but the days of classy cruising have clearly finally disappeared. I was one of just 6 tux wearers on formal night (there may have been more, but in the theatre and main dining room, plus everywhere else we walked that night, that is all I saw). There were also very few ordinary suits

It seems that shorts and T-shirts are now de-rigueur in the main dining room for some, and the main dress code appears to be Jeans and a polo shirt. Or, just what people might wear to the mall

The 9 day to Canada I disembarked from yesterday was a little less scruffy and a fair few more people made more of an effort. I find it a bit of a shame, but customer is king and if that's what the current passenger wants I will also dress down in future

Flame away folks

We just got off a 7 night on Harmony. My husband typically wears a suit on formal nights, but we had our 25 year old son with autism on this trip. I put him in pants and a nice button down short sleeve. On non formal nights, he wore shorts and an nice shirt. I always wear dressy dresses because I like to, and don't really care what others wear. There's a lot of boards and posts on other websites where people whine that they dint want to dress up on their vacation. Personally, I feel these people should stay in the buffets, but whatever. If you're comfortable in a tux, I say continue to wear it. I will continue to wear my sequined dresses.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was about to say what is formal nights like on Anthem. As it is a bigger ship and I am cruising in December and have been on a hunt for a nice formal dress to wear for christmas.

You can wear whatever you want. Anymore on Royal, you see a full range of attire, from shorts (nice ones) to tuxedo.

I was on Allure recently and saw few tux's which I think look so handsome!! My husband wears a full suit which I also love!! It is a shame the days of dressing for dinner are ending.. even at 150 Central Park people were wearing shorts and tees .. I love dressing up not everyone does these days .. it is sad

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's been a while since my last short RCI trip, but on a 5 day to Bermuda last week, I saw something that surprised me

If you read any of the multitude of dress related threads around here you would not have been surprised. It is fleet wide (out of US), not just Anthem.

What's it matter what other people wear? They won't be in any of your pictures you take on formal night. Someone wearing shorts to dinner will not make my meal taste any different.

Cruise Critic is full of people worried about things they don't need to be worried about, and people in other peoples business that they have no business being in.

What's it matter what other people wear? They won't be in any of your pictures you take on formal night. Someone wearing shorts to dinner will not make my meal taste any different.

Cruise Critic is full of people worried about things they don't need to be worried about, and people in other peoples business that they have no business being in.

Amen to these "quotes" ... spot on !!

I'm glad they're relaxing on the dress up rule. I've only sailed on Norwegian where they don't have an official dress up night - but on the photo night plenty of people dress up.

I didn't realize any ship officially had a dress up night until I booked RCI for next year and hubby was Not looking forward to it. He finds it uncomfortable and it's just not what he'd like to do on his vacation. Happy hubby equals happy vacation!

The cruise lines do respond to what people want. Hopefully it won't turn into a "be careful what you wish for" situation. Trend seems to be towards more relaxed dress codes, surroundings and food.

They may be reading having no or not enforcing a dress code as passengers no longer want the fine dining "experience". I am including the quality, presentation and surroundings as part of the experience. I doubt it will go as far as picnic tables and serving family style, but would hate to see the MDR become less of a priority in managements eyes. When we started cruising, every evening was a mini-occassion. I understand all the opinions about dress code. Only hoping the cruise lines don't read it as passengers wanting less formal dining.

I would say, on our cruise on Grandeur in Aug, that most people dressed better on formal night than on other nights.

I did not notice any shorts or t-shirts on formal night, but did on other nights.

I dress for myself and my SO. I only had a sport coat/dress shirt/tie this trip. Next time, I will take a suit.

I am not sure I will buy a tux just for cruising. But I just might. :)

I think baggage prices on airlines have played the biggest role into easing MDR clothing requirements...I mean, when you are paying per bag, do you want to pack 3 outfits per day (swim, day, and night) or 2 or even less? And how many shoes? Multiply that by 4 people in a family and it's easy to see why a lot of people might prefer to ease up on dress standards.

I am fascinated by this quote and those that recommend it

There is no traditional way to dress for a shopping mall, neither is there information on a daily planner requesting guests dress a certain way

Neither, as far as I am aware, a decline in the smartness of people surrounding me, every time I visit a mall

As I explained in my original post, I believe it a shame, but if cruise lines have bowed to the pressure of their customers I will also make sure I dress scruffily as well - that way I will feel less self conscious in an enclosed environment

I just avoid the MDR on formal nights and we go to the windjammer. I'll continue to do so. Sometimes we will go to a specialty restaurant as their dress code is smart casual. I don't mind that.

Why. You should not care what other Paxs are wearing. Some folks maybe want hats for ladies & men to go along with tux & gowns. Those days of yore are long gone.

As Ashland properly said "they won't appear in your pictures" on formal nights.

I think I need to see to believe LOL It's been a couple of years since I sailed and I saw them turn away people in shorts...at least 3 or 4 times. I also saw a lot of people dressing up on formal night.

Soooo, it seems the times are obviously changing. I am succccch a casual person. Shorts, jeans, swat pants. As much as I don't want to care what others think, I will honestly say I do. I don't want to stick out like a sore thumb. I cruise in a few days and I'm really curious what the MDR will look like. We shall see! Thanks for sharing with us!

I have an idea and I'm being very serious here. If you miss and long for the dress code on the great ocean liners of yesteryear such as Titanic and Lustitania then just go sail on Cunard. They have maintained that style for the most part. I just do not, for the life of me understand the fighting that goes on with threads like this.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

I have an idea and I'm being very serious here. If you miss and long for the dress code on the great ocean liners of yesteryear such as Titanic and Lustitania then just go sail on Cunard. They have maintained that style for the most part. I just do not, for the life of me understand the fighting that goes on with threads like this.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

To each his own. If dressing down is your style then go for it. My wife and I prefer to look good at all times especially at dinner. I just don't appreciate when folks look like they are going to Mc Donalds when they walk into a beautiful dining venue. Kinda cheapens the evening

Fred

I think baggage prices on airlines have played the biggest role into easing MDR clothing requirements...I mean, when you are paying per bag, do you want to pack 3 outfits per day (swim, day, and night) or 2 or even less? And how many shoes? Multiply that by 4 people in a family and it's easy to see why a lot of people might prefer to ease up on dress standards.

I came here to say this exactly.

Shoes alone take up a huge amount of space + weight.

Back in the day, you could bring 2 70lb bags for free. Now you want everything to fit in one 49lb bag.

Swimwear, tshirts, etc are required.

Formal wear just doesnt make the cut.