Kilt vs. Pants

DirtyDawg

I broke down and got one of those DNA analysis' done. Hey, it was on sale and we had been talking about the family tree. Well I got got my DNA analysis back and to my shock I am not 99% Irish.:( Apparently I am a mixed breed,;) I'm almost 50% Scottish.:eek: Now that I have processed this shock for a couple of days I have a couple of questions, one is cruise related and one is not.

As a mixed breed (half Irish) can I actually wear a Kilt? I don't know what clan I am so is it a non-starter?

Second, if I can wear a Kilt, can I wear a Kilt in the MDR on a Royal cruise? :confused:

That is close to my mix. Part Irish, Part Scottish, Part French and some German thrown in there for good measure. This is also reflected in my drinking habits as well :D.

But at 50% Scottish, I believe that entitles you to Half a Kilt. You get to chose if the front half or the back half. Not sure if that would be MDR appropriate though ;p Full Kilt... No Problem.

See... Half a Kilt: They chose "Right Side"

ac6c7df0fb563a0b2f3827ed33934e5e.jpg dp

Edited by dpostman

That is close to my mix. Part Irish, Part Scottish, Part French and some German thrown in there for good measure. This is also reflected in my drinking habits as well :D.

But at 50% Scottish, I believe that entitles you to Half a Kilt. You get to chose if the front half or the back half. Not sure if that would be MDR appropriate though ;p Full Kilt... No Problem.

See... Half a Kilt: They chose "Right Side"

ac6c7df0fb563a0b2f3827ed33934e5e.jpg

dp

That could be problematic if I went authentic Scot.:o

But if drinking habits count I might get up to 70% coverage. :D

Ireland and Scotland are only something like 15 miles apart at one point, so -- yeah -- lots of people are Scots-Irish, especially those of us Americans who live in the South.

Know what? The Irish and the Welsh wore kilts too, though not as prolifically as the Scots. You can do a bit of research online and can learn your family's tartan.

You should definitely wear your kilt to the MDR, and -- for what it's worth, Dirty Dawg -- if I were of Indian descent, I'd definitely wear a sari to the MDR. They're lovely.

Tabedh leibh!

(That's Thank You in Scottish Gaelic............I hope.)

Almost, Tapadh Leat to one person, Tapadh leibh to a group. Pronounced roughly Tapalat/Tapaleave.

I'll be wearing my kilt in 10 days time on Voyager, prob give the Aussies a shock, it usually does.

You should definitely wear a kilt, my husband used to wear his every cruise until the airline started restricting baggage allowance, kilts, shoes and sporrans are very, very heavy....

Our family name is Thomson so he can wear the clan Thomson tartan, his mothers maiden name was Stewart, so he can also wear that tartan, his chosen football team has it's own tartan too as well as generic Scottish tartans.

Wear it, and wear it with pride :-)

I broke down and got one of those DNA analysis' done. Hey, it was on sale and we had been talking about the family tree. Well I got got my DNA analysis back and to my shock I am not 99% Irish.:( Apparently I am a mixed breed,;) I'm almost 50% Scottish.:eek: Now that I have processed this shock for a couple of days I have a couple of questions, one is cruise related and one is not.

As a mixed breed (half Irish) can I actually wear a Kilt? I don't know what clan I am so is it a non-starter?

Second, if I can wear a Kilt, can I wear a Kilt in the MDR on a Royal cruise? :confused:

Anyone can wear a kilt, just remember there is a lot of cloth, which will bump up your baggage allowance. Keep you money in the sporran. The Sgian dubh can be a problem with security. The kilt can be worn formally or informal with just a Jacobite shirt and boots or laced brogues.

Kilts are gaining popularity in Wales, especially among grooms. Personally I prefer to leave it to the Scots! Haha

As for wearing it on formal night, of course ! A kilt is to be worn on formal occasions. I would stick to wearing shorts when sitting around the pool though ;)

However if you do wear a kilt make sure you do it properly, otherwise you will just end up looking like Jean Paul Gaultier or some fashionista

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have seen Kilts on formal nights on many cruises.

Scottish-Irish both have tartans and wear kilts. It is just possibly more associated with Scotland. There are tartan patterns that are universal that you could wear. You might be able to look up family names and determine if there is a tartan associated with a particular family name.

Lots of info on internet...also lots of retailers trying to see product!

I have been wearing my kilt for many years now on our cruises. It is the USAF Reserve Tartan. I am a born Scotsman and served 24 years in the USAF. I have two clan tartans I can wear due to family affiliation but chose the USAF one. You may choose to wear any tartan you like as there are no rules about that.

I used the Edinburgh company in the link to order my complete outfit. I chose an Argyll jacket, sporran, socks w/flashes and the 16oz Balmoral kilt as it is lighter for wearing in the Caribbean. I also got a plastic sgian dubh.

The website also has videos on proper wear.

https://www.scotweb.co.uk/

Edited by Scotty G
clarify

Of course you can.

However be sure to wear your kilt the correct way round!! On a previous cruise my husband had to explain to someone that the pleats go at the back and the flat part at the front! The poor guy had been wearing his kilt the wrong way round and no-one had put him right.