Is 8:15 too early a flight out of San Juan following a cruise?

We're scheduled to arrive back at San Juan at 6 a.m. I don't recall my transportation arrangements the last time I did this. We're diamond members booked in a GS for the cruise, and so I anticipate a smooth (hopefully express) departure arranged through the concierge. The next flight time back to PHL for us would be 1:10 p.m. Hate to wait around the airport extra hours if not really necessary. Any ideas from anyone who has flown back to PHL after a criuise ending in San Juan would be much appreciated....

We're scheduled to arrive back at San Juan at 6 a.m. I don't recall my transportation arrangements the last time I did this. We're diamond members booked in a GS for the cruise, and so I anticipate a smooth (hopefully express) departure arranged through the concierge. The next flight time back to PHL for us would be 1:10 p.m. Hate to wait around the airport extra hours if not really necessary. Any ideas from anyone who has flown back to PHL after a criuise ending in San Juan would be much appreciated....

No chance whatsoever! You know what is what being diamond.

Definately would do the 1:10PM flight

You arrive @ 6:00 AM. Self assist is not until 7:00AM. Tried to take a pic of the disembark sheet but getting error message.

6:00AM Arrival

7:00 AM Self Assist

7:35 AM Early flights (before 12:30 PM)

7:45 AM shore excursions

8:00 AM Platinum, Emerald, Diamond, & Diamond Plus

8:15 AM Pinnacle Club & Suites (GS, OS, RS, & RFS)

8:30 AM early transfer

Last time we were in RFS and walked off because we could get off earlier. By the time we took a cab to the airport, checked our bags, and went through security it was almost 11:00 AM. Security line was real long and took over 40 minutes after we started watching the time. Security lines are always unpredictable you may get lucky but so far we have not been in SJU. We also had a very long line checking our bags, maybe you are only doing carry on bags.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by rum & monkey

Everything would have to go exactly to plan with no room for delay or error. My wife and I were the 3rd and 4th persons off Adventure in September, we were the first taxi and at the airport a little after 7:00.

That was for an 12:00 or so flight. Even having done that, no way I'd do 8:15.

I am usually very optimistic about making flights but I would not touch an 8:15 out of San Juan.

I have never been on a sailing in San Juan that started departures before 7:00 AM. Figure at least a half hour (it will probably take longer) to get out of the terminal and into a taxi . I is now 7:30 AM. It is a minimum of 20 minutes to get to the airport and longer with traffic. It is now 7:50 AM. Plan on another minimum of 30 minutes to get through the agricultural check of your bags and then security..... your plane is already in the air.

"Is 8:15 too early a flight out of San Juan following a cruise?"

8:15 PM, no.

Don't ruin a vacation by pressuring yourself on the last day.

Do you really want to stress yourself the whole previous night and early morning to make sure you're able to get off the ship, get transportation, make it through traffic, get to the airport, go through security, and arrive at the gate in time for an 8:15 flight?

You're more likely to have a stroke than make that flight.

On my last cruise out of San Juan they didn't even begin letting passengers off until 9:00 due to an issue with customs. I had a 1:00 PM flight and didn't have a lot of time to spare. I know this was not the norm, but even if everything goes smoothly 8:15 AM is way too risky, if not impossible.

Last time we flew out of San Juan, we booked the 2pm flight, did self-assist and were among the first people off the ship. We got to the airport, checked in and went through security (including the agricultural inspection) at about 8:30am. We were able to get onto the 9:30am flight standby, but we would not have made the flight that you are considering. My recommendation is to book the later flight, get to the airport as soon as possible, and if you are early enough for the 8:15 flight, get on it via the standby line.

If you are diamond members than wouldn't you know, that when a ship arrives, it must get tied up, get reviewed by the port authorities, before the first guests are allowed off? You do know at the terminal, you do need to pass through immigration. Than at the airport, you know you need to pass through TSA, and you need to pass through agriculture? You know, you must be at the gate by 8:00 or you may be out of luck? So with all that, my guess is that you have about a 1% chance of making it, but you already knew that I hope.

I'll join the party in encouraging you to book a later flight. We did self disembark, were 4th and 5th off the boat, immediately into a cab, no traffic going to SJU, no line anywhere in the airport and I think we were in the terminal around 8:15. You'd be cutting it way to close.

Considering that RCI isn't going to let self-assist people off until 7am (and that's if all is going according to plan), getting off the boat to the airport in an hour is just impossible. I'm looking at SJU flights for an April cruise, and the earliest flight I'm even thinking about is leaving at 10:30am (and I'm thinking of going for something in the afternoon instead so I'm not in a rush).

If you are diamond members than wouldn't you know, that when a ship arrives, it must get tied up, get reviewed by the port authorities, before the first guests are allowed off? You do know at the terminal, you do need to pass through immigration. Than at the airport, you know you need to pass through TSA, and you need to pass through agriculture? You know, you must be at the gate by 8:00 or you may be out of luck? So with all that, my guess is that you have about a 1% chance of making it, but you already knew that I hope.

You are being way too optimistic.

Not even sure what I was thinking of when I posted this thread. On any cruise debarkation day, I've read that one should be at SJU at least 2 hours before flight departure time. It helps to read and think a little bit before posting a thread question that has a rather obvious answer. Another one of those "senior moments" I suppose! Sorry for the waste of CC space and also everyone's time who took the time to read it.