Straws on the NCL Dawn?

blueflower1968

Can you just drink directly from a cup?

The number of threads about getting rid of straws on land and at sea is amazing. How on earth did homo sapiens survive for millions of years before drinking straws?

People need to get a grip.

Does anyone know what the deal is with the drink straws on the Dawn? Do they still have them? If not, can I bring my own and do they have to be a certain kind? Can I bring plastic or paper straws?

:cool:

Straws are an environmental hazard and are banned on NCL as they are by other major corporations and localities. Please leave your straws at home.

How are people getting on without straws in the frozen drinks??

I was on the Gem in June, after the new straw rules went into effect. I had no issues with any of my drinks, but did ask for a stirrer for some. No problem drinking from the edge of the glass, but some drinks do require regular stirring as the alcohol settles to the bottom. Also, the mint leaves in my mojitos were a bit of a hassle, but not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Does anyone know what the deal is with the drink straws on the Dawn? Do they still have them? If not, can I bring my own and do they have to be a certain kind?

Can I bring plastic or paper straws?

TY

Ignore the rude people. Here is what I am bringing on my Jan cruise. To the person that so rudely said that people were drinking before straws were invented, have you ever tried to drink a frozen drink without a straw?? No need to be so rude OP was asking a question, if you can't, or don't want to answer move along!!!

https://www.amazon.com/REGULAR-Silicone-Straws-Tumbler-Stainless/dp/B074295RQ5/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1533840778&sr=8-4&keywords=reusable+straws

Edited by cathi007
forgot to add link

Can you just drink directly from a cup?

The number of threads about getting rid of straws on land and at sea is amazing. How on earth did homo sapiens survive for millions of years before drinking straws?

People need to get a grip.

Frozen drinks are very hard to drink without a straw, especially the creamy ones (think mudslides).

Frozen drinks are very hard to drink without a straw, especially the creamy ones (think mudslides).
I drink strawberry daiquiris and I'm just going to transfer the drink to my plastic glass, which has its own straw (think of the glasses they sell at Starbucks) and the problem will be solved.

How are people getting on without straws in the frozen drinks??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't do frozen drinks, so no problem for me. I think that I can enjoy my bloody Marys without a straw.

How many local restaurants have given up straws? None in my area, including fine dining, fast food, and coffee shops.

Does anyone know what the deal is with the drink straws on the Dawn? Do they still have them? If not, can I bring my own and do they have to be a certain kind?

Can I bring plastic or paper straws?

TY

The point is to cut down on waste so better to bring reusable. I brought some but barely used them, even for strawberry margaritas

Straws are an environmental hazard and are banned on NCL as they are by other major corporations and localities. Please leave your straws at home.

Isn't anyone skeptical of another outrageous environmental claim? Does anyone ever think for themselves or do we just grab a headline and repeat it? The 500 million drinking straw claim was made from research of a 9 year old child and now it is widely accepted as fact. Here is the article about the "author" of the research that is leading to widespread panic about the end of the earth due to plastic drinking straws.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/19/business/plastic-straws-ban-fact-check-nyt.html

Isn't anyone skeptical of another outrageous environmental claim? Does anyone ever think for themselves or do we just grab a headline and repeat it? The 500 million drinking straw claim was made from research of a 9 year old child and now it is widely accepted as fact. Here is the article about the "author" of the research that is leading to widespread panic about the end of the earth due to plastic drinking straws.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/19/business/plastic-straws-ban-fact-check-nyt.html

It really doesn't matter if he was 9 or 90, does it? NCL, along with other businesses, has chosen to eliminate straws stating they are environmentally unfriendly. Those of us who use straws are looking for a way to have our cake and eat it too.

I've chosen to purchase biodegradable straws to bring on my next cruise. Others will bring re-usable straws, cups with built in straws, paper straws or plastic straws. Still others will enjoy their drinks from the glass in which it's served.

In the end, we will all do what works best for us individually...

I continue to be amazed how unhelpful people's responses can be....either answer the question or move on......no place for soap boxes and GADave makes a good point.....geesh people

This!

I continue to be amazed how unhelpful people's responses can be....either answer the question or move on......no place for soap boxes and GADave makes a good point.....geesh people

People are allowed to post opinions as long as they are on topic and do not call names.

I continue to be amazed by self-appointed moderators. If anyone feels posts are outside the rules that is what the little red triangle is for.

BTW, my 21 year old niece asked me to give up straws and I gladly agreed.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am just curious, they don’t supply straws but every pic I see of a drink is in a plastic cup. I would think that is worse for the environment. I could be wrong as I am not an environmental engineer

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, drinks served on deck are in plastic cups which does make the straw thing seem backwards. I read somewhere they're looking into changing that possibly using heavier, reusable, cups.

Some of the straw issue is also the damage they do to sea life. Since they're small and so light, they apparently end up in the ocean quite often. On another straw thread someone posted a photo of a turtle with a straw stuck in its nose. It really was upsetting to see. No way of knowing if it was real or photo shopped but either way, I don't want to be responsible for hurting anything so I'll do what I can, when I can.

I was on the Dawn last week. I had brought some reusable straws for my frozen drinks but didn't actually use them. Since the straws have been eliminated, they now blend the frozen drinks until they are watery so straws aren't necessary. The drinks don't taste as good this way but they are drinkable.