Straws on the NCL Dawn?

blueflower1968

So when are they getting rid of the plastic cups. Those cause more plastic waste than little straws.

Plastic cups can be recycled. Plastic straws don't recycle well. They are small enough to be missed by machines that auto-sort recyclables and they can even get stuck in/clog up small crevices in said machines.

Plastic cups can be recycled. Plastic straws don't recycle well. They are small enough to be missed by machines that auto-sort recyclables and they can even get stuck in/clog up small crevices in said machines.

Plastic Cups are still "plastic waste". Unless they are being disposed of in separate receptacles, which I doubt, they are being disposed of with the remainder of the trash (food, napkins, etc.). These huge amounts of trash are not being resorted to pull out the plastic cups and are ending up in landfills, etc.. No they probably are not ending up in a turtles nose but they are still a karger problem to the environment than a few straws. I have no real problem getting rid of the straws. I do have an issue with them (and other companies/municipalities) acting like they are saving the environment by no longer using straws but continuing to use disposable cups everywhere. Too hypocritical for my taste.

Plastic Cups are still "plastic waste". Unless they are being disposed of in separate receptacles, which I doubt, they are being disposed of with the remainder of the trash (food, napkins, etc.). These huge amounts of trash are not being resorted to pull out the plastic cups and are ending up in landfills, etc.. No they probably are not ending up in a turtles nose but they are still a karger problem to the environment than a few straws. I have no real problem getting rid of the straws. I do have an issue with them (and other companies/municipalities) acting like they are saving the environment by no longer using straws but continuing to use disposable cups everywhere. Too hypocritical for my taste.

Not on an NCL ship. They sort and recycle everything they can on board. We went to a Q&A with the officers on the Gem and they explained the whole process.

I'm regularly sceptical of corporations and environmental claims, but after reading their sustainability pages, I'm encouraged by their commitment. They have engaged in a third party certification program which means they must submit to rigorous external audits and demonstrate continual improvement. From NCL's sustainability statement:

"Norwegian enforces a zero-tolerance policy for any items thrown overboard. If an environmental incident is observed, guests, crew and shoreside employees are encouraged to use the “Doing What’s Right” hotline.

We routinely recycle plastics, aluminum, steel and oily sludge. In 2016, 60% of plastic that was landed ashore from our vessels was recycled. Some vessels even achieved recycling rates of over 90%.

We have pioneered recycling of used oil and it is often offloaded for use at shoreside installations as bio-fuel, with our vessels recycling over 95% of the cooking oil that is landed ashore."

They have to start somewhere and eliminating straws is probably one of the easiest to do. If you think about it, the number of straws used daily by passengers is ridiculous. Just one drink a day with a straw for every passenger on an NCL ship is approximately 50,000 straws. :eek: That's a day!!

Changing out the other plastic used is a lot more difficult. In addition to finding the right product, vendor, & price, they need to address storage space & cleaning. How many of the outside bars currently have space for the dirty glasses? Will they be washed there or elsewhere? Will they need additional washing equipment? Do they need to rearrange the bar to make space for a washer or two? Who's going to collect the used glasses? Will they need additional staff?

It's really easy to criticize what NCL is doing but if you take some time to think it through, you'll see that any changes made onboard have to be carefully thought out and implemented. It's not like replacing something in you home.

I still want to know what they are doing about this:

https://www.euractiv.com/section/air-pollution/news/daily-emissions-of-cruise-ships-same-as-one-million-cars/

If they truly cared about the environment for future generations, they would not produce another ship with diesel engines. Global warming and greenhouse gases are not being produced by plastic straws, they are being produced by fossil fueled engines.

I still want to know what they are doing about this:

https://www.euractiv.com/section/air-pollution/news/daily-emissions-of-cruise-ships-same-as-one-million-cars/

If they truly cared about the environment for future generations, they would not produce another ship with diesel engines. Global warming and greenhouse gases are not being produced by plastic straws, they are being produced by fossil fueled engines.

Okay, I give up. You win. No matter what they do, it's obviously not going to be enough for you.

I'm a glass half full kind of person. For me, all the little things add up and help. Doing something is always going to be better than doing nothing!

You seem to look at the same glass and see it as half empty. Nothing they do is going to be enough. BUT, if it's really a problem for you, why do you cruise knowing the damage cruise ships are doing to the environment?

Okay, I give up. You win. No matter what they do, it's obviously not going to be enough for you.

I'm a glass half full kind of person. For me, all the little things add up and help. Doing something is always going to be better than doing nothing!

I'm with you. Even if it is little steps, at least it is steps in the right direction. We can either be part of the solution or part of the problem, we all must make a choice. Edited by NLH Arizona

I'm with you. Even if it is little steps, at least it is steps in the right direction. We can either be part of the solution or part of the problem, we all must make our choice.

Thank you!

My dad always told me to worry about the pennies because the dollars take care of themselves. I see the straws as pennies, and all those pennies will add up

We will be bringing straws from the dollar store. Doubt they are biodegradable. they are like 1 cent each, and the old lady can carry them around in her purse.

th?id=OIP.Bt3sAIAPbwaKyilDks701AHaHa&w=219&h=218&c=7&o=5&pid=1.7I'm going to bring this bag of straws and sell them for $1 each help pay for the cruise.

Thank you!

My dad always told me to worry about the pennies because the dollars take care of themselves. I see the straws as pennies, and all those pennies will add up

This is exactly the reaction to my post I was looking for. To really put it in perspective, your statement should say pennies vs billions of dollars. Because that is about the impact of straws on the environment vs the carbon footprint of these ships. Stopping the use of straws is about as impactful to the overall environment as everyone in the USA sending a penny to the government to reduce the deficit. Maybe it would feel good, but statistically, it would do nothing.

We shouldn't belittle each other if you see someone using a straw. It might look plastic but could be biodegradable.

Maybe they have solar panels at home and use a bicycle to commute to work. If they choose to use a straw on vacation, I can be comfortable with that. (After all, I flew on a jet to get onto that cruise!)

So,,, do you clean yourself the same way? Jump in the shower, run some water over yourself, and say “I’m clean”.

No way to clean the inside of a straw.

Why the need to be so sarcastic?

Why do you care how i clean a straw anyway. It's not exactly rocket science. Mind you, if you think that it's impossible then i would have to question your own cleaning routine.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Straws are easily cleaned by soaking in water... people with feed tubes clean their tube extensions the same way and keep the extension for a week.. if it’s good enough for healthcare...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is exactly the reaction to my post I was looking for. To really put it in perspective, your statement should say pennies vs billions of dollars. Because that is about the impact of straws on the environment vs the carbon footprint of these ships. Stopping the use of straws is about as impactful to the overall environment as everyone in the USA sending a penny to the government to reduce the deficit. Maybe it would feel good, but statistically, it would do nothing.

You're the second person in the past few days that seems to thinks we need lessons and you, as the "teacher" know more than the rest of us. I don't appreciate your condescending attitude and I'm frankly tired of people not respecting the opinions of others.

I'm done!

Straws are easily cleaned by soaking in water... people with feed tubes clean their tube extensions the same way and keep the extension for a week.. if it’s good enough for healthcare...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well said Kirsty

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Last year on Escape, I brought my own plastic straws just for the use of my 32 oz. water bottle that I brought on board for use in my cabin. I only brought 7 straws with me (so I could use a new straw in my bottle each day of the cruise). I disposed of each one in my cabin trash can. Will I be allowed to bring these straws aboard next month even though they are plastic? Or will they be confiscated? Sorry if this has already been addressed, but I did not read the entire thread.