Noro - MDR verses Windjammer

Wanting to get others thoughts on whether eating only in the MDR or any other restaurant outside of the Windjammer, would make a difference in getting Noro in the event of an outbreak. The threads I've recently read regarding passengers behavior in the Windjammer makes me wonder if it is a key source in spreading the virus. Of course there are a multitude of ways to contact the virus outside of eating areas, but I'm wondering if avoidance of the Windjammer would significantly reduce your odds.

Wanting to get others thoughts on whether eating only in the MDR or any other restaurant outside of the Windjammer, would make a difference in getting Noro in the event of an outbreak. The threads I've recently read regarding passengers behavior in the Windjammer makes me wonder if it is a key source in spreading the virus. Of course there are a multitude of ways to contact the virus outside of eating areas, but I'm wondering if avoidance of the Windjammer would significantly reduce your odds.

I say washing your hands is your best bet to avoid noro!

I say washing your hands is your best bet to avoid noro!

Also try not to touch anything and keep your hands away from your face at all times.

I see people walking along railings and sliding their hands over it the entire way. You need to seriously decontaminate after doing that.

I caught Noro virus on the AOS last September and I am convinced it came from the Windjammer on embarkation day. There were loads of guests milling around, handling foods, coughing sneezing etc, and although we as a family are paranoid about hygiene sadly many guests aren't. Hand washing and use of hand gels was still a huge problem last week on Independence with many guests totally disregarding crew's attempts to get them to sanitize.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I caught Noro virus on the AOS last September and I am convinced it came from the Windjammer on embarkation day. There were loads of guests milling around, handling foods, coughing sneezing etc,

Coughing and sneezing are not symptoms of noro.:rolleyes:

It can be caught anywhere anytime from anything. Would not make sense to schedule vacation or dining around it. That said, I'm sure it's probably more likely to get noro, flu, or the common cold from a buffet where everyone is handling plates, tong's etc and is in close proximity to the food.

You catch noro by touching something with the virus and THEN....touching your eyes, nose or mouth (or eating with dirty hands!)....

You can get the virus on you, but as long as you don't give it access to your mucus membranes (eyes, nose, mouth), you are unlikely to catch it.

So...wash your hands, but be careful to NOT touch your face unless you know your hands are clean!

I caught Noro virus on the AOS last September and I am convinced it came from the Windjammer on embarkation day. There were loads of guests milling around, handling foods, coughing sneezing etc, and although we as a family are paranoid about hygiene sadly many guests aren't. Hand washing and use of hand gels was still a huge problem last week on Independence with many guests totally disregarding crew's attempts to get them to sanitize.

you do realize its in the air? no amount of purel will stop it.

Also try not to touch anything and keep your hands away from your face at all times.

I see people walking along railings and sliding their hands over it the entire way. You need to seriously decontaminate after doing that.

As a handicapped person, what can I do? I NEED something to hold on when trying to go up or down stairs? I use a walker on the straight places, and my DH takes my walker while I try to go up or down stairs. It must be great to be able to walk without help. Please know that walking along railings and sliding it the entire way is the only way that many people can get anywhere.

Just off Allure today and I can say that while there was Purell dispensers in the front of the MDR no one enforced using them. The windjammer had people standing at each entrance and tried to make everyone use it before entering. We didnt eat there, I just went in for soda and they wanted me to use it too.

People cough & sneeze, laugh, slobber, and spit!

Germs and Viruses are in the air and settle everywhere.

But they can only enter the body through mucus membranes such as the nose, mouth, and eyes.

Wash and/or sanitize your hands often!

Don't touch your face.

I always have to say something to those folks.

Also, to the kids who are just running free & reaching in to grab food; major pet peeve.

As a handicapped person, what can I do? I NEED something to hold on when trying to go up or down stairs? I use a walker on the straight places, and my DH takes my walker while I try to go up or down stairs. It must be great to be able to walk without help. Please know that walking along railings and sliding it the entire way is the only way that many people can get anywhere.

What she said was...............

Obviously, you need to use the rails. After which, it's advisable to wash/sanitize.

Coughing and sneezing are not symptoms of noro.:rolleyes:

It can be caught anywhere anytime from anything. Would not make sense to schedule vacation or dining around it. That said, I'm sure it's probably more likely to get noro, flu, or the common cold from a buffet where everyone is handling plates, tong's etc and is in close proximity to the food.

I am quite aware that coughing and sneezing are not symptoms of the virus. I was merely pointing out the un-sanitary behaviors of many guests around the buffet areas.

Agree with other posters, wash your hands regularly with warm water and soap.

I also avoid windjammer and do not use public toilets (no matter what).

It is really hard not to touch your face - mouth, eyes and nose but that is also a good tip

you do realize its in the air? no amount of purel will stop it.

I must respectfully disagree. Although there are some viruses transmitted through the air, this is not the case with norovirus.

Excerpt from the CDC website:

The viruses are found in the vomit and stool of infected people. You can get it by

Eating food or drinking liquids that are contaminated with norovirus

Touching surfaces or objects contaminated with norovirus and then putting your hand or fingers in your mouth

Having direct contact with a person who is infected with norovirus, for example, when caring for someone with norovirus or sharing foods or eating utensils with them

People with norovirus illness are contagious from the moment they begin feeling sick until at least 3 days after they recover. But, some people may be contagious for even longer.

So it's a good thing to be paranoid? I thought paranoia was a disorder. I'm not sure a cruise ship is a great vacation for a germophobe. Seems like you need to take reasonable precautions and then trust your own immune system.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

I do not take the stairs because I don't want to risk touching the handrails. I take the elevator only and I use my knuckle to press the floor button. I also never use a public restroom, and rarely go into the buffet. I wash my hands every time I walk into my cabin.

40 cruises and no noro, but I did get it on other trips. Good luck.

So it's a good thing to be paranoid? I thought paranoia was a disorder. I'm not sure a cruise ship is a great vacation for a germophobe. Seems like you need to take reasonable precautions and then trust your own immune system.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

I had noro on our last cruise back in 2012, and I must admit, I'm a wee bit paranoid. And I did everything right with regard to washing, using sanitizer, etc., not touching railings. I even wiped down our room with Clorox wipes.

I'm convinced I know where I got it. Laundry room on Carnival Dream, a woman was having trouble getting her sea pass to scan in the machine that operates the machines. I was standing there waiting for my load that was almost dry, and offered to help her. I touched her card and swiped it a few times, touched the keypad on the machine that she had touched, and then she proceeded to tell me how ill she had been all day. I also remember thinking at that moment "oh no...I hope I don't get sick now." Sure enough, I did.

That said, I have quite a few cruises under my belt and never had any issues, and it hasn't stopped me from wanting to sail again.

I'll admit though, a little paranoid here. Especially when I look at pictures of FOS and see things like those touch screens they've added near the elevators. Cool technology or petri dish? I may think twice, although by then I will have used the kiosk at O'Hare airport, been on a plane, etc.

We've been cruising for 14 years now and although there were NORO outbreaks on a few cruises we have not gotten ill.

Proper hand washing and the use of hand sanitizers when entering the buffet or other dining venues are a must.

Remember to re-sanitize with a hand gel if you use the buffet tongs, the salt and pepper shakers and after adjusting your chair when sitting down. I doubt the chairs in any venue are ever sanitized and they are something we all handle when first sitting down to eat.

Not paranoid but just careful.

bosco

I ONLY EAT IN THE Windjammer on day one,Will wear surgical gloves next time.To many people use the spoons and tongs to serve yourself.I think eating there you put yourself at higher risk of Noro Virus.Also elevator buttons and hand rails.We sailed on the Noro Virus cruise on the Explorer 1/21/14 after the second day fun was over.elevator buttons were push with the back of my hand,Crown and anchor events canceled.Everyone you talk to had a story of a family member being sick.After ST Thomas at diner the Captain announced the ship has been turned around,we were headed back to Cape Liberty.:)

I must respectfully disagree. Although there are some viruses transmitted through the air, this is not the case with norovirus.

Excerpt from the CDC website:

The viruses are found in the vomit and stool of infected people. You can get it by

Eating food or drinking liquids that are contaminated with norovirus

Touching surfaces or objects contaminated with norovirus and then putting your hand or fingers in your mouth

Having direct contact with a person who is infected with norovirus, for example, when caring for someone with norovirus or sharing foods or eating utensils with them

People with norovirus illness are contagious from the moment they begin feeling sick until at least 3 days after they recover. But, some people may be contagious for even longer.

Both DH & I are in the Medical field. Agree 110% Noro is not transmitted by airborne spores.

It does not live in the air. It lives on the surface.

We should have stocks in Purell. ;)

We have a Purell dispenser at the door and our DS's friends aren't allowed to touch anything in the house until they sanitize.

It comes from stool.. fecal matter.

They touch poop then touch a surface...then you touch the surface with you hand or even your sleeve and then rub your eyes, face, mouth after.

and suddenly hello Noro!!!

It usually comes from poor hygiene. Kids / Elderly or those who lack the ability to wipe their butt & wash their hands after properly are the worst contributors to the Norovirus.

Also take a very good probiotic (Not capsule form..but one that needs refrigerating) before you go for at least a month to balance the flora in your intestines. It helps when you get a case of stomach funk ;)

Also keep in mind that approx. 40% of fountain style soda/beverage dispensers contain coliform bacteria...a bacteria that commonly grows in feces. Yummy fact I know! So if your not touching it you may be drinking it.

Edited by vacation_junkie

Wanting to get others thoughts on whether eating only in the MDR or any other restaurant outside of the Windjammer, would make a difference in getting Noro in the event of an outbreak...
If there is an "official" noro outbreak (I think this is defined as 3% or 5% of the ship - but not sure) Windjammer goes into lockdown. You are not allowed to touch anything except the plate in your hand and the glass that is handed to you. A crew member (such as ice skaters, security guards, etc) wearing gloves will hand you the plate and silverware - you are not allowed to touch the stack. ALL food is served by crew members directly to the plate that you hold. No tongs are provided for YOUR use. There is no self service of drinks, ketchup packs, or anything else. So WJ is actually pretty safe during an official noro outbreak. Now if a noro outbreak has not been declared and WJ has not gone into lockdown, that is where the problem exists:cool:

Thom