"New Casual Dining Experience"

Portolan

On the Explorer right now.

We are aware of the pool grill option, but have not tried it yet. It appears to have few diners on the nights we walked by. The diners seem to be dressed the same as the other food venues. No shorts or bathing suits, etc. There is a nice variety of food as well.

I am not the dress code **** but do notice many jeans and sneakers in all the other restaurants. Really doesn’t bother me. So...am I going to be drawn and quartered for even mentioning my observations?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On my cruise on the Voyager in June that was the first cruise that the new program was started, on a "trial" basis, at least according to Risky, who was managing the program.

While we did not take advantage of it, here are my observations-

People who did take advantage of it seemed to be very pleased with it.

I did not notice any change in the attire of guests in public areas compared to what it was before the program started.

There was absolutely no degradation of service in other parts of the ship.

I had the impression that it was easier to get a nice table at Compass Rose, at any time, perhaps because of the new venue.

All good.

Bob

On the Explorer right now.

We are aware of the pool grill option, but have not tried it yet. It appears to have few diners on the nights we walked by. The diners seem to be dressed the same as the other food venues. No shorts or bathing suits, etc. There is a nice variety of food as well.

I am not the dress code **** but do notice many jeans and sneakers in all the other restaurants. Really doesn’t bother me. So...am I going to be drawn and quartered for even mentioning my observations?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No one should bash you for your observations. I have a lot more tolerance for people dressed correctly but may be wearing sneakers or other footwear that may not be appropriate due to the number of issues people have with their feet/knees/hips that could prevent them from wearing appropriate shoes. In terms of jeans, this is getting so ridiculous. Perhaps Regent should allow dress jeans on men IF they wear a sports jacket with it.

Hope that you are enjoying the Explorer - she I such a lovely ship.

We also were on the Voyager in June when it was initiated and managed by Risky. We took advantage of it on at least two occasions including sail aways (Venice was Great), and the grill options were very good. One of the chefs, Pascual, was overseeing the food prep.

I did change out of jeans for the shows.

It was explained that one of the main purposes was to take the pressure off Compass Rose, which certainly made sense.

We enjoyed it.

No one should bash you for your observations. I have a lot more tolerance for people dressed correctly but may be wearing sneakers or other footwear that may not be appropriate due to the number of issues people have with their feet/knees/hips that could prevent them from wearing appropriate shoes. In terms of jeans, this is getting so ridiculous. Perhaps Regent should allow dress jeans on men IF they wear a sports jacket with it.

Hope that you are enjoying the Explorer - she I such a lovely ship.

At the risk of sounding fashion-challenged, what, exactly, are "dress jeans"? Certainly price does not dictate the designation as I have seen very ratty-looking jeans that cost upwards of $300. ::roll eyes::

At the risk of sounding fashion-challenged, what, exactly, are "dress jeans"? Certainly price does not dictate the designation as I have seen very ratty-looking jeans that cost upwards of $300. ::roll eyes::

Actually I have no idea. It has nothing to do with the cost - that is for sure since many high priced jeans have holes in them. My guess is that they are dark in color - have a tailored look (not baggy) and look good with sports jackets. My comment above was made tongue in cheek. I assume that people that keep nagging about jeans would not want to pack/wear a sports coat.

You brought up a good issue - few people know what dress jeans are.

My real opinion is that if you want to wear jeans, sail on a different luxury cruise line (Crystal apparently permits "dress jeans".)

WesW,

No enhanced entertainment is planned at this time.

I should also add the grill is open until 9pm and the Pool Bar will remain open until 10pm. The pool and Jacuzzi's will remain open as well.

flossie009,

Additional staff was added to accommodate this enhancement.

Jason,

Thank you for the further information and reassurance regarding service levels :)

Crystal and Seabourn do permit dress dark jeans with no holes and not scrappy in any way. The Thomas Keller restaurant on Seabourn the waiters are dressed in jean type uniforms. He operates the French Laundry in the Napa Valley and the Bouchon Bakery. Not a cheap dining venue and very expensive but worth a visit to either one.

Am thrilled at the prospect of trudging back to the ship and not having to shower, dress, and head downstairs... or dine en suite.

Isn’t the Regent demographic aging?? We were early 40’s with Radisson. Now, we are older and still wear jeans when it’s cold. Shorts or sundresses in the warm months. We do not wear “sneakers” unless we are chasing something.

So what’s the disdain with casual dress after 6pm? We retired at 55. Don’t look like bums. Will certainly adhere to dress rules. But am seriously curious. Why the perception that casual dress drags things down?

Will be on Navigator in November - 23 days. Looking forward to getting a burger and fries.

Am thrilled at the prospect of trudging back to the ship and not having to shower, dress, and head downstairs... or dine en suite.

FWIW, I kind of prefer that people who have been trudging around ashore, especially in hot weather, that they DO take a shower.

I can tell you that leaving the ship in the hot Med sun, we’re planning to be typical tourists in shorts and t-shirts. Is that not allowed?

FWIW, I kind of prefer that people who have been trudging around ashore, especially in hot weather, that they DO take a shower.

You can do what you wish going ashore, but we hope that passengers will do as FlyerTalker mentions and be kind enough to at least shower and put on fresh clothes before dinner.

Do beg your pardon. Perhaps I misspoke. Trudging back from a hot day ashore and then showering, doing hair and makeup, and getting dressed, then going downstairs to dine can be tiring. In which case, we would opt to shower and then dine en suite.

This new option allows us to trudge back to the ship and eat, go shower, and then to bed to get up early to face the next fun day.

It’s been my experience that some cruise days can be exhausting. It has not been my experience to encounter a fellow passenger with particularly poor hygiene.

So did anyone find out officially what was allowed/not allowed on the pool deck?

I can tell you that leaving the ship in the hot Med sun, we’re planning to be typical tourists in shorts and t-shirts. Is that not allowed?

During the day most people are in shorts, etc. The issue here seems to be after 6;00 p.m. (when the dress code changes).

From what has been posted from Jason O’Keefe more casual clothes (guessing shorts, t-shirts ad jeans) however, if they want to go in the lounge for a drink or to the show, you would need to change

We sail on the Explorer this Thursday, and I am very happy with this addition to the dining choices. Thank you very much Regent - your timing is impeccable!

Would you mind checking out those lobster nachos and maybe post a picture. Nachos are one of my favorite things to eat but the nachos I like are not a pile of chips with cheese sauce drizzled over them. The comment was made that the lobster nachos do not resemble other nachos. I am hoping maybe they are a plate lined with a single row of chips with lobster and melted shredded cheese. If so, I could eat them every day. Even better if they add some jalapenos, sour cream, and guacamole. I do realize the nachos are only available for lunch.

And add us to lhe list of people who are looking forward to more casual dining. We can't eat everything on our plate in the main dining rooms on ships. We feel bad sending back food but it is too much for us to eat. Hopefully the pool grill will have smaller servings. And the only reason we go to a lounge is to get a nightcap to take to our cabin. We will be able to get our drinks at the pool grill so no reason to dress up. I just changed my entire packing guide.

During the day most people are in shorts, etc. The issue here seems to be after 6;00 p.m. (when the dress code changes).

From what has been posted from Jason O’Keefe more casual clothes (guessing shorts, t-shirts ad jeans) however, if they want to go in the lounge for a drink or to the show, you would need to change

Thanks TravelCat for the info!

You can do what you wish going ashore, but we hope that passengers will do as FlyerTalker mentions and be kind enough to at least shower and put on fresh clothes before dinner.

Lol. I do shower and always smell pretty. I don’t pigpen it when I’m outside, although I think little kids often do that sort of thing. :D

Do beg your pardon. Perhaps I misspoke. Trudging back from a hot day ashore and then showering, doing hair and makeup, and getting dressed, then going downstairs to dine can be tiring. In which case, we would opt to shower and then dine en suite.

This new option allows us to trudge back to the ship and eat, go shower, and then to bed to get up early to face the next fun day.

Hoping that you have posted the order incorrectly.

And still waiting some kind of official Regent statement on just "how casual" will be the expected dress on deck after 6pm. "Casual" covers a wide range.

Hoping that you have posted the order incorrectly.

And still waiting some kind of official Regent statement on just "how casual" will be the expected dress on deck after 6pm. "Casual" covers a wide range.

I think Jason answered that question when he said dress would be casual and the pool would be open until 10PM.

Just look around the pool deck buffet area, bar and swimming pool during the day. If people are swimming at night there will be people in swim wear on the Pool deck after 6PM enjoying the pool, the bar and the grill.