Chicken Fried Steak with Country Gravy?

Kingofcool1947

I would also like to know the answer to this question. As I am a big fan of CFS, I have never seen it offered either in the MDR or HC. My next cruise is in a full suite and I wondered if they will make it at Sabatini's. From what I hear, they will make just about anything if they have the ingredients. They serve rib eye and N.Y. steaks and they serve fried chicken so it should be no biggie. Country gravy is already served in the HC. I would think that out of the many chefs on board, someone would know how to prepare this simple American breakfast dish.

I have eaten breakfast in a Princess Horizon Court at least 100 times. Their idea of country gravy or sausage gravy would get the chef fired at any true southern USA restaurant. If you put their too-thin gravy on their too-thin mashed potatoes you will have a solution that you must use a spoon rather than a fork to eat.

I know many people love CFS but, for the life of me, I can't understand why. An entire plate full of stuff covered with the same gravy so it all tastes the same. I don't get it. One of my sons absolutely loves the stuff and I have tried it in several venues in several states but don't care for it at all. Just one more example of how food is subjective.

Even though I would never order it so it wouldn't affect me one way or the other I hope Princess doesn't ever offer it as those who truly love the stuff would almost certainly be appalled at whatever version of it Princess produced.

You may be on to something huge !!! - How about replacing some venue aka Curtis Stone "Share" with a 24 hour Waffle House !!!:cool:

Excellent idea. There is a place in Portland called Waffle Window, and the bacon, basil, and brie waffle is excellent (they put those things on top, not in the batter :D).

Excellent idea. There is a place in Portland called Waffle Window, and the bacon, basil, and brie waffle is excellent (they put those things on top, not in the batter :D).

Maybe I can get Southern Fried Chicken and Waffles for breakfast in the H.C. or dining room? Something like Popeyes Spicy crispy chicken, with a side of red beans and rice.

They would really have to improve both their gravy and the fry method. I tried a small sample of their breakfast gravy and, like the other poster, found it lacking. I also tried the fried chicken that they typically offer on the last evening. Fried chicken ought not bend. It was, I suppose, as good as their always available deluxe burger that replaced the beef medallions.

If they were to go for serving this wonderful dish, Planks may be the venue for it.

Will someone report back if you can put in a request for CFS while eating breakfast at Sabatini's? ...and if you were able to order it...how much advance notice is needed for the request? This is my husband's favorite breakfast food.

Will someone report back if you can put in a request for CFS while eating breakfast at Sabatini's? ...and if you were able to order it...how much advance notice is needed for the request? This is my husband's favorite breakfast food.

Special requests for a food item have always required a 24 hour notice in my experience. But my experience has always been for dinner items in the main dining room or Crown Grill.

I know many people love CFS but, for the life of me, I can't understand why. An entire plate full of stuff covered with the same gravy so it all tastes the same. I don't get it. One of my sons absolutely loves the stuff and I have tried it in several venues in several states but don't care for it at all. Just one more example of how food is subjective.

Even though I would never order it so it wouldn't affect me one way or the other I hope Princess doesn't ever offer it as those who truly love the stuff would almost certainly be appalled at whatever version of it Princess produced.

I agree and I live in an area where people eat it along with another "delicacy" called grits. Both are equally disgusting to me. In the HC at breakfast they sometimes have biscuits and gravy and some meat with gravy available. It did not appear to be a hot item. My father was in the army in WWII and he called it SOS. To each their own however.

While the bacon/basil/brie waffle sounds AMAZING, I don't think that is ever going to be on the menu at a Waffle House!

The fanciest thing on the menu might just be the pecan waffle... or maybe if you add mushrooms to something. It's a diner type of place.

I agree and I live in an area where people eat it along with another "delicacy" called grits. Both are equally disgusting to me. In the HC at breakfast they sometimes have biscuits and gravy and some meat with gravy available. It did not appear to be a hot item. My father was in the army in WWII and he called it SOS. To each their own however.

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/health-benefits-grits-vs-oatmeal-2591.html

Does Princess have on the menu , shrimp and grits for breakfast , (one of my favorites, along with CFS, SOS, Chicken and waffles, and Oxtails with Collard greens). :)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrimp_and_grits

Where? In the MDR, specialty restaurants, or H.C.?

Thank you.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/health-benefits-grits-vs-oatmeal-2591.html

Does Princess have on the menu , shrimp and grits for breakfast , (one of my favorites, along with CFS, SOS, Chicken and waffles, and Oxtails with Collard greens). :)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrimp_and_grits

Where? In the MDR, specialty restaurants, or H.C.?

Thank you.

Yes

Aw, come on man. You and Thrak must be some sort of socialites:D What your dad was probably talking about was chipped beef on toast. We will skip the colloquial name. I loved it in the Navy. I recently had a great version of it made in a delicate white wine sauce and served in phyllo (sp?) cups. Great stuff.

It does take a very good hand to do these comfort dishes properly. I am not convinced that a passenger ship can do justice to anything that requires a lot of attention to the timing of when food needs to come out of a fryer, pan or pot. Consequently, you get a lot of quality variation for things like fish and chips, pork belly, eggs Benedict, and such. Sometimes it comes out OK and other times wretched. My thumb rule is that if it is supposed to be crispy and hot, don't order it. Exception being the specialty restaurants and smaller venues where there is preperation being done for fewer people.

King, thanks for bringing up the subject, it has been fun.

An entire plate full of stuff covered with the same gravy so it all tastes the same. I don't get it.

An entire plate full of stuff that tastes like Mama's country fried steak? Oh yeah!!!!!

An entire plate full of stuff that tastes like a cruise ship chef's version of southern food? No thanks!!!! ;p

As someone mentioned above, I don't cruise to eat what I can get better done at home. I hope Princess concentrates on what they do well, which I think they do very well..