Hurricane Irma Watch

guys, is it impossible to find a hotel in FLL area? Our flight is tomorrow Wednesday. GLTA and thank you!

No, I booked the Doubletree in Sunrise yesterday morning for last night. I even have a 2PM late checkout which tells you they're not full.

Here is how bad it is. We arrived in Fort Lauderdale last night to get on Harmony today to find our hotel boarded up with no power so we ended up sleeping in our car last nignt. I tried my companies emergency travel number and there were no hotels within a 100 mile radius available. We also noticed many hotels even Hilton type properties were open but with no power. Almost no restaurants or food stores were open yesterday all the way down I95 in Florida or in Fort Lauderdale. Hopefully more will be open today but there are lots of areas without power. One side effect is no traffic lights are operational in the areas without power conjesting roads and resulting in accidents when people speed through the intersections. Very few gastions have power or gas and the ones that do have 1 to 2 block long lines. Gas buddy app has been a life saver to find stations with power and gas. Not much fun here looking forward to getting on the ship.
Thanks for the update. Our hotel says they'll be open tomorrow. Now we just gotta get their. We're allegedly flying Thursday on SW.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Those are Harmony of the Seas and 2 Carnival ships.

From the Port Everglades website:

The U.S. Coast Guard Captain of the Port has approved daylight vessel operations at Port Everglades. Ships scheduled to arrive include:

• Carnival Conquest

• Royal Caribbean’s Harmony of the Seas

• Carnival Splendor

• Three petroleum tank ships

It's times like this I wish the US would invest money into underground wires like they do in other countries. If they just did it in places like Florida then people wouldn't have to worry about power lines coming down. You go to some countries and there isn't a single power line in sight. I mean if Fios can do underground fiber optic cables in so many areas why can't the electricity companies get Florida in a better place to avoid these awful outages?

I agree. We have underground service where I live and it is great not having poles and wires around nad never see a National Grid truck in there. Unfortunately, the feeder lines to us are up on poles so when one of our ocean storms blows in we still end up losing the power.

Flying from Chicago to Ft Lauderdale tomorrow 6 a.m. on Southwest; then changing planes for San Juan. I'm told by the airlines that we should leave on time barring any changes/complications. Not leaving on Adventure of the Seas til Saturday, so we certainly have enough lead time. Anyone else headed for San Juan this week? :o

We are at terminal 18 parking lot (Harmony) with the ship but they are telling us not to drop off bags or start check in until 3:30. We will see if they stick to that.

Glad that you are at the terminal, even if you have to be patient longer. Good luck to you.

I imagine you already know this (especially because you have written in a patient, understanding way)....the HM's officers, staff, and crew are working like crazy to get ready for those who will soon board as well as prepared for guests who just notified them that they will be staying on board for the next 4 days, reshuffling the manifest, preparing to disembark those who are going home, as well as the normal cleaning of the ship to have it perfect for you.

All of you that have had your plans rearranged deserved a fantastic 4 days and I hope you get it in abundance.

It's times like this I wish the US would invest money into underground wires like they do in other countries. If they just did it in places like Florida then people wouldn't have to worry about power lines coming down. You go to some countries and there isn't a single power line in sight. I mean if Fios can do underground fiber optic cables in so many areas why can't the electricity companies get Florida in a better place to avoid these awful outages?

My area of the greater Orlando area has buried power lines. At some point, they have to come to the transformer above the ground.

2/3 of Florida households and businesses are without power, cable, internet, VOIP phones. link

Glad that you are at the terminal, even if you have to be patient longer. Good luck to you.

I imagine you already know this (especially because you have written in a patient, understanding way)....the HM's officers, staff, and crew are working like crazy to get ready for those who will soon board as well as prepared for guests who just notified them that they will be staying on board for the next 4 days, reshuffling the manifest, preparing to disembark those who are going home, as well as the normal cleaning of the ship to have it perfect for you.

All of you that have had your plans rearranged deserved a fantastic 4 days and I hope you get it in abundance.

I don't excited about too much I know they are doing the best they can under the circumstances. For us it will be one more hilarious story to tell (sleeping in the car in an airport parking lot so we could use the airport facilities) about our cruising adventures. My issues are so minor compared to the islands that were hit by Irma and Key West that I am thankful for all I have and the ability to cruise as much as we do. Imagine having no gas, electricty, water, sewers, Internet and probably roads that are not useable. You just have to keep things in perspective and adapt as necessary.

Port of Miami now closed until further notice due to finding two sunken sailboats on the bottom of the channel. It was a 4pm goal to open but now they need to not only finish scanning but salvage the wrecks from the bottom and rectify anything else they find before they open. This could be days. The sailing today on Enchantment is cancelled which was delayed from yesterday. They still can't get employees off. Everglades open. Just when the light at the end of the tunnel was near, it's just another train headlight!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I received a text from FPL saying they "expect to restore the East Coast area by end of this coming weekend."

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Good news! We have many friends in Brevard, Volusia, and Flagler. Some of them have power, most do not. We have two families without a home due to the tornado activity in Brevard.