over the door shoe hanger thing

Barbara60

I would like to bring one of these on our 32 day cruise in October but don't want to be told I can't use it on the Coral.

Are there other ways to use it in your room without wrecking the tracking on the top of the bathroom door?

I would like to bring one of these on our 32 day cruise in October but don't want to be told I can't use it on the Coral.

Are there other ways to use it in your room without wrecking the tracking on the top of the bathroom door?

https://www.amazon.com/Honla-Dual-Sided-Organizer-Hanger-Cool-Organization/dp/B00N5TW8JO/ref=pd_sbs_201_6?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00N5TW8JO&pd_rd_r=df30cd3f-7cf1-11e8-890f-1dbcfc3af4d2&pd_rd_w=oIZw2&pd_rd_wg=Q13KQ&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=5825442648805390339&pf_rd_r=G1DGK7FSB1WC89WF98E8&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=G1DGK7FSB1WC89WF98E8

We use this for our toiletries, keeps the clutter of of the sink counter. It works great, it hangs on the "robe" hangers on the back of the bathroom door. No damage to the door at all. You could hang in the closet if you like.

Never used the item mentioned by the OP or the one you linked to but... At least this is something that would actually hang on those $!%@%! worthless "robe hanger" knobs. Why they put in stupid rounded knobs that won't hold my towel is beyond me. I hate those things. They are likely just there to taunt me. I need to hang a towel where I can reach it to get the water and such out of my eyes when showering but the stupid obnoxious rounded knobs won't really hold the towel worth a darn.

As you can likely tell it is a pet peeve. I absolutely love the "idea" of a hanger there but it's worthless as it is. I work around it by hanging a hanger on it and using that to hold the towel. Neither my wife nor I have ever found the need for the door hanger thing to hold stuff but I do understand there are those who like to have a ton of stuff in the bathroom. We find the shelves sufficient. Thanks for the suggestion though and I'm sure the OP will appreciate it.

Edit: Sorry for the digression. It's late and I'm tired but can't sleep and my back is freaking spasming again so I'm on the crabby side. I sometimes make ill-advised posts under these conditions. Ignore the old, fat, balding guy. Nothing to see here... Again, thanks for making a helpful suggestion. I love the way people here on CC help others.

• Like 1

Awww! Sorry you're having back troubles and not sleeping, Thrak. {{{{{hugs}}}}} I do sympathise as I have a similar problem sometimes, only it's my knee that spasms.

I use a shoe hanger that has a coat hanger hook and hang it in the closet - on ships that have the open closet space, it's too wide otherwise.

We’ve used one on the outside of the bathroom door while cruising for 16 years and it’s never damaged the top of the door. On certain ships (not Princess) the fit of the door is so tight that it wouldn’t close with the metal hooks in place. We have a long cord always packed in the large ziplock bag with the shoe rack that allows us to simply run the cord over the top of the door and tie it to the hooks on the inside of the door if necessary.

It would be more convenient half the time to have the shoe rack on the inside of the bathroom door (getting makeup and hair styling products) but I don’t want my powdered makeup to be in that much steam. And the other half of the time we need things to be on the outside of the door (sunscreen, first aid, sunglasses, sewing kit, laundry supplies).

I’vve had two in 16 years of cruising an average of 3 months a year. This is the one I’m currently using.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Best-Quality-Lebogner-Over-The-Door-Hanging-Shoe-Storage-Organizer/262014908877?epid=27009472878&hash=item3d014e39cd:g:G7IAAOSw8-tWXfnD

I like the kind that have four hooks because they’re more stable.

I use this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002V91962/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The first time I tried to hang it, I couldn't used the hooks (it was too wide and got in the way of the closer). DH figured out a way to use an upside down clothes hanger on Thrak's worthless robe hooks.

We put the clothes hanger on the hooks and use rubber bands to keep it stable, then tie the organizer to the hanger...not perfect, but it works.

Wow, can't believe people have so much trouble with bathroom space, towel hooks/bars, etc. In all our cruising we've never had any such issues, there's always enough space whether in the cabin or bathroom.

Every time these get discussed here on CC, someone makes a comment like yours. One lady actually became outraged that people used over the door shoe racks because SHE had never needed one. Live and let live, I say. We’ve cruised for up to five months at a time in inside cabins, and an over the door shoe rack saves us. Heck, I use one at home now too, not so much because I need additional storage, but I like keeping toothbrush, dental floss, makeup, manicure tools, contacts lens stuff, hair gels, etc. in clear pockets, hidden behind the bathroom door, rather than in drawers or sitting out.

Every time these get discussed here on CC, someone makes a comment like yours. One lady actually became outraged that people used over the door shoe racks because SHE had never needed one. Live and let live, I say. We’ve cruised for up to five months at a time in inside cabins, and an over the door shoe rack saves us. Heck, I use one at home now too, not so much because I need additional storage, but I like keeping toothbrush, dental floss, makeup, manicure tools, contacts lens stuff, hair gels, etc. in clear pockets, hidden behind the bathroom door, rather than in drawers or sitting out.

I like your attitude! Not everyone uses the same amount of products on personal care. Why should anyone else care what I am using in my own bathroom anyway?

I almost always use an over-the-door shoe organizer. I like a tidy cabin. In addition to bathroom items, I also put charger plugs, sunscreen, extra travel Kleenex packets, extra handwipes, etc.

I buy the clear pocketed ones with 4 rows across from Amazon. I cut out the last row, leaving all the hook holes at the top. Then I tie thick shoelaces through the holes. I attach those to the bathroom door hooks.

I also cut off the bottom row of pockets so it isn't too long. This way, it doesn't seem to get in the way width-wise or length-wise.

Works great and the bathroom door shuts completely with the shoe holder inside the bathroom making it easier to grab whatever you want when in the bathroom. It also makes it easier to walk through the cabin hallway without a bulky shoe organizer hanging outside the bathroom door.

Two styles of door hangers: great choice 1 over door and 1 plastic hanger for the closet. I have both. Use them to get sandals, shoes and hats off the floor.

Command hooks stick up and can be removed to take home.

We use these for washcloths and puffies in the shower. Would work for towels where you want, buy 3 to 5 pound hooks.

There are heavy duty magnetic hooks at Home Hardware/Depot to put on walls, wherever you want.

I take three cases for under the sink organized by laundry, toiletries and misc. combs, wet wipes etc. Great to move for room steward to clean and to change rooms. Just grab and go.

No problem too big or small.

Our over the door hanger wouldn’t fit on the door on coral as the door was too wide. There have been some great work around here but we just hung over half of the long mirror and actually preferred it in the cabin area.

I wouldn’t do without because it makes it so easy to access things like sunglasses, camera, sunscreen, key cards, etc.

I’m always amazed when people post on a thread just to make snarky comments.

True, I could put everything I need in drawers and on shelves. I prefer to have it right at hand so I don’t have to search a drawer for it.

We don’t have oceans of lotions and potions, and don’t use every pocket, but it’s great to have what I do need in its own little spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I used one like Pescado showed in their post for a 15 day Panama Canal cruise on the Coral Princess and it worked great! So nice to free up space and I didn’t have to wait to access something if the bathroom was in use. I’ve also used them since that cruise, but mostly on 7-days or longer cruises.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the great suggestion of using one at home! I can't believe I've never thought of putting one on the back of my bathroom door. I have so many little items that are all over the place. I'm very visual and love being able to see where everything is and can easily find it when I need it.

Thanks for the great suggestion of using one at home! I can't believe I've never thought of putting one on the back of my bathroom door. I have so many little items that are all over the place. I'm very visual and love being able to see where everything is and can easily find it when I need it.

You’re welcome! Here is mine at home. I “renewed and restored” all the bathroom cabinets two years ago and never again wanted to touch them with damp or oily or greasy hands while in the process of doing makeup, so I bought this (on eBay, see my link above). I LOVE it. I’m also very picky and don’t like things sitting out on my vanity, and this keeps the vanity clear and easy to clean. When the bathroom door is open, it’s hidden behind it.

%25255BUNSET%25255D.png

I use a small over the door storage ting, that I hang on the knobs that are on the inside of the bathroom door. I never tried it over the door, because I thought that I would not be able to close the door. You think that I would have tried it over the door...So, my question to all of you is, can you close the bathroom door when it is hanging there?

I use a small over the door storage ting, that I hang on the knobs that are on the inside of the bathroom door. I never tried it over the door, because I thought that I would not be able to close the door. You think that I would have tried it over the door...So, my question to all of you is, can you close the bathroom door when it is hanging there?

We have always been able to. It closes a little tighter but it definitely does not have to be forced.

We saved the hooks from our first OTDSR. They are a bit wider than our current (second) one is. And, as I’ve said, we have a cord that we also take if neither set of hooks works. We’ve had no issues on Princess ships, but some Celebrity and HAL ships require the cord.

We have always been able to. It closes a little tighter but it definitely does not have to be forced.

We saved the hooks from our first OTDSR. They are a bit wider than our current (second) one is. And, as I’ve said, we have a cord that we also take if neither set of hooks works. We’ve had no issues on Princess ships, but some Celebrity and HAL ships require the cord.

Thanks, will try it on our Royal Dec. cruise.