Unhappy with Capt. Club

fgc15527

I have sailed Royal Carribean 5xs and have 4 cruises with Celebrity. Called Capt. Club and discovered that my 5 cruises with Royal did not count. I was under the impression that after my next cruise with Celebrity I would have Elite status. Not the case. I need to sail 15 times with the Royal Carribean organization (10xs on Celebrity) in order to get Elite status. The fact that each time I cruise I purchase multiple cabins....the last cruise I had four cabins...have no bearing as well. Does this policy encourage customers to continue booking on Celebrity?

The problem for us is that we cannot combine the RCL and X Cruises towards one overall count. However, if you can reach 10 points on RCL OR X you can sail Elite Status on the X Cruises and enjoy the very nice perks they have! We are in the same "boat" as you - we have 4 on RCL and 3 on X plue 4 on Holland and one on Princess. So, we do not get much from the Loyalty programs.

I have sailed Royal Carribean 5xs and have 4 cruises with Celebrity. Called Capt. Club and discovered that my 5 cruises with Royal did not count. I was under the impression that after my next cruise with Celebrity I would have Elite status. Not the case. I need to sail 15 times with the Royal Carribean organization (10xs on Celebrity) in order to get Elite status. The fact that each time I cruise I purchase multiple cabins....the last cruise I had four cabins...have no bearing as well. Does this policy encourage customers to continue booking on Celebrity?

Sorry, but that has always been the case. However, if you reach a higher status on either line, the other will honor the higher status. My DH and I are Diamond members on RCI, which automatically gives us Elite status on Celebrity, so we get the higher perks when we sail Celebrity, even though we don't have the minimum number of trips with Celebrity to be Elite. Love both lines...have RCI booked in October. We are creeping up on Diamond Plus!

Instead of being "Unhappy with Captain's Club", you should be unhappy with yourself for not knowing this from the beginning. It has always been that way.

Think of the two lines as being seperate and you gain status on one line. Once you reach 10 cruises on either, you will be Diamond (RCI) or Elite (X). The good news is that once you reach that level on either line, you get to have that level on both.

Hope This Helps Clear it up.

Your cruises on Royal DO count, but you may not have enough credits for Elite.

Each cruise (regardless of length or cabin type) gets one credit. Each cruise in a JS or higher gets a bonus credit and each cruise 12 nights or longer gets another credit. But the bonuses only started in about 2002 or 2003. So you could have anywhere from 5 to 15 credits now in C&A. But 5 cruises gives you at least 5 credits and that is enough for Select on Celebrity. Admittedly, that isn't worth much, but it is an elevated level.

Not sure why you said it would take 15 times on RCL to get Elite. If you sail on RCL 10 times, even on short cruises in less than a suite, you would be Diamond in C&A and that would get you Elite on Celebrity.

Multiple cabins don't count on RCL for C&A levels, either. You could pay for the cabins for 20 people, but only get the credits on your C&A account for the cabin you sailed in.

The rules don't always make sense, but in the case of multiple cabins, there is at least a little logic. It would take manual accounting to not give credit to the occupants of a cabin and give it to someone else since the system is designed to associate passengers to cruises, not payors. And the people in the cabin may feel entitled to the credit. Would you want to have that discussion with folks who might feel they are getting slighted? Believe it or not, some people would expect to get cruise credits even if they didn't pay for the cruise.

So, for what it's worth, be sure the people who sailed in the cabins you pay for join C&A and get credit for their past sailings. At least someone will get them.

we made the same mistake at the beginning of our cruise life but quickly caught on, stuck with one of the two lines & got to Elite on X... (you get dbl for 14 days, CC bookings, same credits for shorter versus longer cruises--lots of ways to get there quickly)

Unfortunelty we are a few short for actual Diamond on Royal & may never get there if they up the ante to more than 10... but being Elite--we still get the Diamond perks...

we just booked our first Princess cruise due to the itin & we are "nothing" there--no perks,, no freebies--just looking forward to a fun trip!!

It states how they add up on the membership part of the website? We only have 7 credits on RCCL but 22 each on X but we prefer X so it was easy to save up. We cruises on Princess last August and have no intention of heading back anytime soon, overall just not our taste still a good cruise line. But we LOVE X :)

Does this policy encourage customers to continue booking on Celebrity?

The smart move is to book exclusively on one line until the elite level is reached. At that point, your status is transferable and you sail the other line.

The smart move is to book exclusively on one line until the elite level is reached. At that point, your status is transferable and you sail the other line.

I just don't get it.....to me, the 'perks' that are offered on either line just aren't that big of a deal to make me want to be loyal to either. Although, comparitively speaking, the loyalty program looks pretty darn good, I haven't seen anything that really is important enough to make it that big of a deal (-:shrug:-).

I guess the free bag-0-laundry deal looks decent, as does the free internet.....but nothing I feel is a deal-breaker, and would cause me to choose one line over another. Now if they threw in discounted excursions I'd be all over that! I guess, like everything else, it's subjective though.....

Maybe it's just me.

You can look at our signature and see we have been loyal royal. We had no idea our D status on RC would translate to Elite on X until very recently when we booked Equinox. What a delightful surprise. No complaints here. Can't wait for my free laundry and show shine. Thanks X!!

I just don't get it.....to me, the 'perks' that are offered on either line just aren't that big of a deal to make me want to be loyal to either. Although, comparitively speaking, the loyalty program looks pretty darn good, I haven't seen anything that really is important enough to make it that big of a deal (-:shrug:-).

I guess the free bag-0-laundry deal looks decent, as does the free internet.....but nothing I feel is a deal-breaker, and would cause me to choose one line over another. Now if they threw in discounted excursions I'd be all over that! I guess, like everything else, it's subjective though.....

Maybe it's just me.

Agree completely.....

Yep, that's the way it works. RCL also owns three other brands besides Royal Caribbean and Celebrity: Pullmantur Cruises, Azamara Club Cruises and CDF Croisières de France. You don't get any status on Royal Caribbean and Celebrity for cruising on Pullmantur or the French line. RCL also owns a big chunk of TUI, but no status points their either. Don't get upset, it's just the way it is. Their game, their rules.

Maybe it's just me.

Don't forget on RC Diamonds get $100 off balcony and up for 7 day cruises. If H & W are each Diamond, that's $200 off the bill right from the start. Plus cocktail hour each night. It's more than just laundry and the robes.

To the OP -- your frustration is understandable. At this point, you need to decide whether you prefer RC or X, and run up your "cruise count", in order to have reciprocity in the other line's loyalty program. Do be aware though, that for the present at least, X does not have an equivalent level to RC's D+ (24 credits). And, imagine how frustrating it would be to sail on any line owned by Carnival Corp (Carnival, HAL, Princess, Cunard -- to name a few). They have NO reciprocity in any of their loyalty programs! :eek:

Would you choose not to cruise at all if there were no perks like the Captains Club?

In this current time where there are so many people struggling to just make ends meet, I feel blessed even to be going on a vacation, much less a cruise where I am pampered and catered to for several days. I understand it is frustrating but I say don't let something small upset you or ruin your trip. Think of all the fun you'll be having racking up those points! :D

I think the program works well. We are diamond with RC and elite on Celebrity, and while you can't accumilate points on either and add them, they give you perks across the board. I see it as still gaining while having to cruise lines to pick from. We still feel we are loyal to the ROYAL CARIBBEAN brand, and still choose celebrity, Azamara and RC. We are now at a level where we cannot lose, and by moving around we never make Diamond plus,;);) so be it.

Exactly. I've put in my time with my family on vacation with Royal Caribbean and with 11 under my belt currently, can enjoy both Diamond thru Royal and Elite thru Celebrity. I've only done 2-nighters on the Century, but at some point in the future will experience one of the newer Celebrity ships!

we are Elite with celebrity and love the perks. we cruised 3 times so far this year and met the best people in the michaels club enjoying our free drinks. i loved being able to email home to hear that everything was ok and not worry about the .65 per minute charge and it taking l0 min to just connect. i also loved coming home with nice clean laundry that was pressed and folded better than the way we packed it to go. very little laundry to do when we got home. celebrity has my vote. why would we switch lines when we have these wonderful perks.

Archived