HAL vs PRINCESS

lindy sails

Advice would be appreciated! Trying to deceide if I should book the Noordam or the Crown Princess for a Dec. 23 holiday cruise. Both are doing the Western Caribbean. I' ve never taken a HAL cruise but have beeen on one Princess cruise. My favorite ship so far is the Celebrity Solstice. I've taken about 20 cruises but never on HAL. Many years ago I thought it attracted an older crowd but now I'm on the other side of 40!

Thanks so much!

Lindy

Lindy, I have no good way of saying which ship would be best because I think you will enjoy both! I have posted a couple of reviews of my trips on Princess and we are longtime HAL cruisers. IMHO if you like one the opportunity is there to like the other.

I would agree the ages on HAL age generally older but on our last Princess cruise, Canada/New England, last fall we saw little demographic difference. If it were my choice I would opt for the best timing and price. Of course, I think you always get in trouble recommending a restaurant, mechanic or movie!

Enjoy whichever you choose, the opportunity will be there:)

Mike

(hanks Mike!

I totally agree wth what you're saying. Princess is about $285 more but I have a cabin assignment on the Lido deck. I'm kind of interested in the new Sanctuary too. Noordam would be a guarantee but I've heard the cabins are larger, beds more comfy & the food is better.

Lindy

I've done ten Princess cruises, one HAL, and one Costa... and presently have the Volendam booked for next January.

Some things Princess does better, and some things HAL does better (Costa does nothing 'better'). I make my decisions based on a multitude of variables: price, itinerary and the ability to book a specific room.

I would much rather book a specific 'Inside' room on a high deck with easy access to the outside decks (and have it 'flagged' NO Upgrade), than have to book a 'Guarantee' that may see me 'upgraded'... to a worse room, on the lowest deck, at the bow, next to the anchor chain lockers.

If all my above criteria where equal between a Princess and a HAL cruise, I'd have to flip a coin to choose which to do.

if you liked Celebrity, then i would go for HAL. I find HAL's food superior (subjective thing I know) and service superior. As said, each do some things better. I think you will find that there is more space on HAL and the Noordam is a nice ship. whatever you decide, have a great cruise.:):)

hal's cabins are nicer and have a sitting area with a small couch (unless you get one of the so-called 'regular' cabins).

other than that, princess and hal are very similar.

a bit off-topic, but since someone else brought it up, one place where costa excels is with their itineraries.

Thanks for asking this question.... I am looking forward to the answers you get.

I went back and forth between boards trying to glean information before we booked either the Eurodam or the Crown Princess... what wound up happening is the beds everyone kept mentioning were the turning point.

I like comfy bedding.. :D

However, I still think I would like to try Princess after our upcoming HAL cruise. Their entertainment might be more our style....

We have been on both, although we "do" HAL more because of the collected perks. They're both fine lines and wonderful ships, certainly one is not better or worse than the other, and both have things you love about them and some things you don't like about them.

HAL is definitely "older," but you find your fun where you make it. It's really a coin-toss.

We have done many Carnival cruises, many Princess, 3 HAL and 1 Celebrity. I would give the nod to HAL over Princess any day. In our experience, Princess was going downhill at too fast a pace. Experience varied ship to ship, but on each ship we all (4 of us in 2 cabins) found the beds to be miserably hard, even with an egg crate). We think the food is better on HAL and always enjoyed the service. Our favorite so far is the Celebrity Equinox...

sailed once on the Crown Princess and hubby and I both agree that we will probably never sail Princess again.....possibly if they have some unique itinerary on their smaller boutique ships - but their large ships - never again --- too much confusion, not very attentive service (bordering on rudeness in a few instances) - and if you ever take a shore excursion with them - watch out for pandemonium and the most dreadful crowding and disorganization (and that's just on the ship waiting for your tour number to be called)......Main dining room food was comparable to HAL, but forget about the buffet lines/layout for breakfast and lunch - and everything was lukewarm to cold (talking pancakes, french toast - you name it).....

Hi,

I have done six cruises with Princess and five cruises with Holland America (I cruised with both lines last year). Also, I cruised aboard the Celebrity Solstice this past May (loved the ship). Although Princess and Holland America are both nice lines, I would chose the Noordam. I think the food and service on Holland America are more comparable to Celebrity. Holland America passengers may be older, but I have enjoyed all of my Holland America cruises (I am 46). Their ships are more spacious and elegant.

Chuck

Have not been on either ship but have 16 cruises on other Princess ships and 11 on other HAL ships. If the itinerary is the same, I would choose the Noordam because it has less passengers. At at Christmas, you are likely to see a younger crowd on both as there will be familes with children as well as grandparents.

HAL has better coffee than Princess. Beds are more comfy and for our family price is usually less.

Princess has better desserts (yes this is very subjective) and a few more activities.

We felt in the age department they were about equal, but many more wheelchairs and scooters on HAL.

Both offer a great product.

We are Elite with Princess and 3* with HA and happen to like both lines (on Grand Princess next month and Prinsendam in the spring). We have been on the Noordam twice but never on the Crown P except that we have taken 8 cruises on her sister ships. We would go on either ship in a heartbeat. But there are a few differences between the lines. We think HA food is a little better but Princess generally as better entertainment. The ships are quite a bit different in that the CP is a large Mega-ship whereas the Noordam would be considered more of a medium sized cruise ship in todays market (a ship this size used to be considered huge). If you like to participate in a lot of different ships activities you might be happier on the CP. We find HA a bit more laid-back and HA tries to feed into this mentality with fewer annoying annoucements, no blasting MUTS during the daytime (this drives me nutz), etc. On a holday cruise both ships will be full of families so we doubt if age would be a factor.

Hank

I love the Noordam. Cruised on her last November and am leaving tomorrow to sail her again on the Med. I have sailed twice on the Grand Princess (28 days) but not the Crown. IMO, I would definitely choose Noordam over Princess mostly because I love the Indonesian/Fillipino crew who provide excellent service.

Princess: Pro - large variety of excursions, nice adult pool area, good entertainment; self-serve laundry and ironing boards. Con: terrible beds, small cabins, service not quite up to HAL's standards, the constant noise from MUTS drove me crazy, you can even hear the noise in the Sanctuary.

Noordam: Pro - fantastic service, everywhere; fabulous beds with nice linens; larger rooms, especially inside and outside, very clean public areas, especially bathrooms which still have face cloths for drying hands; lots of quiet spots to sit and read or just relax. Con: I can't really think of anything except that it didn't have the self-service laundry and ironing boards.

I was surprised how much I liked the Noordam as I had previously only sailed on the smaller HAL ships. The ship went through a drydock this summer so it will be in great shape. I will report when I get back from the Med.

Fabul

ous comments & feedback. It looks likes its going to be the Noordam. Can't wait to hear about your Med cruise!! One other question the Solstice lounge chairs by the pool had chair pads that were so comfortable. How are the lounge chairs on the Noordam? Is there an adult pool and are there steps that you can walk into the pool or just ladders.

Happy Cruising to everyone!!

Lindy

Is there an adult pool and are there steps that you can walk into the pool or just ladders.

I can't remember which ship has a very small sign noting the aft pool as for adults. Otherwise, generally there is no adult pool. Sometimes there is a notice in the Daily Program asking that the aft pool be reserved for adults.

Compliance will vary.

There are ladders into the pools. Some ships have straight ladders; others have ladders with a slope. But on all the HAL ships I've ever sailed, I've never seen stairs in the pools. :(

I've only sailed Princess once, but HAL a number of times -my third on Noordam will be next month. I think HAL is generally superior to Princess, in cabin comfort, food, and service generally. I believe Celebrity runs a close second to HAL - is also a notch better than Princess. The only way Princess edges HAL is in the shows --otherwise, HAL wins hands down.

Fabul

ous comments & feedback. It looks likes its going to be the Noordam. Can't wait to hear about your Med cruise!! One other question the Solstice lounge chairs by the pool had chair pads that were so comfortable. How are the lounge chairs on the Noordam? Is there an adult pool and are there steps that you can walk into the pool or just ladders.

Happy Cruising to everyone!!

Lindy

We were on the Noordam last month. There is a sign indicating Adults Only Pool. Every time I was out there, kids were in the pool. The HAL crew did not enforce the policy.

There were many Europeans on that particular cruise (round-trip Rome) so perhaps they could not read the English sign.

I did not pay much attention to the comfort of the lounge chairs, they were hard to come by.

Happy sailing to you!

There were many Europeans on that particular cruise (round-trip Rome) so perhaps they could not read the English sign!

Believe me, they could read the English sign... they just don't care; and disregard it knowing the crew is not paid enough to take the abuse that would inevitably be hurled at them should they start trying to enforce the 'rules'.

sailed once on the Crown Princess and hubby and I both agree that we will probably never sail Princess again.....possibly if they have some unique itinerary on their smaller boutique ships - but their large ships - never again --- too much confusion, not very attentive service (bordering on rudeness in a few instances) - and if you ever take a shore excursion with them - watch out for pandemonium and the most dreadful crowding and disorganization (and that's just on the ship waiting for your tour number to be called)......Main dining room food was comparable to HAL, but forget about the buffet lines/layout for breakfast and lunch - and everything was lukewarm to cold (talking pancakes, french toast - you name it).....

Wow , sounds exactly like my thoughts about Golden Princess a few years ago . Never again. Disorganized.

Food not good. Desserts were inedible . Who puts tuna on pizza ?

... a bit off-topic, but since someone else brought it up, one place where costa excels is with their itineraries.

I was a little harsh on Costa. To be fair, I must admit - my stateroom (Concordia) was superior to any I have had on either Princess or HAL.

Archived