Delta changed my flight too

Got2Cruise

I couldn't believe it. Only found out accidently, to see what the fares now are. I have a flight booked non-stop from JFK to CPH. The flight now leaves 1:45 later. Just a warning to those who don't have extra time leeway, beware in booking Delta. (I really had no choice)

I couldn't believe it. Only found out accidently, to see what the fares now are. I have a flight booked non-stop from JFK to CPH. The flight now leaves 1:45 later. Just a warning to those who don't have extra time leeway, beware in booking Delta. (I really had no choice)

Happens all the time. In fact, I don't remember a booked flight that hasn't changed, at least once, in the pass five years. I usually book eight to eleven months out and check my flights once a week. Many times you will lose your seat locations if they change aircraft; so the reality is, if you don't monitor your own flights, you will lose your seats and they may even break up your traveling party. American moved my 8:00am flight (PVR to DFW) to 1:25pm with no notice -- I found out about it during my routine check of all my flights.

Not just Delta -- AA, Cont..., they all do it.

Southwest is the only airline that sticks to it's scheduled flights, but you can't book them more than four months to six months out.

If you don't have online accounts will all the airlines, you will be in the dark about your traveling future.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

All air lines do this Delta is not unique.

If you don't have online accounts will all the airlines, you will be in the dark about your traveling future.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Even that doesn't help - I have frequent flier accounts with Delta, American, and United but have never been notified of a schedule change - always had to discover it myself by checking my reservation on line!

On the other hand, both AirTran and JetBlue e-mailed me about schedule changes as little as five minutes.

You have to keep checking your flights. Often the changes are unimportand, like plus or minus five minutes. However, sometimes they are significant. Even 5 minutes can be important if you have areal tight connection

Airlines have no obligation to notify you of schedule changes, and you should never count on getting notified. I have a flight with CO for this summer, which I booked eight months ago. I've now had six schedule changes, no notification of any of them. I just check my itineraries every couple of days; it just takes a few seconds. It's worked out great, as I was able to switch to much better flights at no additional cost to me.

Delta reportedly has a mixed bag reputation for reliability of flight change notifications. One step is critical for the flyer: go to your Profile on Delta.com, click on "Contact Me" and see what's there. The ff member must proactively subscribe to and provide preferred contact information for each of:

Delta Flight Messenger Notifications

1) Advance Updates

We'll let you know well in advance. Subscribe and choose your contact preferences to receive updates on flight changes and complimentary medallion upgrade confirmations that happen 2 days to 2 months before departure.

2) Last Minute Updates

Stuff happens last minute. Don't be caught unaware. Subscribe and get updated on events that occur starting 48 hours prior to departure, including flight changes, complimentary medallion upgrade confirmations and mishandled baggage notifications.

3) Courtesy Reminders

Hectic schedule? Sign up for Courtesy Reminders so that you'll be on time for your flight.

Last week a delayed outbound would have caused a misconnection in ATL. DL sent a call to my mobile, an email and a text. Give DL credit for trying.

It's not enough to just "have" an ff account. Find the place in your account information where you subscribe to flight notifications. If you've done all of that correctly, and DL still doesn't tell you, it's their bad.

(And if you have a smart phone, Ipod touch etc., get the app for your airline and connect to your account. It's one more arrow in your quiver to ensure that you know what's going on with your reservations.)

Add me to the list of flyers that very rarely get notified of schedule changes (yes, UA, LX, LH, etc. all have multiple updated contact info). I would say 90% of all my flights each year have had schedule changes that I only discovered myself on-line. Just kind of a routine I go through a couple times a week is to check all my reservations (which seems like a ton right now).

So, agree with 6rugrats, the airlines really have no obligation to notify me of the schedule changes. It would be nice if they did every time, but I learned the hard way a long time ago not to solely think they are responsible and took a proactive approach to not be surprised at the airport.

John

One interesting point that Shorex mentioned.....DL's website says:

We'll let you know well in advance. Subscribe and choose your contact preferences to receive updates on flight changes and complimentary medallion upgrade confirmations that happen 2 days to 2 months before departure.
I note how they mention 2 months...that may be another reason why you don't see a schedule/flight change. Your flight may be outside that window. I will say that DL has advised me of changes outside that time frame, but that's usually been for "big" changes - such as a schedule change that eliminates my flight or a flight number change. They have also made 5-15 minute changes that have not been told to me, but again, outside the 2 month window.

I guess I'm in the minority..Just flew DL on Sunday 3-27-11 FLL-LAX (via ATL) and was notified via e-mail, cell phone and when I got home a phone call on my voicemail alerting me to the change of flight time due to weather..The 2:05pm departure flight out of FLL turned into a 3:30pm... I experienced this possible weather delay this same time last year so I booked a 3 hr. connection time and was I glad I did..We were some of the few that made our 7:05pm flight ATL-LAX last night...Whew..;)..Thanks DL...

However...DL needs to do something about the onboard restrooms:eek:

But Delta does this more than their fair share. For me, it's happened often enough that it's a reason not to fly on Delta.

I am really interested in collecting data points. In your Delta frequent flyer account had you subscribed to flight notifications? If the answer is yes, and you still didn't receive notifications in the preferred contact method that you supplied, then Delta has a systemic glitch. That well may be the case. The DL IT needs major work.

In any case, no matter which airline you choose, the not-so-pleasant reality is that the burden to check for flight changes is on the purchaser. Like rugrats, I check my itineraries frequently.

Interesting - travel agents are notified immediately after schedule changes and get them almost daily from all airlines and can adjust records accordingly. Guess those who book through agents are getting the preferred flights to rebook on and the clients doesn't have to worry about it - also get the better seat selection as we are notified so quickly.

I am really interested in collecting data points. In your Delta frequent flyer account had you subscribed to flight notifications? If the answer is yes, and you still didn't receive notifications in the preferred contact method that you supplied, then Delta has a systemic glitch. That well may be the case. The DL IT needs major work.

In any case, no matter which airline you choose, the not-so-pleasant reality is that the burden to check for flight changes is on the purchaser. Like rugrats, I check my itineraries frequently.

To clarify, I meant that they changed flight times or even whole flights that I have booked more often than other airlines. I only had one instance where I wasn't notified promptly. I don't recall any time when Southwest, JetBlue, or AirTran has changed a flight on me.

Hi, it's me the OP. . . the reason I posted the info is that I have read on this CC board concerning Delta constantly changing the schedule. The notification at this point is unimportant, even though I am signed up for email notification. I don't want people flying in for their cruise and then not being able to make it. And before, someone starts the rant about flying in the day before, not everyone has this option, for several reasons. Myself included. But I do have insurance, so I am not worried.

To clarify, I meant that they changed flight times or even whole flights that I have booked more often than other airlines. I only had one instance where I wasn't notified promptly. I don't recall any time when Southwest, JetBlue, or AirTran has changed a flight on me.
That is, in part, due to the much shorter booking windows that WN, FL and B6 operate with. When you open up inventory 11 months out, you will have changes in the interim. When it's only 4 months, less reason for changing your schedule.

Remember, they aren't just changing YOUR particular flight on YOUR specific date. These are overall schedule changes, adjusting for specific market demands. For example....it turns out that there is little demand for a mid-day flight from XYZ to ATL. DL determines that it should be dropped, as it's an uneconomical service. So, at the next schedule change, it isn't there anymore. Supply and demand, aka Econ 101.

If you don't like the possibility of a schedule change, don't book 6+ months out. Make it within a month of your flight and it is VERY unlikely to change. Of course, your ticket price will be higher. But, you don't have to worry about the possibility of a change. Pick your preference.

Hi, it's me the OP. . . the reason I posted the info is that I have read on this CC board concerning Delta constantly changing the schedule.
DL isn't "constantly" changing the schedule. Please provide ANY kind of data. You make it seem as though they have a dart-board in a cubicle in Atlanta where schedulers randomly move flights around. I can tell you....changing a schedule is a major undertaking, and is not done willy-nilly. There are ripple effects, both with passengers, equipment and crews.

I don't want people flying in for their cruise and then not being able to make it. And before, someone starts the rant about flying in the day before, not everyone has this option, for several reasons. Myself included. But I do have insurance, so I am not worried.
Run...the sky is falling. DL (and others) will change your flights to ensure you miss your flight. Avoid those evil airlines.

Your comment about insurance shows a certain naivete. Insurance is designed to protect against financial losses, and is to recoup actual expenses covered by the policy. Being "not worried" seems removed from reality. You may be covered for financial loss (and even then, check the policy) but that doesn't absolve responsibility for your travel plans.

Finally....just what was this horrid change that DL made? If arriving at 11am is so bad, did you enquire about rerouting to the ATL-CPH flight that arrives within 10 minutes of your original flight? Or going from JFK to CPH via CDG or AMS, also arriving at roughly your original time?

Delta reportedly has a mixed bag reputation for reliability of flight change notifications. One step is critical for the flyer: go to your Profile on Delta.com, click on "Contact Me" and see what's there. The ff member must proactively subscribe to and provide preferred contact information for each of:

Delta Flight Messenger Notifications

1) Advance Updates

2) Last Minute Updates

Stuff happens last minute. Don't be caught unaware. Subscribe and get updated on events that occur starting 48 hours prior to departure, including flight changes, complimentary medallion upgrade confirmations and mishandled baggage notifications.

3) Courtesy Reminders

Hectic schedule? Sign up for Courtesy Reminders so that you'll be on time for your flight.

Subscribing does little to insure that Delta will actually contact you. It is very hit and miss with them. I have been "subscribed" to each of these with Delta for years. I used to get pretty regular notifications of flight changes, delays, cancellations, but over the last year or so the notifications have been practically nil. If you got contacted recently, well, good for you, but the best advice is still to check on your own regularly, and with increasing regularity as the flight date gets closer.

For me, yes, I am and have been subscribed and still almost never receive notifications.... not in December when I arrived at the airport to find my flight was cancelled, nor in November when my flight was delayed several times, ultimately causing a misconnect, nor on countless other occasions. That Delta IT needs major work is a pretty well known fact; check out the Delta forum on FlyerTalk for yourself and you'll see what I mean.

We booked Delta thru the cruiseline, & were notified of a minor change early-on, no problem. The next change was too much to take, & we raised holy h***. We were to fly out from MHT thru ATL to FLL, which is what we got. The change was in the return, booked for FLL to ATL to MHT. This became FLL to ATL to DTW to MHT, adding about a million miles to the trip home. We screamed until they flew us from FLL to DTW to MHT, which wasn't great, but better than the 2-stop trip.

For September we are booked on Southwest thru Phoenix to LAX, because SW doesn't do things like this to their pax.

I think we are done with Delta.

Steve

I finally did receive an email notification of the change last night. This is the nonstop flight JFK to CPH and my thinking is that they probably pushed it back in order for more connections to be able to make it. It is the only nonstop from JFK to CPH. Otherwise one has to go to EWR. For those of us on LI it is a great hassle.

This became FLL to ATL to DTW to MHT, adding about a million miles to the trip home. ve

I would love to get a schedule change like that; pretty easy to make top status with any airline if you fly a million miles a year.

Your hyperbole aside, original routing you had of FLL-ATL-MHT was 1533 miles; changed itinerary of FLL-ATL-DTW-MHT was 1785. Hardly a million miles difference.

Yada Yada Yada. You are putting words into my mouth. Where did I say Horrid? You have to be kidding me buddy. Not that it is any of your business, but if you read my previous post, I am very aware of the risks of flying in the day of, but I will repeat again s-l-o-w-l-y, some of us don't have that option. The best we can do is purchase insurance and hope for the best. Your response to my little post was way over the line. . .and totally uncalled for.

That is, in part, due to the much shorter booking windows that WN, FL and B6 operate with. When you open up inventory 11 months out, you will have changes in the interim. When it's only 4 months, less reason for changing your schedule.

Remember, they aren't just changing YOUR particular flight on YOUR specific date. These are overall schedule changes, adjusting for specific market demands. For example....it turns out that there is little demand for a mid-day flight from XYZ to ATL. DL determines that it should be dropped, as it's an uneconomical service. So, at the next schedule change, it isn't there anymore. Supply and demand, aka Econ 101.

If you don't like the possibility of a schedule change, don't book 6+ months out. Make it within a month of your flight and it is VERY unlikely to change. Of course, your ticket price will be higher. But, you don't have to worry about the possibility of a change. Pick your preference.

DL isn't "constantly" changing the schedule. Please provide ANY kind of data. You make it seem as though they have a dart-board in a cubicle in Atlanta where schedulers randomly move flights around. I can tell you....changing a schedule is a major undertaking, and is not done willy-nilly. There are ripple effects, both with passengers, equipment and crews.

Run...the sky is falling. DL (and others) will change your flights to ensure you miss your flight. Avoid those evil airlines.

Your comment about insurance shows a certain naivete. Insurance is designed to protect against financial losses, and is to recoup actual expenses covered by the policy. Being "not worried" seems removed from reality. You may be covered for financial loss (and even then, check the policy) but that doesn't absolve responsibility for your travel plans.

Finally....just what was this horrid change that DL made? If arriving at 11am is so bad, did you enquire about rerouting to the ATL-CPH flight that arrives within 10 minutes of your original flight? Or going from JFK to CPH via CDG or AMS, also arriving at roughly your original time?

Your response to my little post was way over the line. . .and totally uncalled for.

When you write "Just a warning to those who don't have extra time leeway, beware in booking Delta." that's what's over the line. You throw out your drive-by "warning" without any kind of substantiation. Any reason for using that word "beware"?

The best we can do is purchase insurance and hope for the best.
Nope. Though it may be the best that YOU wish to do. I notice you didn't bother to mention anything about the reroute suggestions that I provided....hmmm. If the arrival is so critical, did you rebook through CDG or AMS? Did you rebook onto JFK-ATL-CPH? Nope - you want your non-stop, from the closest airport to you, AND you want your original arrival time, and beware to anyone who might book with DL. So let's just hope rather than take proactive steps to adapt to changes.

The sky still isn't falling.

Archived