One day in Naples...Capri or Amalfi Coast?

Lido Lounger

Almalfi Coast.

It is always "open".

The little boats can't go into the Blue Grotto unless the water is absolutely flat, and often is isn't. So if you are thinking Blue Grotto, that is by no means a certain bet.

From what I read Capri is wonderful.

From what I experienced the Amalfi coast is unique and if I was to go back, I'd do it again!

We've seen Pompeii on our last trip. Trying to decide on going to Capri or Amalfi coast drive/lunch?

I was facing the same decision for my upcoming trip... Capri or Amalfi Coast.

After reading many comments on these boards I decided on the Amalfi Coast.

I also watched the Rick Steves episode on the Amalfi Coast and that clenched it for me. You may find it helpful to watch it, below is the link:

One of the deciding factors for me was the date. We will be in Naples port on a Saturday in the peak season. I think (and I could be mistaken) that it could be extremely crowded in Capri.

Another factor that I considered is that day will be our last day of a very port intensive 12 day cruise. I think a more relaxing day just enjoying the beauty of the Amalfi coast will be nice. We are taking a private excursion to the Amalfi Coast and will visit Positano (lunch), Ravello, Amalfi and Sorrento.

I will visit Capri and Pompeii on my next visit.;)

Have fun with whatever you decide!

One of the deciding factors for me was the date. We will be in Naples port on a Saturday in the peak season. I think (and I could be mistaken) that it could be extremely crowded in Capri.

You are not mistaken, but prepare yourself for the same kind of crushing crowds along the Amalfi Coast. The entire coast road is one lane in each direction ... so it will be slow going. However, you don't have to worry about the driving and it will give you lots of time to admire the incredible views as they won't be whipping by you.

How would you feel about spending most of your day on a bus in absolutely horrible traffic on a twisty windy road? That is the drive along the Amalfi Coast in summer. It is beautiful, but it is extremely crowded, and the beach is nothing but lounge chair after lounge chair. If I have to deal with crowds, I would much rather be walking around and moving than on a bus, so I would vote for a ferry over Capri.

We loved the Almafi Coast. We took a "normal" vacation and found Sorrento so charming & relaxing that we stayed there a week. We weren't on a cruise at that time although did take a day cruise to the small town of Almafi. It was amazing - literally nestled on the step hillsides. Just beautiful. We just did a "drive-by" of Capri.

I lived in the Naples area for two years. Whenever family/friends visited, I always took them to the Amalfi Coast. I don' t think I took anyone to Capri. It's gorgeous, but Amalfi is spectacular.

FWIW, a previous poster said the road is one lane. Not true. It may become one-lane when two buses meet on a curve, but otherwise is two lanes. I've drove it numerous times (and even been passed :eek:).

FWIW, a previous poster said the road is one lane. Not true. It may become one-lane when two buses meet on a curve, but otherwise is two lanes. I've drove it numerous times (and even been passed :eek:).

:eek::eek: Been there!

• 2 weeks later...
Capri. I've never been to the Blue Grotto, but I vote Capri because of the chair lift ride to Anacapri.. and the pizza.

2588763320100375545S600x600Q85.jpg

2522956510100375545S600x600Q85.jpg

2906629680100375545S600x600Q85.jpg

2707975830100375545S600x600Q85.jpg

How hard is it to get to the ferry from the Naples port? How much is the ferry and how do we get to the chair lift. This looks like something we would realy enjoy. We have already done the Amalfi Coast and Pompeii which were fantastic.

My Vote is for Amalfi coast. We have done the drive with a private driver and absolutely loved it! We had a choice to do the Amalfi coast or Capri once again this summer. Picked Amalfi coast once again, as I just could not get enough of the views. Be sure to have your driver reserve a lunch up in the hills......one of most unforgettable days! (We used and are using driveinrome.com once again....they were amazing! )

IMG_2379.JPG.4127fcc012f3de5ee0aa9864c31f97e1.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Wow. You all make a compelling case for Amalfi... Two questions:

- See tours that offer a boat ride up the Amalfi coast. Is this a better option than just the bus?

- Another tour takes you to Capri via hydrofoil and then on a cruise to Amalfi with a bus ride back. 9.5 hrs total. Too much for a day?

We'll be with our 8 and 6-year old girls, both amazing travelers for their ages but still children...

Any advice welcome.

I would never do it in a bus. The buses can't go to the most spectacular (and windy) parts. Really recommend getting a group and doing it in a private van; we used see sorrento dot com. The lunch was amazing too although it wouldn't be particularly interesting to kids.

It is not far from the ship to the ferry. Maybe two blocks tops. When you purchase your tickets, purchase round trip tickets with the time you wish to return. Then you can't be closed out. Then from the ferry you take a taxi, either a van, or a special convertible taxi up to anacapri. After anacapri you want to wander the shops and go to the gardens in the mid section called Capritown, you take a taxi to here. You take the funicular from Capritown to the bottom where the ferry is.

How hard is it to get to the ferry from the Naples port? How much is the ferry and how do we get to the chair lift. This looks like something we would realy enjoy. We have already done the Amalfi Coast and Pompeii which were fantastic.

We've seen Pompeii on our last trip. Trying to decide on going to Capri or Amalfi coast drive/lunch?

CAPRI and do something fun like around the island in a boat and a picnic, wanted to do that but got rained out, + who wants to ride in a car for hrs.

cruisinbob.com

Amalfi Coast to Positano and Sorrento with a private driver is absolute magic. You could stop in Herculaneum on the way in the early morning. Shop for Italian pottery (don't worry, the shops will mail it to your home! Takes about 2 months to get it- well worth the wait!) Your daughters will be enchanted by the beautiful pieces - especially marine life and face plaques - make sure they each get a little something. Buy lemoncello candy and other items in town, see the views, have an amazing meal - many of the restauarants offer breathtaking views - have your driver make a reservation and luxuriate in the beauty that is this area of the world. Go to the beach, if you have time. It is very magical and extraordinary.

Capri is lovely, but comparatively expensive. I think your girls would enjoy the Blue Grotto, but at this time of year, it will take forever to get in there and I can't imagine the lines for the lift. IDK, I just think the Amalfi Coast offers so much more for a family this time of year.

Now let me mention the Grotta dello Smeraldo

http://www.fodors.com/world/europe/italy/amalfi-coast-and-capri/review-98788.html

This might be the perfect focus for your day trip with your children!

Archived