Birth certificate or SS card?

usmuk

On a closed loop cruise to the Caribbean, will a social security card suffice as proof of citizenship or do you have to have an orginal/certified copy of your birth certificate?

We do not plan on getting passports.

On a closed loop cruise to the Caribbean, will a social security card suffice as proof of citizenship or do you have to have an orginal/certified copy of your birth certificate?

We do not plan on getting passports.

If you do not plan on getting your passports then you will need the birth cert.

You will need your birth certificate with the raised seal and a government photo ID. If you do not plan on getting a passport, keep in mind that if you need to fly from a foreign country it will be very difficult. You also can not enter Canada from the US without a passport. A passport is $135 and is good for 10 years which is only 13.50 a year.

SS cards are not good as ID for ANYTHING, except paying taxes or getting supplemental retirement funds!

Your BC and DL will be fine for a "closed loop" cruise. No need to pay the gov't. more money than you have to!

ss cards are not good as id for anything, except paying taxes or getting supplemental retirement funds!

Your bc and dl will be fine for a "closed loop" cruise. No need to pay the gov't. More money than you have to!

lol

Social security card is NOT proof of citizenship. You must have either a birth certificate and a government issued photo ID or a passport.

This is correct. It is what I was told by Princess rep when I booked and a friend who works for the cruise lines.

This is a stereotypical newbie question. I have never understood why people just don't get a passport. Suppose you carry your original birth certificate and lose it? You sure don't want the hassle involved in getting a reissue. Or the cost of being repatriated after you wait for the bureaucracy to figure out a way to readmit you to the U.S.

It also befuddles me that people book cruises, including making final payments, without knowing what is required.

Let me create an analogy. I know some people don't believe in credit cards. But almost every cruise has a story ciriculating about Mr. and Mrs. Joe Schmoe, who don't have a credit card but also came without enough cash needed to satisfy the cruise line's cash requirements. I once witnessed one such hapless couple waiting for a relative to bring in enough cash so they can cruise. Wanna bet these are the people canceling autotips.

Crazy.

You can't use the SS card. You MUST have a certified copy of the BC (with raised seal) AND a gov't issued photo ID (ie driver's license or ID issued at DMV). You will get to the port and be standing watching the ship sail without you. Passport is best, but in lieu of the passport, you have to have the BC and photo ID. No exceptions. We've seen passengers crying, moaning, groaning and cursing and none of it works without the proper documentation. Go to the cruiseline's website and verify the requirements. They won't budge no matter what the age, or the sob story.

Other than the issue of identity theft, your Social Security card is only good for its original intention.

They are no good as any form of ID especially when you can buy one with any number your choose at most local flea markets!

This is a stereotypical newbie question. I have never understood why people just don't get a passport. Suppose you carry your original birth certificate and lose it? You sure don't want the hassle involved in getting a reissue. Or the cost of being repatriated after you wait for the bureaucracy to figure out a way to readmit you to the U.S.

It also befuddles me that people book cruises, including making final payments, without knowing what is required.

Let me create an analogy. I know some people don't believe in credit cards. But almost every cruise has a story ciriculating about Mr. and Mrs. Joe Schmoe, who don't have a credit card but also came without enough cash needed to satisfy the cruise line's cash requirements. I once witnessed one such hapless couple waiting for a relative to bring in enough cash so they can cruise. Wanna bet these are the people canceling autotips.

Crazy.

I have a passport, however, my 85 year old grandparents who will be joining us do not, and do not want to get one, as they are 85 years old and the return on investment isn't exactly looking good. Do not belittle anyone for choosing to not get a passport. It is a personal choice. You could also refer to the statement above - why pay the government more than you have to when a birth certificate will suffice? Either get off of your high horse or stop perusing the boards for "typical" newbie questions if you have no intentions of helping anyone out.

Thank you everyone else for your informative answers! Can't wait for the family cruise!

I have a passport, however, my 85 year old grandparents who will be joining us do not, and do not want to get one, as they are 85 years old and the return on investment isn't exactly looking good. Do not belittle anyone for choosing to not get a passport. It is a personal choice. You could also refer to the statement above - why pay the government more than you have to when a birth certificate will suffice? Either get off of your high horse or stop perusing the boards for "typical" newbie questions if you have no intentions of helping anyone out.

Thank you everyone else for your informative answers! Can't wait for the family cruise!

It's not belittling it's just good protection if you ever have a "holy crap" moment and are stuck in a strange country and no where to go. Your passport is the best identification you can have. The same question keeps getting asked and the answer is so logical. If your going to leave your home country get a passport.

It's not belittling it's just good protection if you ever have a "holy crap" moment and are stuck in a strange country and no where to go. Your passport is the best identification you can have. The same question keeps getting asked and the answer is so logical. If your going to leave your home country get a passport.

What gord13 said.

That should "stuff" happened to your grandparents or anyone else in your reunion, they will not be able to fly without a passport (unless you private charter and deal with US Immigration at the end). To get one from the US consulate may take a precious day or two.

I really wish Congress would just make it mandatory: "leave US borders" and you need a passport to get back in. No closed-loop loophole, no passport card, no birth certificate/gov't id; leave the US get a passport to get back in.

Getting off soapbox.:rolleyes:

I'm sure nothing will happen and you and your family will have a good time.:)

Plus with a passport you are registered with your countries embassy so if there is for some strange reason political urest, robbed, whatever, you show up at the door and in you go. A great safegard.

I totally agree with this post. It is almost like some people have a personal agenda with the passport issue. Who cares.

If you don't need one than don't get one.

People cruise every week without a passport and do just fine.

Plus with a passport you are registered with your countries embassy so if there is for some strange reason political urest, robbed, whatever, you show up at the door and in you go. A great safegard.

Most of the folks here are going to the Caribbean(St.Maartin, Cayman, Bahama's, ect). Not Beirut, S Africa, or the Middle East.

I think they will be OK.

Nice scare tactic......

I really wish Congress would just make it mandatory: "leave US borders" and you need a passport to get back in. No closed-loop loophole, no passport card, no birth certificate/gov't id; leave the US get a passport to get back in.

Agreed ... I believe the loopholes should be closed.

This is a very good point and one that too many people shrug off with "The chances are so remote that we don't care"...right up until an emergency situation effects them.

I totally agree with this post. It is almost like some people have a personal agenda with the passport issue. Who cares.

If you don't need one than don't get one.

People cruise every week without a passport and do just fine.

I think the agenda, if you wish to call it that, is that there is no other major country in the world where it's such a huge deal to some people to get a passport. If you want to travel from one country to another, you get the document that is not only required most places, but that will give you the best protection in any situation. It is the one thing that can get you through nearly any emergency--including one involving an older family member who has a sudden and unexpected health concern.

It's not that I don't understand why many don't want to make the investment and, as long as specific land crossings and closed loop cruises are allowed the exception under the WHTI, then the BC plus government photo ID are fine. The US is a huge country that can take a lifetime to explore. We have pretty much every climate, every type of geography, and all kinds of regional and local cultures. It's not like Europe where you can cross three countries in 2 days. However, I do not believe that the cost in time and money of getting a passport is an unreasonable burden for the security it provides. Come to think of it, US passports are hot commodities that fetch big $$$ on the black market.

As well, keep in mind that there are closed loop cruises where a passport is required because one or more of the port stops is in a country that requires all passengers to have a valid passport, period. The US cannot require those countries to waive the requirement for US citizens who are on closed loop cruises. I've read a number of stories about passengers being left at the port because they didn't bother to make sure of what they needed. The cruise lines make darn sure to cover themselves by stating that passengers are responsible for their own documents and ID.

Most of the folks here are going to the Caribbean(St.Maartin, Cayman, Bahama's, ect). Not Beirut, S Africa, or the Middle East.

I think they will be OK.

Nice scare tactic......

It's not a scare tactic. You "think" everyone going to the Caribbean will be okay. That's nice and even generally true. But the fact is that emergencies do happen and you cannot guarantee otherwise. You think there is no violent crime in the Caribbean? Think again. You think that political situations cannot unwind unexpectedly? They can. Stating the truth is not intended to belittle or frighten. It's intended to enlighten.

Here's the bottom line though: As long as the WHTI allows closed loop cruise passengers (and land crossings) to travel with only a BC and photo ID, people should feel free to do so. But I don't want to hear about how unfair it is if they do happen to have an emergency and have problems because they don't have a passport. They weighed the cost-risk, just like people who won't buy various types of insurance (travel or otherwise) and then scream that "someone" (usually the travel companies or "the government") should pay for their mistakes or emergencies.

beachchick

I have a passport, however, my 85 year old grandparents who will be joining us do not, and do not want to get one, as they are 85 years old and the return on investment isn't exactly looking good. ...

I highly recommend that you double check that your grandparents have valid official (issued by the government) birth certificates. Those issued by hospitals are not valid for travel purposes.

Aloha,

John

This is a very good point and one that too many people shrug off with "The chances are so remote that we don't care"...right up until an emergency situation effects them.

I think the agenda, if you wish to call it that, is that there is no other major country in the world where it's such a huge deal to some people to get a passport. If you want to travel from one country to another, you get the document that is not only required most places, but that will give you the best protection in any situation. It is the one thing that can get you through nearly any emergency--including one involving an older family member who has a sudden and unexpected health concern.

It's not that I don't understand why many don't want to make the investment and, as long as specific land crossings and closed loop cruises are allowed the exception under the WHTI, then the BC plus government photo ID are fine. The US is a huge country that can take a lifetime to explore. We have pretty much every climate, every type of geography, and all kinds of regional and local cultures. It's not like Europe where you can cross three countries in 2 days. However, I do not believe that the cost in time and money of getting a passport is an unreasonable burden for the security it provides. Come to think of it, US passports are hot commodities that fetch big $$$ on the black market.

As well, keep in mind that there are closed loop cruises where a passport is required because one or more of the port stops is in a country that requires all passengers to have a valid passport, period. The US cannot require those countries to waive the requirement for US citizens who are on closed loop cruises. I've read a number of stories about passengers being left at the port because they didn't bother to make sure of what they needed. The cruise lines make darn sure to cover themselves by stating that passengers are responsible for their own documents and ID.

It's not a scare tactic. You "think" everyone going to the Caribbean will be okay. That's nice and even generally true. But the fact is that emergencies do happen and you cannot guarantee otherwise. You think there is no violent crime in the Caribbean? Think again. You think that political situations cannot unwind unexpectedly? They can. Stating the truth is not intended to belittle or frighten. It's intended to enlighten.

Here's the bottom line though: As long as the WHTI allows closed loop cruise passengers (and land crossings) to travel with only a BC and photo ID, people should feel free to do so. But I don't want to hear about how unfair it is if they do happen to have an emergency and have problems because they don't have a passport. They weighed the cost-risk, just like people who won't buy various types of insurance (travel or otherwise) and then scream that "someone" (usually the travel companies or "the government") should pay for their mistakes or emergencies.

beachchick

Although I gernerally agree with what you are trying to say, you don't have your facts straight on a couple of counts:

(1) There are no US land border crossings that allow you to use a birth certificate and photo ID. At a minimum adults need a passport card or WHTI compliant document such as an EDL for land crossings Between the US and Canada or Mexico. Closed loop cruises are the only international travel permitting use of the BC/photo ID.

(2) There is a very significant area of the world where it is possible to travel from country to country without a passport...within the 25 country Schengen area in Europe...which consists of, with a couple of exceptions, the countries of the European Union. So, the US is not the only country that allows some international travel without a passport.

I do not think that poster was belittling you. One thing to consider is that a passport is probably actually more essential for someone who is elderly than who is young. Without a passport it is time consuming and a hassle to fly back to the U.S. part-way into a cruise if some kind of emergency arises. Someone in their 80s is far more likely to experience a medical emergency that requires them to need to cut the cruise short. Without a passport significant extra steps, hassle and stress and time are involved in obtaining clearance to return to the U.S. If it was my parents in this scenario, I personally would be strongly encouraging them to obtain a passport. Only you and your parents can decide what is the right thing for you guys to do, but please take in all the information and do not dismiss opposing views as being insulting; people are simply trying to provide you with helpful information that will make life much easier for you in the unfortunate case of an emergency arising during your vacation.

Archived