Captains Table

We have been to the Captains table 6 times, one on QM2 and all the others on RCCL. I have absolutely NO idea why or how on RCCL, but on the QM2 the social host came to our meet and mingle and I asked her if she could arrange and she did. So who knows!!

After 11 cruises on RCCL how do we get to sit at the Captains table for dinner?

1. Be very high up in the C&A food chain.

2. Book a really big suite.

3. Be a very attractive couple.

4. Be the same nationality as the captain.

5. No one knows.

5. No one knows.

Well then I guess we fall under the very attractive couple part:) 5 times at the Captains table on RCCL and now I finally figured it out:)

I have bene having dinner withs the Captain, but it eas in Windjammer - does it count?

We dropped the formal night and went to WJ instead. We arrived very late, and only 1 more table was occupied. It was next to our table, and was a number of crew members. Then the Captain came, and as he could hear, that we speaked Danish, and he was Norwegian, he moved over to our table. Why he did not eat in MDR, I donot know.

5. No one knows.

Well then I guess we fall under the very attractive couple part:) 5 times at the Captains table on RCCL and now I finally figured it out:)

And I guess that we fall under the "No one knows" part - or at least we did once!

We got chatting to the Captain at the C & A welcome back party, he took a note of our names and the next day we had an invitation to dine at his table. So I guess we were actually invited by the Captain himself :)

Why would you or anyone else want to?

Being asked to sit with the captain or another officer is considered an honor. The evening is very special starting with cocktails, then to the dining room for dinner. Often there is a special menu or menu items. The invitation will often note the attire (not merely suggest attire). The table will be photographed and at the end of dinner you will be given the photo along with a souvenir menu. Sometimes the host will also provide other amenities such as a rose for the ladies, cruise line cookbook, or an invitation for a special tour later in the cruise.

If this is not your cup of tea, and you happen to receive an invitation you can simply decline.

M

5. No one knows.

Well – I’d like to say #3 but (pardon the pun) "that ship has sailed"

But it is more likely #1 for us on RCCL ( it is actually a stated amenity for reaching a certain C&A point level ) and #5 as on our first Celebrity cruise, we were invited to dine with an officer.

M

I truly enjoyed dinner with the captain...

We got a phone call from the social host of the ship inviting us.

We weren't in a huge suite or high up on crown & anchor or anything like that.

We had done some business with the social hostess, so I don't know if she was behind it or not.

But yes it's a whole evening.... with pre dinner cocktails, meeting of the other guests, photos, and then dinner.

The dinner at the captains table is different than what everyone else is having.

On our ship it was a menu the captain crafted himself. The highlight was this grand marnier souffle, that was to die for. I had same souffle on other ships and it was nothing like this.

Conversation with some of the guests were stale, but the other perks were awesome. Captain even took the girlfriend and i on a private tour of the bridge later in the week.

I would say, don't directly ask but nicely and politely mingle with some of the staff.

It's a fun experience, I still have the keepsake they give you someplace..

We had the

• 5 months later...

I was on RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas in February sailing to New Caledonia and I was invited to the Captain's Table, my second cruise with RCCL. I was also invited many, many years ago on my first RCCL cruise. There were two others and it was their first cruise, one couple was Diamond Plus and the other couple their second cruise.

I was on RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas in February sailing to New Caledonia and I was invited to the Captain's Table, my second cruise with RCCL. I was also invited many, many years ago on my first RCCL cruise. There were two others and it was their first cruise, one couple was Diamond Plus and the other couple their second cruise.

Hello VJH, nice to see you over on these boards as well as Celebrity. I was just wondering, since I believe you travel soloo sometimes, have you ever been asked to the Captain's table solo. Since it always seems like it is all couples I was wondering if they would ever ask a solo.

Hello VJH, nice to see you over on these boards as well as Celebrity. I was just wondering, since I believe you travel soloo sometimes, have you ever been asked to the Captain's table solo. Since it always seems like it is all couples I was wondering if they would ever ask a solo.

I'm not VJH, but I travel solo quite a bit. I was invitied to the Captain's table on Vision. There were 8 D+ on board. We were all invited one evening. There were 3 couples and one other single. It was very nice.

My last five sailings I've had dinner at the Captains table. I can honestly say that if we aren't invited on our next cruise I will be disappointed.

I feel it is a huge honor to be recognized and eat at the captains table.

The food is to die for. It is a different menu than the rest of the passengers get.

The picture of the group for future memories. The great part is we knew everyone at our table. So it was like getting a free pic of our closest cruising friends.

The coctails before dinner and during dinner is also very nice.

Yes, solo cruisers are invited. On each of our sailings we had solo cruisers that were invited.

If you are ever invited, I recommend you go.

My Wife and I were invited to the Captains table on our second cruise with RCI earlier this year on the Brilliance. We booked a guaranteed oceanview cabin and were upgraded to a Superior Balcony Cabin, guess luck was on our side. I suspect our invite was down to the Maitre'd who spoke to us a lot at dinner. My wife is a very, sociable person so perhaps that was the reason. It certainly couldn't have been me as I am a grumpy old sod or so she says:rolleyes:

My last five sailings I've had dinner at the Captains table. I can honestly say that if we aren't invited on our next cruise I will be disappointed.

I feel it is a huge honor to be recognized and eat at the captains table.

The food is to die for. It is a different menu than the rest of the passengers get.

The picture of the group for future memories. The great part is we knew everyone at our table. So it was like getting a free pic of our closest cruising friends.

The coctails before dinner and during dinner is also very nice.

Yes, solo cruisers are invited. On each of our sailings we had solo cruisers that were invited.

If you are ever invited, I recommend you go.

Agree 100%, but not all ships do it like it was on Monarch. Some ships don't have the cocktails, flowers, signed cookbook, signed menus, special food selection, exceptional wine, etc. We've been spoiled.

Bob

Our first time was on cruise #5, the invitation was a complete surprise. We noticed in the MDR one night, the head waiter was speaking to our waiter and they kept looking over at us to the point that I was starting to wonder what we had done. The head waiter came over after dinner to ask if we would like to dine at the captain's table. 2nd time was on cruise #17, we received a phone call inviting us. 3rd time (#27) was just a few weeks ago, we came back from breakfast to find an invitation slipped under our door. The others at the table were all Pinnacles or at least, very close to pinnacle, we are just lowly D+. In fact, the woman seated next to me seemed puzzled as to why we would be there with so few cruises!:D

We think it is always an honor to be invited. The food is very good (last time we had whole lobsters) and wonderful wine. We were given a picture of the event & a cookbook. It was a lovely experience.

Sherri:)

I can tell you one thing, the people who show up in the MDR in "nice" shorts and a "clean" baeball cap because after all it is their vacation so the dress code does not apply to them are not getting invited

The first time I was invited was after we'd had some issues, and i offhandedly said that dining with the Captain would maybe make up for it....:o :D That was a LOT of fun....

I was also invited to dine with the Staff Captain - not sure how that happened, but that too was nice...and on the Summit, after being on for 3 weeks, the Hotel Director invited me....that was a great time as well.

If I get invited, I think it's a wonderful treat - and I would not turn down the invitation.....but it's a LONG evening - and last time on EX it was rather hot in the dining room.....(actually since I was used to eating early, I wound up sitting with my friends and nibbling on some salad - and a birthday treat - then went off to the Captain's table....

Agree 100%, but not all ships do it like it was on Monarch. Some ships don't have the cocktails, flowers, signed cookbook, signed menus, special food selection, exceptional wine, etc. We've been spoiled.

Bob

Last Captain's Table we were at on Freedom had all the amenities except the cookbook. On Monarch last cruise we had dinner with Carl the F&B Director. It was exceptional and better than the Captain's tables we have been at! A truly "5 Star" experience. John Denton's entire staff does great service!!!

Last Captain's Table we were at on Freedom had all the amenities except the cookbook. On Monarch last cruise we had dinner with Carl the F&B Director. It was exceptional and better than the Captain's tables we have been at! A truly "5 Star" experience. John Denton's entire staff does great service!!!

We also had dinner one night......John was off for a week. At about 10:45 we had a table crasher. This girl/ladie showed up in the almost empty dining room and sat at a table by herself next to our table and proceeded to just watch our table. After about 15 minutes she got up and stood next to our table inquiring who Carl was. Odly she offered him a lap dance.........no joke! We started handing her our flowers and a cookbook in hopes she would leave. But she pulled up a chair and sat down.

It was probably the oddest thing I've ever seen.

I hit 2 and a half out of 5, but one of them is number 5, and the wife is the half of number 3 :D

5. No one knows.

We also had dinner one night......John was off for a week. At about 10:45 we had a table crasher. This girl/ladie showed up in the almost empty dining room and sat at a table by herself next to our table and proceeded to just watch our table. After about 15 minutes she got up and stood next to our table inquiring who Carl was. Odly she offered him a lap dance.........no joke! We started handing her our flowers and a cookbook in hopes she would leave. But she pulled up a chair and sat down.

It was probably the oddest thing I've ever seen.

Wow, that is odd! I think I'm glad I missed that.

Bob

Archived