Bringing wine/champagne onboard?

[quote name='39august']People do NOT get booted off the ship for bringing alcohol aboard. There is a statement in the contract that RCI MAY deny boarding. That would only happen if the passenger became abusive and belligerent about having the alcohol taken away. we had a bottle detected only once in many cruises. Lots more times, never was detected. However, I think I am going to forgo bringing wine aboard in the future as I don't want to chance the hassle of going to the "naughty room" to clear my luggage after alcohol is detected.[/quote]

But it's there. So while it may be small right now, there is a risk that the passenger "[B]may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense[/B]." Just something to keep in mind...

[quote name='leaveitallbehind']...just an opinion as comment in the context of my post - don't believe I stated it as a fact. Not asserting any statistical certainty.[/quote]

If you state an opinion, you better back it up. Stating "most people" get caught is unproven and very misleading. It's equivalent to saying the "moon is flat and full of trees" but we all know the real answer.

[quote name='graphicguy']RCCL does not allow anyone to bring alcohol aboard. Now, that being said, there is a whole product category that you can find on-line and at travel gift shops that caters to people who will indeed bring their own alcohol aboard, as many, many people do.

Is it right? Is it wrong? Well, depends on who you ask. I believe it's wrong for cruise lines to absolutely rape their customers with their pricing for alcoholic drinks and bottles purchased on board for consumption on board. It really is outrageous. I think they do a disservice to their customers by this practice. It's the entire reason people do bring their own alcohol hidden in things like "rum runners". This practice wouldn't be as epidemic as it is if cruise lines would be more reasonable in their alcohol pricing.

There's all sorts of claims that most get caught (they don't), that people hiding it can be thrown off the ship (they're not), that cabin stewards get fired for not reporting alcohol in your cabin (they're not)...and on and on and on.

The vast majority of alcohol hidden in luggage goes undetected.

I know way too many people who have practised this on many cruises, on many different cruise lines (including myself), who have never had to forfeit their alcohol.

In the unlikely event the cruise lines do find alcohol in your luggage or on your person, they confiscate it and set aside to be returned to you when the cruise concludes.[/quote]

So if someone disagrees with a company's policy it's OK to violate it as long as you get away with it? Hey, I don't necessarily agree with RCI's policy about bringing booze on board and I have sailed with them long enough that I remember the days when you could - and we did. But I will respect their policy if I choose to sail with them. Keep in mind, we can sail with - and give our $ to - whomever we want and if there is another line that allows it, then we can choose them. But if I am going to sail with RCI, I will agree to respect their policies.

[quote name='leaveitallbehind']So if someone disagrees with a company's policy it's OK to violate it as long as you get away with it? Hey, I don't necessarily agree with RCI's policy about bringing booze on board and I have sailed with them long enough that I remember the days when you could - and we did. But I will respect their policy if I choose to sail with them. Keep in mind, we can sail with - and give our $ to - whomever we want and if there is another line that allows it, then we can choose them. But if I am going to sail with RCI, I will agree to respect their policies.[/QUOTE]

I don't care what else someone brings on, as long as it doesn't hurt me, my family or my fellow cruisers.

As far as "breaking" RCCL's rules, I view it like driving....no one can go out and drive their car, no matter how carefully, without breaking a rule. Same with cruising. Matter of fact, nothing I do on a cruise is illegal. I don't harm anyone. Matter of fact, I'm really a fun person to travel with.

And, I don't spend money carelessly by waaaayyyyyy overpaying for their alcohol.

[quote name='aurelius180']But it's there. So while it may be small right now, there is a risk that the passenger "[B]may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense[/B]." Just something to keep in mind...[/quote]

One day-it will happen to someone and everyone on CC that says-no problem, they just take it away will change their tone!! Sooner or later they will get sick and tired of some CC members telling newbies how to smuggle, what to smuggle it in and and where to buy it that whaaaam-someone is standing on the dock, posting on CC saying *** they denied boarding!!!:cool:

[quote name='Debde']One day-it will happen to someone and everyone on CC that says-no problem, they just take it away will change their tone!! Sooner or later they will get sick and tired of some CC members telling newbies how to smuggle, what to smuggle it in and and where to buy it that whaaaam-someone is standing on the dock, posting on CC saying *** they denied boarding!!!:cool:[/quote]

I highly doubt it

[quote name='Debde']One day-it will happen to someone and everyone on CC that says-no problem, they just take it away will change their tone!! Sooner or later they will get sick and tired of some CC members telling newbies how to smuggle, what to smuggle it in and and where to buy it that whaaaam-someone is standing on the dock, posting on CC saying *** they denied boarding!!!:cool:[/quote]

[quote name='ryano']I highly doubt it[/quote]

But hilarity would ensue.

[quote name='Tropical-Stud']If you state an opinion, you better back it up. Stating "most people" get caught is unproven and very misleading. It's equivalent to saying the "moon is flat and full of trees" but we all know the real answer.[/quote]

Really?? Just a blog about sneaking booze on a cruise - not a thesis. Sorry if it my comment isn't fact-based enough for you. How about I take out "most" - better? Doubt if it is an equivelant comparison - your comparison implies that no one gets caught or that it would be impossible. Let's be accurate now - fair is fair.

I understand the debates that go on here. Lord knows I've been part of some. It's a learning process, and an outlet for us to talk about cruising.

It does seem however that we should all step back, (myself included) and realize what things really affect us personally as to what others do. Sure there are tons of scenarios and "if's" if you really want to go there, but it's still mostly speculation.

I like formal night and would love to enjoy that evening with others who dress very nicely. But it won't ruin my time if they don't.

Unless someone gets rip roaring drunk and becomes a danger to myself or someone else, I don't care if they smuggle a bottle of wine on board. And since I don't work for Royal and can't answer for why their bottom line is such, I'm not going to speculate as to how that wine could possible damage cruising forever ;).

Care needs to be taken with everything we do, but when we start talking about balcony doors and bringing on a bottle of wine, it seems we've gone to a place where we don't need to be.

If someone is a nuisence for any reason, drunk, smoking, no air because the door is open, or lude during diner, then just call the appropriate members on the ship to take care of it, and be done with it and enjoy our cruises.

RCI has made their policy clear. If you don't like it, there are cruise lines that offer free drinks of various types (mostly wine and beer) -- and, yes, you generally pay for that privilege in terms of higher cruise costs. Or, you can skip the cruise and go to an all-inclusive resort where you can drink to your heart's content.

If you want to drink alcohol on your RCL cruise, I suggest you budget it into the cost of your vacation.

You CAN try to smuggle alcohol on board. It appears that some people are successful and others not. I ask myself: While everyone else is exploring the ship, having fun, etc., do I really want to called down to the "naughty room" and face the embarrassment of violating a stated cruise line policy? All for what is probably less than $100 of drinks? Seriously? But that's me.:rolleyes:

One interesting non-RCL note . . . on our Princess cruise to Australia/NZ last year, we took a ship-sponsored winery tour and openly brought back a bottle of wine. We figured we'd either have it held or we'd have to pay a corkage fee. Neither occurred. They said nothing and gave us a corkscrew. I don't know if it was: (1) different policy of Princess and/or (2) that they wanted to promote their wine tours and thus allowed you to bring aboard an amount reasonable for personal consumption. We enjoyed it in our stateroom on Christmas Eve!:)

[quote name='ggo85']RCI has made their policy clear. If you don't like it, there are cruise lines that offer free drinks of various types (mostly wine and beer) -- and, yes, you generally pay for that privilege in terms of higher cruise costs. Or, you can skip the cruise and go to an all-inclusive resort where you can drink to your heart's content.

If you want to drink alcohol on your RCL cruise, I suggest you budget it into the cost of your vacation.

You CAN try to smuggle alcohol on board. It appears that some people are successful and others not. I ask myself: While everyone else is exploring the ship, having fun, etc., do I really want to called down to the "naughty room" and face the embarrassment of violating a stated cruise line policy? All for what is probably less than $100 of drinks? Seriously? But that's me.:rolleyes:

One interesting non-RCL note . . . on our Princess cruise to Australia/NZ last year, we took a ship-sponsored winery tour and openly brought back a bottle of wine. We figured we'd either have it held or we'd have to pay a corkage fee. Neither occurred. They said nothing and gave us a corkscrew. I don't know if it was: (1) different policy of Princess and/or (2) that they wanted to promote their wine tours and thus allowed you to bring aboard an amount reasonable for personal consumption. We enjoyed it in our stateroom on Christmas Eve!:)[/quote]

I like RCCL but I don't like their alcohol policy. I break that rule and have the exact product I want. I have never been caught and have never been to what you call the "naughty room." I put very little thought into bringing my contraband and even less time packing it. If it was about the money
for me or if I would feel embarrassed in the unlikely event I was called to the NR then I wouldn't do it. Just like you enjoyed the drink of your choice at the exact time you wanted it and in your own cabin, I do to. I am able to do this on the ships I like, owned by a cruise line I like by breaking the alcohol policy of that cruise line.

[SIZE=3]Really, another "Can I bring booze topic"?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Does there really have to be a new one everyday?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Before people start new threads, can't they go back a few pages and look first?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]They is a million "booze smuggling threads" on the Royal Caribbean site alone...[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

[quote name='Bakincakes']RCI doesn't have to throw anyone off if they are caught smuggling.

All they need to do is implement a fine for each bottle found. Make it a nice big fine.

Pax can choose to pay it or disembark.

Easy.:D[/QUOTE]

Talk about a PR nightmare for RCCL. I'm sure CCL and NCL would welcome RCCL's disenfranchised customers with open arms. Actually, their response to this is understandable. Make an example of very few in the hopes it will deter some, but allow most to carry on their own alcohol under the guise of "we didn't catch them". That allows them their windfall alcohol profits while not losing the majority of their customer base.

Monday will be my 10th. How it was calculated in the past, is different from how it is calculated now, as you know. Several of my sailings were on the Sov of the seas--3-4 night sailings.
Believe me, I would love to be diamond, but am currently emerald.

[quote name='leaveitallbehind']Really?? Just a blog about sneaking booze on a cruise - not a thesis. Sorry if it my comment isn't fact-based enough for you. How about I take out "most" - better? Doubt if it is an equivelant comparison - your comparison implies that no one gets caught or that it would be impossible. Let's be accurate now - fair is fair.[/QUOTE]

A thesis is not required. Just common sense. Stating "Most" people get caught is also equivalent to fear mongering and the spread of misinformation. A typical exercise on the CC forum, by so-called "know it all" cruisers.

[quote name='suzyed']Monday will be my 10th. How it was calculated in the past, is different from how it is calculated now, as you know. Several of my sailings were on the Sov of the seas--3-4 night sailings.
Believe me, I would love to be diamond, but am currently emerald.[/quote]

You might want to check your updated total.

When the conversion took place, all previous cruises were automatically converted at seven nights, even if they were only three or 4.

[quote name='ham_bone']every rccl cruise i have been on we packed a bottle of rum for the balcony and never had an issue but now see that we can be refused passage!?! this is absurd and while i understand there are many "good" folks out there, this guy finds a glass of captain w/ a splash of cola on ice while sitting on my balcony is a great part of why i cruise & pay for the balcony. [B]rccl needs to decide if they want to be a premier cruise line or another "disney" experience...[/B][/QUOTE]

Not sure what you mean here. Disney [I]allows [/I]you to bring booze on, so I don't know how RCI [I]not [/I]allowing booze to be brought onboard would make them [I]more [/I]like Disney in regards to this.:confused:

[quote name='caseyree']I'm reading so many mixed posts about bringing alcohol onto the boat.

It is NOT allowed; correct?!

But you all pack it in your checked luggage anyway? hhmm, the temptation...;)[/quote]

OK...I'll change the subject here.......[SIZE=3][U]its a ship not a boat!!![/U][/SIZE] ;)

[quote name='Arizona Cruz Chic']OK...I'll change the subject here.......[SIZE=3][U]its a ship not a boat!!![/U][/SIZE] ;)[/quote]

It's her first cruise, I'm willing to extend a little grace. But these daily, almost hourly threads about alcohol are too much! :D:rolleyes:

[quote name='Langley Cruisers']It's her first cruise, I'm willing to extend a little grace. But these daily, almost hourly threads about alcohol are too much! :D:rolleyes:[/quote]
Maybe you should switch to pillow threads then for a while, there are three of those floating around out there today.:eek::rolleyes::p

Archived