I'm just sayin' ... what if...

Irishbloom

What if a rum runner bag of our favorite wine found its way into one of our bags and successfully made it to our cabin.... To me, part of the enjoyment of wine is drinking it from an elegant glass. If I have to drink the wine from a plastic cup... I'd rather leave it at home. How does one obtain a couple of glasses? Can we each buy a glass of wine at the bar and take it back to our room for use later?

If you're on Princess, you can carry wine onboard. If you're not on Princesss, why not?

But seriously, re the wine glasses, yes, on every line I've ever sailed, you can buy a glass of wine and carry it pretty much anywhere you wish. So you can end up with an entire collection of glasses in your cabin, should you so desire. I'd also say, you could probably just ask at the bar for an empty, but if you're on a line so obsessive that they'd stop you bringing on your own wine, they might balk at giving away glassware. Which brings us back to my original point -- sail Princess!

Sure, you can take your glass away with you and back to your cabin, for your later use. Don't leave it sitting around dirty the next morning, or your steward will probably clear it away when s/he cleans your room. We rinsed them out before bed and stowed them out of sight in a cupboard.

What if a rum runner bag of our favorite wine found its way into one of our bags and successfully made it to our cabin.... To me, part of the enjoyment of wine is drinking it from an elegant glass. If I have to drink the wine from a plastic cup... I'd rather leave it at home. How does one obtain a couple of glasses? Can we each buy a glass of wine at the bar and take it back to our room for use later?

Most ships have glass water glasses in the room. If the shape of the glass is important, the steward can bring wine glasses....or you could order a glass of wine from the bar....and take the glass of wine to your room .....for future refills from your rum runner.

One of the reasons we love Princess above some other lines we have traveled is that we can bring our own wine. Ask the steward to make sure you have wine glasses daily and an ice bucket to keep your wine chilled. (Sometimes the fridge isn't cold enough.) We tip our steward extra for the special service. :)

I see you are sailing on Royal Caribbean. Royal does not allow ANY alcoholic beverages to be brought onboard. I would check in on the Royal board here at CC, and ask about the success rate with Rum runners. EM

Jiust drink it out of the rr. Wine that has been transferred out of the original bottle to a rr sounds disgusting and not worth a glass. Maybe try taking a box wine by carrying only the inner bladder.

Next time don't book RCL and you can carry on some wine. Good luck this time.

Just to add to the list, on NCL you can bring two bottles of wine, but will need to pay a $15/bottle "corkage fee" at embarkation. They'll put a sticker on the bottle so you can bring it to the dining room even, without any question.

You can probably ask your steward for two wine glasses and he'll find them for you. Or, yes, you can order at the bar and sip your wine, keeping the glasses for later use in your stateroom.

Just to add to the list, on NCL you can bring two bottles of wine, but will need to pay a $15/bottle "corkage fee" at embarkation. They'll put a sticker on the bottle so you can bring it to the dining room even, without any question.

You can probably ask your steward for two wine glasses and he'll find them for you. Or, yes, you can order at the bar and sip your wine, keeping the glasses for later use in your stateroom.

Actually you can bring on unlimited bottles of wine as long as you pay the corkage. No limit of two. $15 per 750ml bottle.;)

What if a rum runner bag of our favorite wine found its way into one of our bags and successfully made it to our cabin.... To me, part of the enjoyment of wine is drinking it from an elegant glass. If I have to drink the wine from a plastic cup...

Funniest thread of the day.

Sweating the shape of the glass which you are going to fill from a plastic bag seems to be something of a non-sequitor,
:D:D:D...ditto....and also probably continue to store it in the RR the duration of the cruise.

Sweating the shape of the glass which you are going to fill from a plastic bag seems to be something of a non-sequitor,

I agree. Why ruin the wine by putting it in a rum runner? :confused:

Thank you all for your kindness and suggestions. I'm not a wine enthusiast. I have a notion that it would be quite nice to for us to be able to enjoy a glass of wine in the late afternoon on our balcony each day. It's all about the quality of the moment to me. Trust me, I am completely capable of a top shelf moment no matter what shelf the wine came from. We purchased a wine package and plan to spend plenty of time/money at the bars on the ship. RCL will make a profit on our bar bill.

Some one suggested a decent boxed wine...That is actually the plan but since the container is much like a rum runner, I used "rum rummer" to describe it.

To all of you with good suggestions - thanks so much for your kindness.

Is there any way to remove this thread now?

Archived