Price increase Elite Lounge

jerwick

Curious to know if anyone else has experienced the price increase in the Platinum/Elite lounge? Recent cruise on Island Princess 8-29-12 to 9-12-12

the surprise was the bill now $5 plus gratuity. When I asked about it the reply was "well you know Princess". Perhaps this a ship specific or throughout all ships.

Curious to know if anyone else has experienced the price increase in the Platinum/Elite lounge? Recent cruise on Island Princess 8-29-12 to 9-12-12

the surprise was the bill now $5 plus gratuity. When I asked about it the reply was "well you know Princess". Perhaps this a ship specific or throughout all ships.

Got off Caribbean P. last week, $3.99.

Sounds like Island has their own price structure. However, if all ships are doing that we will soon hear about it.

Sorry to sound stupid, but what exactly are you paying for here? (I have just become Platinum so not familiar with the lounge)

The drink of the day that was $2.99, and was raised to $3.99 about a year ago. Two hours of nibblies too and usually held in Skywalkers on ships that have one. Otherwise in different venues like One5, Explorers, etc.

Ok, thanks. Yes, I knew about the evening thing. I just didn't realise the OP was talking about the drink price! This is a 'drink of the day' I suppose?

It's the "drink of the day" in the Lounge and is not necessarily the "drink of the day" that is posted in the Patter.... On our last cruise in June on the Golden Princess, the price was $3.99.

Ok, thanks. Yes, I knew about the evening thing. I just didn't realise the OP was talking about the drink price! This is a 'drink of the day' I suppose?

The drink of the day for the lounge only, not the drink of the day which is sometimes advertised ship wide.

The drink of the day for the lounge only, not the drink of the day which is sometimes advertised ship wide.

And the advertised ship-wide drink of the day is sold at the regular price. It has been a couple of years since it was at a reduced price.

They charge more for those that can afford it most. Kind of like politics:D

It was $5 on the Star in June and $5 on the Emerald a few months ago. :mad:

I thought there was a big disconnect between Corporate-fleet, now I see how screwed up it is from ship to ship with all the different rules enforced differently on each ship. Such a shame. :rolleyes:

I was iffy with it when it was $2.99. I thought they were ridiculous when they raised it to $3.99. Now at $5.00, watch for the whole lounge option to disappear entirely.

The thing is, that at $2.99, I bought the DOD nearly every night (except for one or two that I truly can't stand). At $3.99 I bought the DOD on margarita, mojito and breeza marina nights. At $5.00 I will probably buy it only on breeza marina night.

So, on a 10-night cruise, Princess went from getting $24 from me to getting $5, and we all know the variable cost of a drink is fairly minimal. What is their gain?

We truly love the ambiance of the Elite lounge, particularly when sailing from a port and sunset also coincide. Most of the appetizers I can do without, but I love me some stilton and herbed goat cheese. But I really enjoy the views and the conversations with new friends, especially as have a table for two at dinner. If they do away with this all together, I'll miss it, but it was best when the drinks were $2.99 and the place was packed.

The thing is, that at $2.99, I bought the DOD nearly every night (except for one or two that I truly can't stand). At $3.99 I bought the DOD on margarita, mojito and breeza marina nights. At $5.00 I will probably buy it only on breeza marina night.

So, on a 10-night cruise, Princess went from getting $24 from me to getting $5, and we all know the variable cost of a drink is fairly minimal. What is their gain?

We truly love the ambiance of the Elite lounge, particularly when sailing from a port and sunset also coincide. Most of the appetizers I can do without, but I love me some stilton and herbed goat cheese. But I really enjoy the views and the conversations with new friends, especially as have a table for two at dinner. If they do away with this all together, I'll miss it, but it was best when the drinks were $2.99 and the place was packed.

Totally agree with you, when they were $2.99 I was there every night and we all had 2 or 3 drinks each. When they went to $3.99 we just had the margaritas and the port and sometimes the mojitos. And two each maximum per night. Then they changed the Port to a cheap ruby instead of the Sandemans 20 year old. So that was the end of the port for us. We can buy cheap ruby port for $8 a bottle at home in the unlikely event we would drink it.

So now its just one or two margaritas on that night only.

If it goes to $5 a pop on any ship we are on we will not ever buy one.

Most Princess ships currently have a $3.99 drink after 8pm, or 5 to 7pm depending on the ship.Available to any passenger in most of the bars, so its not much of a deal to Platinum/Elite passengers anyway.

Does not make economic sense for Princess and as a stockholder I don't like that.

Most Princess ships currently have a $3.99 drink after 8pm, or 5 to 7pm depending on the ship.Available to any passenger in most of the bars, so its not much of a deal to Platinum/Elite passengers anyway.

They used to, but that seems to have gone the way that suite Internet did.

I am trying to remember what ship it was on that the price was $4.99 and we were also disappointed, getting a little to high for us too. Then the next ship we were on it was back to $3.99 (different ship from the earlier cruise). Well I am now curious to see how much it will be on the Star this month.

I like the lounge, especially Cosmo and port, oh and margarita night but I am just as happy to miss it too and watch sailaway from outside or enjoy a nap before dinner!

Vickie

They used to, but that seems to have gone the way that suite Internet did.

They did it on Ocean P. in July, and on Caribbean P. last week when we were on so I think its still ongoing.

It was quite popular on Caribbean Princess, but on Ocean the barstaff hid the promotional material and denied they had $3.99 specials after 8pm until I collared the bar manager about it.

Why they would do that was anybody's guess. Maybe they think they don't get enough gratuity on the cheap drinks?

Archived