RedmondCruiser

AIDA Cruises

AIDAstella(2,192 - Early 2013) Meyer Werft

Unnamed ship (3,250 - March 2015) Mitsubishi Heavy Industries

Unnamed ship (3,250 - March 2016) Mitsubishi Heavy Industries

Costa Crociere

New class ship (3,700 / 4,928 - October 2014 ) Fincantieri's Marghera shipyard

P&O Cruises

Unnamed two funnels ship (3,611 - March 2015) Fincantieri (The order includes an option for a second ship)

Princess Cruises

Royal Princess (3600 - Spring 2013) - Fincantieri

Regal Princess (Royal Princess' class ship) (3600 - Spring 2014) - Fincantieri

Thank you for this information.

All I know is that we have heard two captains state that the next new HAL ship will be the size of (or a bit larger) the Nieuw Amsterdam.

There are no small ships on the horizon.

Flame away, but I did not find the service or ambience on the Nieuw Amsterdam that I equate with HAL. It was ok, but the second last ship in the fleet I will sail again. (I think we can all guess what the last ship is I would sail).

IMO - and it's just me - I think HAL would be smarter to build another smaller ship - charge a premium, give the service and people would pay.

But what the heck - what do I know:confused:

The ships we have been on the last couple of years -- the captains never talk about the future of HAL and if any ships are being built for HAL.

Sadly, the S class ships have been losing money.

So I don't think building more ships that size and charging a premium price will help HAL. The younger generation doesn't have the time to take long cruises or the money to pay for long cruises.

The youger generation prefers the shorter itineraries and bigger ships.

The Vista and Signature class ships are making money.

I was told a long time ago -- "Get them on the ship, get their money and get them off the ship".

There's no law that says that HAL has to replace the current ships when they eventually leave the fleet. They could down-size from the current 15. It may not be a realisitic plan, but an argument could be made that it will be easier to fill fewer ships, and the price for the cabins could be kept higher that way.

I am of the belief that the supply has outdistanced the demand by far too much, and that is one of the many reasons HAL is practically giving away cabins for quite a while now.

You got that right Ruth.

All we have seen here is people talking about flash sales to see the ships being filled.

On our Alaskan Amsterdam cruise, it was not completely sold out.

And on other sites I have read where people are reporting that some of the European cruises are not sold out -- one report had one Nieuw Amsterdam cruise listed as having 200 empty cabins - not good.

You got that right Ruth.

All we have seen here is people talking about flash sales to see the ships being filled.

On our Alaskan Amsterdam cruise, it was not completely sold out.

And on other sites I have read where people are reporting that some of the European cruises are not sold out -- one report had one Nieuw Amsterdam cruise listed as having 200 empty cabins - not good.

most cruislines are offering heavy discounts. i would expect some of those far-off new-builds to be cancelled. I know RCI recently cancelled an order for one of their new mega-ships.

At the risk of appearing ignorant, what has been the problem with the Fincantieri ships?

There has been/is no problem with Fincantieri or their ships! There's a reason they are one of Europe's largest shipbuilders. They have built over 50 cruise ships since 1990 for several different lines and put out a quality product

Keel laid in which ship yard? Fincantieri?

A Senior HAL officer informed us the keel is laid at Fincantieri. Whether or not it ever gets built, remains to be seen.

If HAL does not use it, another one of the Carnival lines can take possession of it.

The keel is reported to be the approximate size of a Signature.

At the risk of appearing ignorant, what has been the problem with the Fincantieri ships?

Up until I started to try other cruise lines I personally did not think there would be a difference in the physical ship themselves but think of it in this way a Yugo to a Mercedes in workmanship and attention to detail. ( I know Yugo's don't exist any more but I did not want to offend any of the other lower priced car manufacturers :D )

After taking a hard look at other ships and comparing to ships built at Fincantieri this is just my opinion but have found others agree with me that they are not considered to be on the high end. Many can agree that have been on the Inaugural sailings.

I love the Officer and Crew of HAL, I love the HAL product and decor, the physical ships.... Not so much. We started to really notice the difference especially in the ride on ships like the NCL Pearl the ship is close to the same size but there is a huge difference. Basically HAL has the noisest ships with the most rattling and creeking than any other ships out there. It all comes down to the builder. But again this is just my opinion, it has not stopped me from sailing HAL but in the long run it would certainly save HAL money if a new ship was built some where else.

most cruislines are offering heavy discounts. i would expect some of those far-off new-builds to be cancelled. I know RCI recently cancelled an order for one of their new mega-ships.

All the cruise lines are hurting.

We were just talking to our TA (in Monroeville) and she said that all the cruise lines are taking a big hit in Europe this year. They have discounted all the itineraries but people still are filling up the ships. Americans just can't can't afford the high air fares -- most are 3 times or more than what people are paying for the cruises.

So if the cruise lines aren't making money, they have to stop building ships which they can no longer afford.

<snip>We started to really notice the difference especially in the ride on ships like the NCL Pearl the ship is close to the same size but there is a huge difference. Basically HAL has the noisest ships with the most rattling and creeking than any other ships out there. It all comes down to the builder. But again this is just my opinion, it has not stopped me from sailing HAL but in the long run it would certainly save HAL money if a new ship was built some where else.

I agree with you and I've also noticed others (friends) mentioning the difference in ride.

When we look or consider smaller ships with higher per diems HAL no longer comes into the picture for us. The only options that we really consider are Oceania or Azamara.

We have found that HAL is not especially competitive here. Their prices might be slightly lower but for our tastes we believe that their comparative value is lower by a larger margin than the price delta.

It could be what happens when you are a mass market line with many ships, many berths, and trying to be everything to everyone.

Up until I started to try other cruise lines I personally did not think there would be a difference in the physical ship themselves but think of it in this way a Yugo to a Mercedes in workmanship and attention to detail. ( I know Yugo's don't exist any more but I did not want to offend any of the other lower priced car manufacturers :D )

After taking a hard look at other ships and comparing to ships built at Fincantieri this is just my opinion but have found others agree with me that they are not considered to be on the high end. Many can agree that have been on the Inaugural sailings.

I love the Officer and Crew of HAL, I love the HAL product and decor, the physical ships.... Not so much. We started to really notice the difference especially in the ride on ships like the NCL Pearl the ship is close to the same size but there is a huge difference. Basically HAL has the noisest ships with the most rattling and creeking than any other ships out there. It all comes down to the builder. But again this is just my opinion, it has not stopped me from sailing HAL but in the long run it would certainly save HAL money if a new ship was built some where else.

Really,,, Really! Sorry, but I think your observation is so off base. Have you read any of the reviews of the Epic? I read a lot of complaints about vibration and noise from many different people. I also read an interesting thread about the Epic not having sufficent power to get off a windy dock when Carnival and RCI left without issue.

I guess in fairness... I am not an engineer, but it seems to me that the largest and most succesful cruise line (CCL) in the world would have ships equal or better than NCL.

Lisa, please don't take this the wrong way. I usually agreee with most of your postings, but I have respectfuly disagree with you on this one.

I think HAL is comfortable with their current niche of being a medium and small ship line. The S line ships are getting close to 20 years old but have all had major Signature Class refittings.

Since the Industry trend is too "go large or go home" I could see the next line of Hall ships come in at over 100,000 tons 2k+ pax and still be advertised as "medium" ships.

FYI I've notice that all the HAL ships have 105ft beams, I'm assuming that is by design.

Oh I love Eurodam and Vista sisters. I just am ready for a new hull style. Seeing Cunard's ships look like a HAL ship look like a Carnival ship gets old IMO.

But I understand they save millions and millions by repeating the "foundation". :)

I'd bet money the ships will be larger, just for profit margin purposes.

Eurodam is not a Vista Class ship. Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam are Signature Class ships and I prefer them to the three vista ships I have been on. (I have yet to sail the Noordam--but I will) I could see them adding a deck or two on a new build. Perhaps a lower Veranda and a lower Rotterdam deck and make it a bit taller than the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam. I would also think they might have to make the main DR on three decks rather than two decks. Maybe HAL should contact me for help in planning the new ship!

Himself

Archived