assualt on Vision

Bloemerl

My DH and I have spoken to the injured man many times but to hear this Sunday night when we saw him being taken to the dispensary, when I mentioned to him we were concerned about him as we have not seen him or Freedom. This is when I was told what happened. I was so upset to think someone could attack someone who did not have the chance to hold his own. Freedom was only doing what God and man trained him to do, so what right does a mental midget have in assaulting Freedom's owner-this gentlemen needed Freedom to continue with his life. (It's a good thing the culprit was not identified aboard ship that we know of, I think justice would have been served very swiftly and efficiently by friends of Freedom). We are hoping this gentlemen has a quick recovery.

It was a great ten days on the Vision Dec 14-24. However, the Christmas spirit did not abound. My heart goes out to our new found friend and his service dog Freedom. He was viciously assaulted late at nite while getting a pizza in the Solarium. He was beaten because a man could not respect service dogs and felt Freedom should not be on board.

We were able to say goodby to our friend and Freedom as they were being transferred to an ambulance in port to go to the hospital in FLL to check for internal injuries. He has suspected broken ribs and possible internal injuries from repeated kicks to his side and back after he was knocked down in the initial attack

It is to RCL's credit that the perpetrator of this shameless attack was removed from the ship with his family in Dominica.

So, a passenger was attacked resulting in great bodily harm and you think RCL's act of simply removing this animal from the ship was a credit to the Corporation? What I'm I missing here?

Wow, that is really sad. :eek: I hate to think anyone would be so vicious when traveling so as to beat up someone just because they have a service dog. If someone has a problem with a disabled person, the answer is not beating them up. Ever. You have to be a pretty poor human being to beat up a disabled person.

The attacker has a mental condition of his own to deal with.

Thankfully he only had his hands as weapons due to RCIs security restrictions and inspections. Sadly, there have been many examples of what unhappy people can do.

As Dave85 stated, some time in a Dominaca jail cell would do him some good. I've been there, Dominaca that is, so I could only picture what the jail looks like.

Andrew

The attacker has a mental condition of his own to deal with.

Andrew

So you know more about the attacker, do share, or are you implying he has a conscious and not just a thug?

Does anyone know what nationality the victim was and/or the thug who did this?

Security Guide

The Cruise Vessel Security and Safety Act requires cruise lines which operate in United States waters to make a Security Guide available to guests. This Security Guide is provided pursuant to that United States law.

The safety and security of our guests and crew is our highest priority. Allegations of crime, missing person reports and medical emergencies are taken seriously and we are committed to responding in an effective and caring manner for those involved. Each of our ships is staffed with dedicated security and medical teams to respond to alleged crimes and medical situations, respectively. They are onboard, on duty and available at all times.

Should you become aware of someone being injured or of unsafe or possibly illegal behavior during your cruise vacation, it is very important that you immediately report this to the ship's management. This may be done by calling the ship's emergency telephone number listed in the directory of services in your stateroom; or by calling or going to the Guest Services / Guest Relations Desk. If you do not immediately report an injury or unsafe/illegal behavior this delay may cause ship's personnel to be unable to effectively respond to the situation and unable to properly preserve information or evidence that could assist law enforcement's investigation and prosecution of those responsible.

As a company, we report crime allegations to law enforcement so they can investigate and prosecute to the fullest extent of the law, regardless of where in the world the ship is located at the time of the incident. Crime allegations are reported to law enforcement officials in the next port of call, as well as to the nation where our ships are flagged. We also report allegations of crime to the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and United States Coast Guard (USCG), in compliance with United States laws.

According to United States federal law, on international voyages that embark or debark in the United States, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. (and other cruise lines) is required to report onboard felonies and missing United States nationals to federal agencies. For a missing United States national and all serious felonies (homicide, suspicious death, kidnapping, assault with serious bodily injury, sexual assaults as defined by federal laws, firing or tampering with the vessel, or theft of money or property in excess of $10,000) the incident must be reported to the FBI by telephone as soon as possible, to the United States Department of Homeland Security electronically and to the USCG in writing. These requirements apply to onboard incidents that occur while the ship is in United States territorial waters, or on the high seas or in foreign waters if the victim or perpetrator is a United States national. The FBI can assert criminal jurisdiction in all of these circumstances. Each of the nations visited, as well as the vessel's nation of registry, may also assert jurisdiction and impose additional reporting requirements.

United States law also requires us to provide you the following information. For cruises embarking or debarking in the United States, you may independently contact the FBI or USCG for incidents arising any time during the voyage. For incidents within state or foreign waters or ports you may, in addition, contact local law enforcement authorities. Contact information for these entities along with contact information for a third party victim advocacy group and the locations of United States Embassies and Consulates for the ports we plan to visit during United States oriented voyages is being made available to you. If you need assistance in locating this information or if you find this information has changed since publication or is incorrect, please contact Guest Services / Guest Relations immediately.

Security Guide contact list

[/color]

So, a passenger was attacked resulting in great bodily harm and you think RCL's act of simply removing this animal from the ship was a credit to the Corporation? What I'm I missing here?

I don't believe it was the dog that was removed due to this attack, I thought I read the attacker was removed.

Whoops! You were calling the attacker an ANIMAL - sorry - I didn't get it at first.

Wondering if when he was removed if he was just put off or if he was released to authorities?

Security Guide

According to United States federal law, on international voyages that embark or debark in the United States, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. (and other cruise lines) is required to report onboard felonies and missing United States nationals to federal agencies.

Yes, you can never assume that cruiselines do nothing. I can only imagine that if this was an American citizen, when he tried(s) to reenter the US he may find a new set of bracelets attached to his arms.

There were several service dogs on our last 2 cruises and they did not bother anyone. They are very well trained and it is a blessing that people can continue to do things with the help of these amazing animals.

The person who did attack should be banned from all cruises that RCL and Celebrity sail. The best would be if his name is also sent to the Carnival group as a heads up. Hope he learned his lesson and it was a very expensive one. Hopefully his family(DW) will have something to say to him.

He should also be sued for all costs including medical and the cost of the cruise itself.

Just out of curiosity... from a legal standpoint, what would you expect Carnival to do with the information? Don't get me wrong, while I'm sure there is more to the story, I certainly think the guy should be punished, based on what's been reported. But does Carnival have a legal right to bar him from their cruises based on "Royal Caribbean told us you....." I doubt it.

Just out of curiosity... from a legal standpoint, what would you expect Carnival to do with the information? Don't get me wrong, while I'm sure there is more to the story, I certainly think the guy should be punished, based on what's been reported. But does Carnival have a legal right to bar him from their cruises based on "Royal Caribbean told us you....." I doubt it.

A private company can ban you from their property for any reason or no reason at all.

I don't understand why the attacker was not arrested and held on the ship until the cruise line could hand him over to US authorities.

...they have the whole incident on tape I'm sure and much like an arguement between a husband and wife we don't know what all the facts are at this time........let's wait until the Columbos get all the facts.......

Being a creep is not a protected class. Yep, they can.

Like some others here, I don't understand why the perpetrator wasn't placed under guard or the brig and turned over to authorities in Fort Lauderdale when Vision returns.

The only thing I can imagine is that the person who committed the assault is a national of a country other than the US. As the crime was committed on high seas, the US wouldn't have jurisdiction, so the best thing to do was off load the perpetrator in the next port.

Perhaps the victim can pursue charges against his attacker once the victim is home, but it might be tough to do if the attacker lives in another country.

I have to wonder if the attacker was drunk or impaired in some way. I can't imagine a scenario in which someone would just run amok and assault a stranger because they didn't like the dog or whatever.

I have to wonder if the attacker was drunk or impaired in some way. I can't imagine a scenario in which someone would just run amok and assault a stranger because they didn't like the dog or whatever.

Being drunk is no excuse. Sadly, there have been far too many occurrences where I don't understand why someone would do the things they do to injure or harm other people. :(

Oh now I am confused, did the man initially attack the dog and as a result he was attacked & injured or Freedoms owner was attacked?

Freedom's owner was the one that was attacked.

Like some others here, I don't understand why the perpetrator wasn't placed under guard or the brig and turned over to authorities in Fort Lauderdale when Vision returns.......

Hi , perhaps the incident happened when the ship was in the middle of the cruise and it got reported to the authorities in the next port of call.

"As a company, we report crime allegations to law enforcement so they can investigate and prosecute to the fullest extent of the law, regardless of where in the world the ship is located at the time of the incident. Crime allegations are reported to law enforcement officials in the next port of call, as well as to the nation where our ships are flagged. We also report allegations of crime to the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and United States Coast Guard (USCG), in compliance with United States laws."

I was on this cruise as well, and we saw the fellow that got beaten up in the VCL each night. He seemed like a nice guy, we spoke to him a few times. The dog simply could not have been better behaved. It sat next to him, never moving or making a sound.

I heard rumors about the attack, and I saw him once after it. He looked pretty bad off. Another guy had to help him to his seat in the Diamond Lounge, I don't think the dog was with him then.

It's really a shame that some people can't handle themselves in public. Other than this incident and the unfortunate death, it was an outstanding cruise.

Archived