avoid being left behind

This didn't happen to me-- but i did witness this.

Ship is leaving port-- was about 20 feet off the pier---- woman running down the pier starts screeming--- "you better take care of my kids".

Never thought i would see this-- ship stops-- moves back to pier and lets the woman on-- honest to god saw it with my own eyes.

This didn't happen to me-- but i did witness this.

Ship is leaving port-- was about 20 feet off the pier---- woman running down the pier starts screeming--- "you better take care of my kids".

Never thought i would see this-- ship stops-- moves back to pier and lets the woman on-- honest to god saw it with my own eyes.

Captain must have in been in an exceptionally good mood. That or the phrase she yelled really caught someone's attention. Can you picture the liability??

I don't know the whole situation, but, my golly, if your kids were on board without you, wouldn't you make every, and I do mean EVERY effort to be back on the ship in plenty of time before it is scheduled to leave?

do i have to answer that????

If you hadn't seen it, I wouldn't believe it:eek: I don't cruise on Royal with my kids, ( till now when they are teens) but can you leave the kids in the kids program on port days? I didn't think so, but again, don't have much experience, and the few times I did cruise with the kids when they were little, they always did excursions with us. Come to think about it, even as teens they went on excursions with us;)

This reminds me of one of the times I have been in Nassau, I think it was on the Sovereign. As the time came to sail away the Captain announced that we were waiting for two more passengers, a husband and wife. We had to wait because they were still ashore but their son was on board. I guess they didn't want a cruise orphan on their hands nor could they put the boy ashore by himself. I assume the child was in Adventure Ocean and not left by himself, or so I hope.

I first read this as "avoid being left handed" and wanted to know what the problem with being left-handed was. ;)

I watched 2 Smithsonian Channel programs this weekend on the Epic and the Oasis. Can't remember which show, but at 2 of the 3 ports there were 2-3 people who hadn't checked in. First one was just that the cards hadn't scanned, but the second was a family who hadn't made the ferry back from Tulum. The captain made the decision to hold the ship as long as they could and the family just barely made it back. The mom gave a flippant "Sorry" as she was getting on. I would have been in tears repeating "I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry".

I first read this as "avoid being left handed" and wanted to know what the problem with being left-handed was. ;)

LOL. I misread stuff all the time. I was quickly looking over the front page of the newspaper and couldn't figure out what was going on with all the Librarians. I finially realized it was Liberians.

On our last cruise, a Celebrity ship was pulling away while someone was running up the dock. She didn't know what to do, and asked at the checkin for our RCCL ship. They radioed up to the RCCL bridge, who called the Celebrity bridge. Lucky for them, they said that the pilot ship would come back and take them to the ship, since it was right there.

The RCCL check-in people said they were very lucky.

A lot of people on our cruise saw this happen, but wouldn't you know, at our next stop, someone missed our ship.

So the lesson... Don't cut it so close!!!

I don't know the whole situation, but, my golly, if your kids were on board without you, wouldn't you make every, and I do mean EVERY effort to be back on the ship in plenty of time before it is scheduled to leave?

Sadly--we talked to other passengers on Disney a few times who figured if their kids were left on board it was a way to "guarantee" that the ship would not leave without them if their cutting it close caused them to be late getting back.

Any time we left our kids on board we were either back on board, or within a 5 minute walk of the ship by two hours out--to be on the safe side. 90% of the time when we left them on board we only went walking n town so that the odds of a delay were nearly nil anyway.

Ha Ha!! very likely. Who would leave their kids onboard? I guess some do this--but, what a chance they are taking.

We left ours on board on DCL often (mostly my son--he loved their programming and was not too keen on excursions when he was little) and let them hang out on the ships fairly often now, on their own, as teens. I figure worst case scenarios are:

1. Something happens to my child on the ship. He or she has emergency medical care readily available on the ship. When the kids were younger, the programming always had our cell numbers if we left the ship without the kids and now that they are older the kids have their cells with our numbers in them, plus the line has our numbers.

So, we would be contacted right away and the kids would probably be receiving care faster than we could find it in port if a similar problem occurred there.

2. One or both of us is taken suddenly extremely ill or hit by a car or some other major medical emergency on land. At which point, my kids are probably safer on the ship than n a foreign port with incapacitated parents. Hopefully authorities will see our ship cards and communicate with the ship, calls will be made to the emergency contact people we listed on our reservations, and plans will be made to take care of the kids.

3. HIGHLY unlikely that someone, even with lots of planning and allowing tons of time for back up plans we are somehow unable to get back to the ship. Not only are the trains back from Monaco not running but no taxi or private boat can be hired to get me to Villefranche. I would call the ship's agent and explain. Now that the kids are teens think it is highly likely they would be allowed to just do their normal thing, having spoken to us to know all was well--and we would catch up at the next port. When DS was smaller--I trust that in a true emergency like that someone would have cared for him in the clubs or elsewhere and we probably would have had to pay for that. OR, we nearly always had friends sailing on the same ship back then and probably could have arranged for him to be released to one of them until we caught up to the ship.

We witnessed two guys come running down the pier after the ship was already pulling away. One guy gave up and fell to his knees and started pounding the pier. The other guy went over to a small boat next to the pier.

After a few seconds of gesturing I guess the boat owner was convinced to help. The two guys jumped into his boat and long story short our ship stopped to let them get on.

Archived