Alternative to formal night

Going on RCL-FOS. Not sure if we want to "do" formal night. What are the alternatives? Is there only the Windjammer and the pay dining rooms?

Yes, unless you have a full suite.......then you can dine in your cabin.

I must say that the WJ has excellent food on formal nights, except for the steak and lobster.

Some of us still like to dress to the code of formal night, while others seem to be showing up in slacks and a dress shirt, no tie, and enjoy themselves.

The Maitre'd will not throw you out unless you are wearing shorts, or maybe a t shirt. And the t shirt is a maybe, because we had a woman (no lady) wear one to the captains table one formal night.

You are not on Cunard, dining either in the Queens Grill or the Princess Grill, where the customs of old remain the same today.

Rick

Going on RCL-FOS. Not sure if we want to "do" formal night. What are the alternatives? Is there only the Windjammer and the pay dining rooms?

I opted out of formal night on my first cruise by eating in Johnny Rockets. On my second cruise, I was able to place a "to-go" order in the main dining room. I stopped by to ask the head waiter if it was a possibility and he said yes, took my order, and a few minutes later I had my entree and escargots! My friend and I took our food back to our cabin.

I opted out of formal night on my first cruise by eating in Johnny Rockets. On my second cruise, I was able to place a "to-go" order in the main dining room. I stopped by to ask the head waiter if it was a possibility and he said yes, took my order, and a few minutes later I had my entree and escargots! My friend and I took our food back to our cabin.

Ah, I believe that you are teaching an old pro, a new trick.

Unless you were in a suite.....and then I understand it, are you saying that you ordered a meal to go, from the MDR, and came by to pick it up???

This could start a whole new form of in cabin dining!!;)

Rick

The Freedom of the Seas has the main dining rooms, the windjammer buffet, Sorrento's pizza, Café Promenade, Johnny Rocket's 50's diner, Chops steakhouse and Portofino Italian restaurant. You can make a darn good meal out of room service even if you CAN'T order off the MDR menu.

I know some people who could make a meal out of the Cupcake Cupboard. ;)

Ah, I believe that you are teaching an old pro, a new trick.

Unless you were in a suite.....and then I understand it, are you saying that you ordered a meal to go, from the MDR, and came by to pick it up???

This could start a whole new form of in cabin dining!!;)

Rick

On a whim my friend and I physically stopped by the MDR and asked the host if it was possible to grab food to go. My friend and I had just gone to a show and were on our way elsewhere and didn't want to sit through a formal dinner service. We were dressed up in formal clothes and admittedly, I just wanted escargot and to get into something comfy ASAP! The host said that was fine, we told him what we wanted, waited outside to MDR and had our food delivered to us on room service trays at the host stand a few minutes later. We took our trays back to the room to change and I ate my escargot there! :)

On a whim my friend and I physically stopped by the MDR and asked the host if it was possible to grab food to go. My friend and I had just gone to a show and were on our way elsewhere and didn't want to sit through a formal dinner service. We were dressed up in formal clothes and admittedly, I just wanted escargot and to get into something comfy ASAP! The host said that was fine, we told him what we wanted, waited outside to MDR and had our food delivered to us on room service trays at the host stand a few minutes later. We took our trays back to the room to change and I ate my escargot there! :)

Oh and we were not in a suite just an inside cabin. We did have My Time Dining too. We approached the host and asked if the was permissible vs asking to be seated. I was pleasantly surprised!

If you dont want to get dressed up then dont go to the main dining room on formal night. My opinion is that it ruins it for people who put in the effort. Also, my opinion again, is that you are going on a cruise ship to have a good time with a large group of other people so get dressed up. If you couldn't be bothered then stay off the ship and make good use of your nearest McDonalds drive-through.

If you dont want to get dressed up then dont go to the main dining room on formal night. My opinion is that it ruins it for people who put in the effort. Also, my opinion again, is that you are going on a cruise ship to have a good time with a large group of other people so get dressed up. If you couldn't be bothered then stay off the ship and make good use of your nearest McDonalds drive-through.

Interesting.....

:rolleyes:

Wow. What a horrible thing to say. Do you feel better about yourself now? Pretty sure they would get more respect from a McDonalds than you just showed them.

We took a Med cruise last year and did not take any formal clothing or attend FN at all. We took all our meals in the Windjammer and it was fantastic!

Whatever the cruise line, wherever the destination, we take all of our meals in the very pleasant atmosphere of the "Windjammer."

We have met some wonderful people there.

We find the MDR overcrowded, noisey, slow, and stuffy.

Clothing has nothing to do with our choice.

We're doing the IOS 8 day Eastern in March and we're skipping formal nights in the dining room and doing Chops one night and Portofinos the next. You can also consider going smart casual and heading to the dining room. There are plenty of people who don't dress up on Formal night.

I agree with all the posts about "less than formal" Formal Night. We do the whole shebang as we like to dress for dinner. I think that a coat and tie is appropriate. If you choose to simply show up casual, think of alternative dining. However every cruise has the "casual" look of some people on Formal Night. Worst example (on Carnival) was the family...yes FAMILY... of mother, father and child, who showed up in the MDR on Formal Night in camouflage! Ok... somethings should not be tolerated....EVER!

Another cruise, our tablemate left his luggage in the car (long story). All he had was jeans. He was going to skip Formal night. We all agreed that was not really his fault so he came. Fully supported by all of us.

Just did New Years on Freedom. EVERYONE dressed for both Formal Nights (especially New Years Ever). It was terrific. Really added to the atmosphere.

Personally my dh and I dress for formal nights he in his tux and I in a gown.... But however we don't let how anyone else dresses affect how our cruise is personally if you choose to dress casually on formal night that affects your cruise I am there to enjoy my time with my family and if my teens decide to dress in less than their tuxes that evening I would still enjoy dinner with them....

We took a Med cruise last year and did not take any formal clothing or attend FN at all. We took all our meals in the Windjammer and it was fantastic!

This is why I think MDRs of the future are going to turn into buffets. Passengers who desire personal service meals with a waiting staff will pay extra for that experience in a specialty restaurant. It seems the expectations of meals on a cruise for the general cruisier today is changing to just satisfying hunger pains.

Burt

FYI participation in formal night on RCI (including dining in the main dining room) is OPTIONAL, not mandatory. While many do participate in the suggested dress, many opt to not dress formally. If you want everybody dressed up, then sail on a cruise line with a mandatory dress code rather than a dress suggestion. Not sure I grasp your comment about McDonalds. Plenty of Michelin starred venues do not require formal attire (most actually) and the MDR on a mass market cruise line is nowhere near in that category.

[/color]

Whatever the cruise line, wherever the destination, we take all of our meals in the very pleasant atmosphere of the "Windjammer."

We have met some wonderful people there.

We find the MDR overcrowded, noisey, slow, and stuffy.

Clothing has nothing to do with our choice.

We have often opted for the Windjammer for dinner. The food is, for the most part, the same as what is being served in the MDR but the beauty is that you can choose to eat any combination of what looks appealing and in the quantities that suit you. For example, we are big vegetable eaters and it seems that vegetables are more of a garnish in the MDR meals, so we load up on our veges. The atmosphere up there at dinner time is much more relaxed and less crowded than at breakfast or lunch and the lights are turned down. If I'm remembering correctly there has also been a sushi selection up there at dinnertime if you're a fan. Its also a good way to grab seconds of something that you loved in the MDR without feeling like a "pig" in front of your tablemates ;),

I agree with all the posts about "less than formal" Formal Night. We do the whole shebang as we like to dress for dinner. I think that a coat and tie is appropriate. If you choose to simply show up casual, think of alternative dining. However every cruise has the "casual" look of some people on Formal Night. Worst example (on Carnival) was the family...yes FAMILY... of mother, father and child, who showed up in the MDR on Formal Night in camouflage! Ok... somethings should not be tolerated....EVER!

Another cruise, our tablemate left his luggage in the car (long story). All he had was jeans. He was going to skip Formal night. We all agreed that was not really his fault so he came. Fully supported by all of us.

Just did New Years on Freedom. EVERYONE dressed for both Formal Nights (especially New Years Ever). It was terrific. Really added to the atmosphere.

Wow, so this was ok as long as you approved it???? Really, what if other people has situations out of their control and showed up in casual wear on Formal night? Would you sit there and snicker and hiss? You have no idea of that persons circumstances, either. It may have been by choice or not.

I really don't care how people choose to dress on formal night. I would have to be so bored on my cruise to take the time to hiss and snicker at the way people are dressed around me.

And why do people think MDR is such posh place?? It's noisey and crowded. A large banquet hall. Maybe we get out quite a bit to very special places, so I don't get why people feel like the MDR is this high end place.:confused

Archived