Alcohol now being destroyed

antsp

I just sent an email to Princess because I would like some clarification about the Wine Policy Enforcement:

I have a question about the enforcement of the Wine Policy:

I usually bring on 2 magnums of wine in my carry-on, which would be equal to 4-750ml bottles of wine. Will they discard/destroy them because they are not in 750ml bottles or just charge me 2 corkage fees per bottle? Are boxes of wine allowed if the equivalent number of corkage fees is charged per 750mls (ie, 3Liter box = 4/$15 corkage fees)?

As we are boarding our cruise in just 3 weeks your prompt reply will be greatly appreciated.

I don't mind complying with the rules, but I don't understand why the size of the bottle or box makes a difference. Just charge me the equivalent in corkage fees. Has anyone asked about this on Princess's Facebook site, I can't seem to find it.:confused:

I just sent an email to Princess because I would like some clarification about the Wine Policy Enforcement:

I have a question about the enforcement of the Wine Policy:

I usually bring on 2 magnums of wine in my carry-on, which would be equal to 4-750ml bottles of wine. Will they discard/destroy them because they are not in 750ml bottles or just charge me 2 corkage fees per bottle? Are boxes of wine allowed if the equivalent number of corkage fees is charged per 750mls (ie, 3Liter box = 4/$15 corkage fees)?

As we are boarding our cruise in just 3 weeks your prompt reply will be greatly appreciated.

I don't mind complying with the rules, but I don't understand why the size of the bottle or box makes a difference. Just charge me the equivalent in corkage fees. Has anyone asked about this on Princess's Facebook site, I can't seem to find it.:confused:

Black Box, a good boxed wine brand, can be purchased at Total Wine in FLL for $15.99 for a 3 liter box. No way I would pay $60 in corkage :(

A rule that is not enforced implies tacit approval. Unequal enforcement causes confusion. Abrupt reversal and enforcement causes anger. Police officers issue warnings in many cases, why not Princess? Princess should consider a more polite roll in of their new enforcement policy. We have many choices where to spend our vacation dollars. We went to a Sandals All Inclusive last fall. Our luggage wasn't searched at the resort, all beverages were unlimited, and we weren't bombarded with trinket sales, photographers, or spa peddlers. I want to be able to relax and not have the memorize the terms of carriage. If our Princess experience is enjoyable we will return. If not, there is no shortage of other options for vacation. :rolleyes:

Just borded the golden, any alcohol in your luggage is now being removed and destroyed. Its just happened to me. Major arguments going on down on deck 4. The new alcohol policy is now in full force. Be warned.

Boy is this a "hot" topic, 19,000+ viewers in 3 days... looks like Princess has opened a can of worms.

A rule that is not enforced implies tacit approval. Unequal enforcement causes confusion. Abrupt reversal and enforcement causes anger. Police officers issue warnings in many cases, why not Princess? Princess should consider a more polite roll in of their new enforcement policy. We have many choices where to spend our vacation dollars. We went to a Sandals All Inclusive last fall. Our luggage wasn't searched at the resort, all beverages were unlimited, and we weren't bombarded with trinket sales, photographers, or spa peddlers. I want to be able to relax and not have the memorize the terms of carriage. If our Princess experience is enjoyable we will return. If not, there is no shortage of other options for vacation. :rolleyes:

Well said!!!!!:D

Black Box, a good boxed wine brand, can be purchased at Total Wine in FLL for $15.99 for a 3 liter box. No way I would pay $60 in corkage :(

Don't get me wrong, I do not like the new enforcement/corkage fee policy either but:

Your $15.99+$60 ($75.99) is still cheaper than their $30 bottle of wine, times 4 + 15% gratuity ($138).....................AND I like my brand better. That to me is the most important point.

I'm with PunkiC, I think Princess and the bar staff are going to lose on this one:rolleyes:

Having just went over the HAL website, I think I will be jumping ship. HALs staterooms look much nicer (bigger) and they are not as expensive as Princess. Wish I had of seen this prior to booking my Princess trip (can't cancel now because it involves other family members).

Despite bringing on several bottles of wine for consumption in our stateroom on Princess (we never hid it), Princess made loads of money off us with our bar bill anyway.

If cruise lines want to continue to treat its passengers like children or common criminals, they will find that passengers will just move to other lines that treat them like adults and law abiding citizens.

I guess I am missing the point. The OP did not follow the cruise line rules, was caught, did not like the way he was treated when he got caught. So, is he being treated like a child or a common criminal? I don't think so but he may have been treated rudely which is not a fun way to start a vacation. If he were to go to another cruise line and also break their rules, he probably wouldn't be treated like a law abiding citizen there either. Technically it is not a law but a rule but he is still breaking that rule. The argument that it is Princess' fault for spotty enforcement is as logical as saying it is okay to go through every red light and to get angry because you only get caught every 10th time.

I wanted to check with them to see if they would dump my bottles of Canadian Club that we pay around $13 instead of $26 in Canada which will be in my carry when embarking in Fort Lauderdale (April 26th) or held until the end of the cruise. The girl checked with the supervisor and said they would be held. I have taken her name and date I phoned. I will be bringing wine on board through the checked baggage in a carton and expect to pay corkage no problem. I always do this and always take it to the dining room to be opened.

Ontario Cruiser

FYI Celebrity starts it's Elite Party at 5pm and 1st sitting is 6pm.

The box is 3 litres which is NOT allowed anyways, so they would take it away with no corkage fee
Not true under the old enforcement policy. Until last September, the governing document, the Passage Contract, had no limit on the amount of wine that could be brought on board. We brought a 3 liter Black Box Shiraz on the Island this past January with no problem. We drank that in our cabin and bought a 10 bottle Silver wine bottle package for $241.50 for wine to drink at dinner on our 14 day cruise.

A rule that is not enforced implies tacit approval. Unequal enforcement causes confusion. Abrupt reversal and enforcement causes anger. Police officers issue warnings in many cases, why not Princess? Princess should consider a more polite roll in of their new enforcement policy. ... :rolleyes:
I agree with your post. Princess has the right to change it's policies at any time. The issue here, I believe, is the way it was done. If you are going to start the new policy, let everyone know in advance. The information had been on the luggage tags for quite a while with no change in enforcement. There was justifiable anger with people who had purchased and were planning to bring on larger quantities of wine as was allowed in the past. With advance knowledge people could have made an informed decision to bring on additional wine knowing they would need to pay the $15 corkage. They would also know that liter or magnum size bottles would not be allowed and they would not have purchased that size wine.

A rule that is not enforced implies tacit approval. Unequal enforcement causes confusion. Abrupt reversal and enforcement causes anger.

The first post here about the new luggage tags and boarding passes

was 31-January.

It doesn't seem all that 'abrupt'.

They put in a new traffic light near where I live. For the

first two weeks, it was just flashing, and there was a big sign

saying the date it would be operational.

People were able to adapt.

I remember when several cruise lines used to have free soft

drinks in the dining rooms...

I remember when Princess used to go to Havensite, before

Carnival Corp. got a sweet-heart deal to screw passengers and

go to Crown Bay.

Oh well, times change.

For those that have not compared prices lately, Princess prices of alcoholic drinks and beer are far below those of mid-level hotels and restaurants in most American cities. Wine prices are comparable to most mid level restaurants.

High end hotels and restaurants have much higher mark-ups and the prices there are at least double the price charged on Princess.

Perhaps prices may be lower in small town neighborhood bars and restaurants, but not in most large cities it would be an unusual bargain or at Happy Hour to find a martini for under $10.

For those that have not compared prices lately, Princess prices of alcoholic drinks and beer are far below those of mid-level hotels and restaurants in most American cities. Wine prices are comparable to most mid level restaurants.

High end hotels and restaurants have much higher mark-ups and the prices there are at least double the price charged on Princess.

Perhaps prices may be lower in small town neighborhood bars and restaurants, but not in most large cities it would be an unusual bargain or at Happy Hour to find a martini for under $10.

There is no comparison as the drinks are watered down. :rolleyes:

But I don't live in a hotel bar for 14 days. Hotels allow me to bring my own, you cannot compare the two scenarios

Great Post!:)

I agree with your post. Princess has the right to change it's policies at any time. The issue here, I believe, is the way it was done. If you are going to start the new policy, let everyone know in advance. The information had been on the luggage tags for quite a while with no change in enforcement. There was justifiable anger with people who had purchased and were planning to bring on larger quantities of wine as was allowed in the past. With advance knowledge people could have made an informed decision to bring on additional wine knowing they would need to pay the $15 corkage. They would also know that liter or magnum size bottles would not be allowed and they would not have purchased that size wine.

Pardon me, but isn't printing it on the luggage tags letting people know in advance? In theory, anyone reading those tags should reasonably anticipate the policy is in force. How many warnings does one need? As for your justifiable anger, like what one person posted-that is akin to getting mad for getting a ticket for running a red light.

True, some cops give warnings, but they are not required to. You are supposed to be obeying the rules.

The fact that they put the policy on the luggage tags, to me means they were putting enforcement into place. And we should all be prepared to be hit with the new policy from that point forward.

On the Sun Princess on Friday out of Brisbane a slight change in procedure, Security Screeners ( 3rd Party) were told that one bottle wine per pax was ok, anything above that or any other alcohol the pax were to taken to the Princess Alcohol Collection Crew. Spirits were being kept till the end of the cruise and the wine would be delivered and charged corkage. A big reduction on the previous cruise where ALL wine was being collected.

But these were all Carry On

A good thing is over ..

I agree and one wonders if Princess bottled wine sales will increase following enforcement of byo policy. I doubt it.

You Americans have to pay a lot of money for bottled wine in your hotels and restaurant, hence the prices on the ships I suppose. We are used to smaller mark ups on wine. I was in San Francisco for 8 nights last year and was shocked at hotel/restaurant wine prices, I thought I was still on the ship.

Archived