Riots in Istanbul

Orator

I'm sure most have hard the news and seen the pictures out of Istanbul. Istanbul is one of my favorite ports of call. Wonderful sits and friendly people. Has anyone heard of any schedule changes?

I'm sure most have hard the news and seen the pictures out of Istanbul. Istanbul is one of my favorite ports of call. Wonderful sits and friendly people. Has anyone heard of any schedule changes?

I also have been watching very carefully. Hubby and I are booked on the Oct. 31 cruise on the Connie. We both love Turkey, and especially Istanbul, and just hate to see this happening. While I hope this will not affect cruises, my real fear is for the freedom of the Turkish people. Sorry, I'm not certain how to discuss this without getting into politics so I will stop here.

Are you also booked on the Connie? Would be nice to see you both again.

Over here we heard that there were actually no riots, but started with a friendly protest where they send the riot police that attacked the people with tear gas.

The people are against a large shopping mall to be build in front of the Galata Bridge and protesting the way officals have gone about it.

You have to remember that you are reading news articles and watching news on TV. Riots make good news. We have travelled in many places where there have been reported riots, bombs, and so on reported in the press, yet we have never seen or experienced any problems. Our news reporters can make 100 people with signs sound like a 1 million person armed march.

Yes, be cautious, but don't believe every sensational story you read.

Sounds like so far the protests are taking place the areas in & around Taksim square, which is a good distance from the historical areas where most tourists will visit, if you go to the ports section, or trip advisor, there are people doing "live" reports, the only problems reported are by those staying in the Taksim area, in the historic section it seems to be business as usual.

We were in Rome during the "riots" of 2011, they were confined to an area away from the historic sites that most tourists would visit... ended up with some interesting photos but never felt in danger, same in Athens, there, the people went out of their way to be helpful and make us feel safe when one of the metro stations was shut down & we needed directions to the next one.

So long story, short, right now I wouldn't overly worry about it, just keep an eye out.

i would sugggest you follow the developments on BBC and CNN international in the coming days and weeks.

That being said, I am planning a two week land trip to Turkey for next spring.

Over here we heard that there were actually no riots, but started with a friendly protest where they send the riot police that attacked the people with tear gas.

The people are against a large shopping mall to be build in front of the Galata Bridge and protesting the way officals have gone about it.

I'm against it too, if that's the reason! Too scenic for something like that.

My parents are currently in Istanbul (not by ship, though) and said it has been fine except for some areas their hotel said not to go, some blocked roads, and closed restaurants/shops.

I personally think the media will always overdramatize such events. In the words of our guide in Egypt last month "When the media starts talking about us, just turn the tv off because now you know it's all distorted". She was right.

In the end, the cruise line will do what makes sense for the safety and well being of the passengers, crew and the ship. It is not about "backbone". It is about safety. By the way, in most cases like this, the insurance company for the ship has a lot to say about this.

Keith

You have to remember that you are reading news articles and watching news on TV. Riots make good news. We have travelled in many places where there have been reported riots, bombs, and so on reported in the press, yet we have never seen or experienced any problems. Our news reporters can make 100 people with signs sound like a 1 million person armed march.

Yes, be cautious, but don't believe every sensational story you read.

I have to agree. I don't think there is a place in the world where someone isn't protesting about something. My wife works in Manhattan and she listens to the news everyday while she gets dressed. There is always something going on at Penn Station, Wall Street, Times Square. etc. If she took everything they said seriously she would never go to work. There were times when they said to allow extra time traveling because there was police activity at Penn Station they were checking bags. When she got home that night I asked about the bag check and the delays at Penn. She said nothing was different and that the News was full of sh!t.

We disembarked Azamara this morning in Istanbul, no problems at all, the city is still a thriving exciting place to be, and is operating as normal :)

Glad to hear. Enjoy that wonderful city!

Hi Mike

I travel in the middle east on a regular basis and whilst I am "aware" I have never had any issues despite supposively being in the middle of "riot uprising etc etc " you can fly into Kabul,Bagdad etc so I would find it fairly lame if a cruise line cancelled over current events in Turkey.

The news agency entrench this raise the draw bridge mentality with the sensationalised reports and if you take it all as verbatim everybody would go nowhere. All The Best Anton

I used to live and, work in Istanbul.

I loved it there.

Once in Izmir, a big protest took place right out in front of the waterfront hotel we were staying.

To me, it was scary, but, my

working associate told me, "Nothing to worry"...

After a bit, they shut up, and, went home..nothing to it.

I half expected them to come busting into the hotel... :rolleyes:

The Turkish people treated me wonderful, during my stay there. I never had a problem, and, I have been back several times since...

We have a "booked" cruise next year out of Istanbul...

and, for sure we will go over "early" to explore the area before the cruise... ;)

We disembarked Azamara this morning in Istanbul, no problems at all, the city is still a thriving exciting place to be, and is operating as normal :)

Good to hear!! Enjoy your cruise! :):)

Archived