Just off of the Whisper...

Canuckdoc

Copenhagen to Stockholm - May 28-June 4.

I have posted a full review in the review section but just wanted to touch base here -

a few quick points for those who are concerned --

#1 - overall - Amazing Cruise - ignore the Naysayers...It was near perfect.

#2 - Dining - do what you can to reserve La champagne - far and away an amazing experience - would have paid the old ($200) preium for this, and have felt good about it.

la terrazza was also amazing.

Hot Rocks - not for us

MDR - depends on what you order - you could always have a great meal here... the times I didn't enjoy dinner were the times I decided to be adventurous, and order something that I otherwise wouldn't have...could have been done to perfection for all I know, but just didn't suit my taste.

#3 - Dress code - Many will be happy to know that everyone got along.

Actually, I though most were respectfully dressed, and very stylish - many many Blazers even on casual night - and no violations of any code that I could see...

On Formal night - enough Bowties and satin trimmed pants that the Tuxedo wearers would not feel out of place. But the dark suit wearing sect ooked every bit as formal and respectful.

My only complaint about formal night is maybe the argument we should be making when deciding on the direction of the cruise dress code - that there was nothing worth getting dressed up for...

I can really start to the see the point that some are making about the needless nature of the Formal night. All we did was get dressed up and eat in the restaurant that we ate in the previous night wearing a polo shirt...there was no Harpist at the Foyer of the MDR, no enhanced atmosphere, nothing special that evening - nothing that would add to the fantasy of wearing a tuxedo -- I think that if they are going to commit to formal night - they should give us something worth getting dressed up for - If they did, they may find more people willing to put on the tux...why would anyone put on a ball gown unless they were made to feel like they were going to a ball...

there wasn't even music in the MDR...

#4. the Service - The Butler service is not a gimmick - it was service, the likes of which we had never seen.

the best part was that our particular Butler ( Bryan) really was aggressive (in a good way) about providing services that we didn't think we wanted or needed.

After 2 days of calling for mid afternoon cappuccinos, we didn't have to call anymore...

my shoes were shined without asking.

and the best - was coming back from a long excursion, only to find a bubble bath drawn for us... the kind of thing that you wouldn't have missed if it wasn't there, but now creates a standard to which all others will be held (and will lead to complaints about how the 'service has gone downhill')...

All in all - it was everything that we hoped it could be..

Loved every second of it.

feel free to ask questions...

Thanks for the report.In a lot of ways it mirrors our feelings on Silverseas.Though we love hot rocks and not so fussed on La terrazza.

le Champagne though we are in full agreement.

An interesting point on formal nights.Certainly there should be something special other than just dressing up.though I will wear my bow tie on informal nights and even on the Explorer just because I can.:)

Thank you Canuckdoc for an excellent Whisper summary and also for your enhance formal nite tip--will pass on the Silversea HQ in Ft. Lauderdale for their consideration.

So glad to hear you enjoyed it so much. The follow up is greatly appreciated. Sometimes people appear on the boards and ask all sorts of questions prior to their cruise and never return to tell us how it was....

We board the Whisper in a few weeks and can't wait.

A few questions: do you recall who the head pool bartender was? One of our favorites, Gareth (from South Africa) said he might try to transfer to the Whisper in the summer, but he was scheduled for the Explorer. I understand the CD is Chris Martin. Don't know the name, so I assume he is new to Silversea. Any idea which line he came from? Any idea who the Maitre'd in La Terrazza and the MDR were?

Thanks and welcome back!

So glad to hear you enjoyed it so much. The follow up is greatly appreciated. Sometimes people appear on the boards and ask all sorts of questions prior to their cruise and never return to tell us how it was....

We board the Whisper in a few weeks and can't wait.

A few questions: do you recall who the head pool bartender was? One of our favorites, Gareth (from South Africa) said he might try to transfer to the Whisper in the summer, but he was scheduled for the Explorer. I understand the CD is Chris Martin. Don't know the name, so I assume he is new to Silversea. Any idea which line he came from? Any idea who the Maitre'd in La Terrazza and the MDR were?

Thanks and welcome back!

thank you...

Chris Martin was a fun guy - Didn't get much chance to chat with him about his history, but he hosted the Trivia and was very visible throughout - seemed to be early 30's - great sense of humor...

The pool bartender - couldn't tel you, but wasn't gareth - was mostly Philippine bartenders - but they were a lot of Fun!

They actually had Lillet on the menu and they were able to make a Vesper Martini...My first order - they had to search for the bottle and break the seal... but then it followed me around where ever I was on the ship (like I said, incredible service)...sadly, I was unable to finish the bottle before we left, but I gave it my best effort...

I am drawing a blank on the maitre d's...

We took the red eye from Toronto to Copenhagen, arriving early enough to let us drop off our bags and venture around town - a beautiful, easily walked city...

All in all - it was everything that we hoped it could be..

Loved every second of it.

Thanks for coming back to post your feedback. I look forward to reading your review.

Very happy that you enjoyed Silversea - those last two sentences are key.:)

While we are in the camp that loves to dress up for formal nights, you have made a very good point that there is frequently nothing special or different about formal nights. That could be fixed easily!

Canuckdoc,

Thanks for your review. I love your point about no reason for dressing formally. Asking for people to bring formal clothes demands some effort on their part as well top make it worthwhile.

Hi, Thank you for your comments. Which forum is the review posted on? I would love to read it and admit I am new to CC and still finding my way around. Thanks Dan

it will be in the luxury cruise review, SilverSea section...however, it's not up yet, I imagine there's a bit of lag time until it gets posted -

One thing that they could do on the first formal night is have the meet your neighbors hall party. They used to do that on Regent and it was very successful. The Captain and senior officers would make the rounds thru the halls and greet the guests. Wine and nibblies were served in the halls.

thank you...

Chris Martin was a fun guy - Didn't get much chance to chat with him about his history, but he hosted the Trivia and was very visible throughout - seemed to be early 30's - great sense of humor...

The pool bartender - couldn't tel you, but wasn't gareth - was mostly Philippine bartenders - but they were a lot of Fun!

They actually had Lillet on the menu and they were able to make a Vesper Martini...My first order - they had to search for the bottle and break the seal... but then it followed me around where ever I was on the ship (like I said, incredible service)...sadly, I was unable to finish the bottle before we left, but I gave it my best effort...

I am drawing a blank on the maitre d's...

We took the red eye from Toronto to Copenhagen, arriving early enough to let us drop off our bags and venture around town - a beautiful, easily walked city...

Thanks very much--very helpful!

One thing that they could do on the first formal night is have the meet your neighbors hall party. They used to do that on Regent and it was very successful. The Captain and senior officers would make the rounds thru the halls and greet the guests. Wine and nibblies were served in the halls.

My husband has attended the meet your neighbors party on regent in his gym clothes as he was getting ready to work out. No formal attire required.

Well Rachel you now how formal those Navy folks are :)...our across the deck neighbors during a Voyager crossing, attended our "block party" in their Regent bath robes.

Well Rachel you now how formal those Navy folks are :)...our across the deck neighbors during a Voyager crossing, attended our "block party" in their Regent bath robes.

Ya, those navy folks do like their white suits.

• 3 weeks later...

Loved your review, we are first time cruisers boarding the Whisper in Montreal on Oct 19, have no real idea what we are in for, other than secondhand comments like yours........they are valuable to us and our anticipation heightens as each day passes 113 days to go and counting.

Thanks again

Chris:)

Archived