Why no Hawaii ships in the summer?

iceleven

Why doesn't Princess go to Hawaii in the summer months? I just looked to see if it would be possible to book a 15 day from SF in May and I noticed there are no ships going there From May to September. Aren't there already enough Princess ships in Alaska already?

Why doesn't Princess go to Hawaii in the summer months? I just looked to see if it would be possible to book a 15 day from SF in May and I noticed there are no ships going there From May to September. Aren't there already enough Princess ships in Alaska already?
Ships are deployed where the cruise line can command higher pricing and bigger profits. The demand isn't there for HI cruises. If there are too many ships in Alaska, Princess would redeploy ships to another region for the summer. Unlikely that it would be HI.

Aloha Kakou,

You know, Leialoha and I are wondering the same thing! :) We have always maintained that one ship, (instead of the usual two for Princess) would be popular doing this run all of the year. While it can be a tad warm here in the islands, (well, not compared to the rest of the country these days) I believe many people would enjoy it.

Malama Pono,

Dave

(of Elua)

http://www.eluaworld.blogspot.com

Ships are deployed where the cruise line can command higher pricing and bigger profits. The demand isn't there for HI cruises. If there are too many ships in Alaska, Princess would redeploy ships to another region for the summer. Unlikely that it would be HI.

I could be wrong but I believe there are 5 Princess ships in Alaska during the summer and they are discounting their prices pretty heavy.

I like Elua's suggestion of having at least one ship going to Hawaii during the summer. I would think that there would be a larger draw of families going during the summer months, as well. Perhaps this is something Princess is not interested in since the majority who cruise with her are more mature folk.

I could be wrong but I believe there are 5 Princess ships in Alaska during the summer and they are discounting their prices pretty heavy.

I like Elua's suggestion of having at least one ship going to Hawaii during the summer. I would think that there would be a larger draw of families going during the summer months, as well. Perhaps this is something Princess is not interested in since the majority who cruise with her are more mature folk.

I believe there are 7 Princess ships in Alaska this year. Four do the Gulf of Alaska between Vancouver and Whittier and one each on the inside passage from Vancouver, Seattle and San Francisco.

Capitalism 101

It's all about the money.

Aloha Kakou,

You know, Leialoha and I are wondering the same thing! :) We have always maintained that one ship, (instead of the usual two for Princess) would be popular doing this run all of the year. While it can be a tad warm here in the islands, (well, not compared to the rest of the country these days) I believe many people would enjoy it.

Malama Pono,

Dave

(of Elua)

http://www.eluaworld.blogspot.com

I am 100% in favor of this idea. Princess is losing with letting NCL do all of the Hawaii cruises.

How about @least some in May & September:D

I am 100% in favor of this idea. Princess is losing with letting NCL do all of the Hawaii cruises.

How about @least some in May & September:D

Princess is not losing out, remember NCL started with two ships here and within the first year moved one out. The Pride is the only large cruise ship in the U.S. that is U.S. flagged and it does not operate between the W. Coast and the Islands but only within the islands. May and late Sept./Oct. are the slowest months for Hawaii tourism. The weather is warmer this time of year, but the other thing that would be a consideration are the Tropical Storms that form off Central America and Mexico and could make a T/P crossing very uncomfortable, there have been two in July already. We still have Aug. Sept. and Oct. to go before the season is over. That being said I understand that NCL is still having a hard time filling the ships every week. Believe me Princess is watching all the numbers they can and right now it is not really a viable option. I would not want to subsidise a losing cruise route with higher fares on the other cruise routes just to make up for a bad business decision. ;)

OP - Thanks for bringing up this subject! Would love to see just one Princess ship do the 15 day Hawaii cruise during the summer months. It would be such a great family vacation. I've always wondered if Princess hasn't tried it because of the number of children that would be on board for all those sea days! Please Princess, consider this!

Lost Opportunity if you ask me. They should base a ship in Vancouver that does a 7 day Vancouver return and then a one way to Hawaii and back. No PVSA to deal with and you could easily combine a Hawaii and an Alaskan cruise.

Keep in mind that a trip to Hawaii is 14-15 day. A lot of summer cruise traffic is families with children, when they are out of school. The numbers drop off rather quickly when it comes to families doing 14 day vs 7 trips during the summer. A lot of the retired crowd does not cruise during the summer when children are out of school. Also would families be interested in a cruise that is mostly at sea days, with only 4-5 days actually on the Islands.

Bottom line is that summer time trips would probably be harder to fill that the current schedule. Even the current ones are pretty heavily discounted. While the 7 day Alaska trips are also heavily discounted they do sail pretty full, are pretty port intensive with some fairly pricey excursions. Since there are a lot of families on the 7 day Alaska cruises you have a lot of cabins with 3-4 people in them, making up for the discounts.

Lost Opportunity if you ask me. They should base a ship in Vancouver that does a 7 day Vancouver return and then a one way to Hawaii and back. No PVSA to deal with and you could easily combine a Hawaii and an Alaskan cruise.

I believe the grand is doing 1 or two Hawaii trips RT from Vancouver next year as well as a california coastal cruise or two. After hearing poster BruceMuzz talk about demographics, these cruises should do very well from a ROI point of view with princess.

OP - Thanks for bringing up this subject! Would love to see just one Princess ship do the 15 day Hawaii cruise during the summer months. It would be such a great family vacation. I've always wondered if Princess hasn't tried it because of the number of children that would be on board for all those sea days! Please Princess, consider this!

Good point but perhaps they could at least add May and September to their itinerary schedule. The kids are still in school.

Can Princess really be making all that much more money with 7 ships, 4-5 of which are heavily discounted? Perhaps they are. The excursions are pretty pricey, their fuel expense must be a fraction as to what the cost is to cross the Pacific and I seriously doubt retired people, those who can often take 15+ day cruises, are heavy gamblers or spend much on bar drinks.

I don't understand why there are cruises that leave NY and head to the Caribbean during the winter. Who would want to spend so many days at sea when it is so cold? Yet there is that market, too.

Bottom line, I wish they would either extend their season though to May and include September or have at least one ship (LA or SF) make the Pacific crossing. I'm late to this game so I will admit to not being fully aware of their decisions.

Keep in mind that a trip to Hawaii is 14-15 day. A lot of summer cruise traffic is families with children, when they are out of school. The numbers drop off rather quickly when it comes to families doing 14 day vs 7 trips during the summer. A lot of the retired crowd does not cruise during the summer when children are out of school. Also would families be interested in a cruise that is mostly at sea days, with only 4-5 days actually on the Islands.

Bottom line is that summer time trips would probably be harder to fill that the current schedule. Even the current ones are pretty heavily discounted. While the 7 day Alaska trips are also heavily discounted they do sail pretty full, are pretty port intensive with some fairly pricey excursions. Since there are a lot of families on the 7 day Alaska cruises you have a lot of cabins with 3-4 people in them, making up for the discounts.

But I said one way Hawaii, making it a 10 day cruise. Families could opt for more time in Hawaii or add 7 days for Alaska.

I believe the grand is doing 1 or two Hawaii trips RT from Vancouver next year as well as a california coastal cruise or two. After hearing poster BruceMuzz talk about demographics, these cruises should do very well from a ROI point of view with princess.

Yes, she is. Pacific is also doing a one way in April. Which I think you could add on an Alaska cruise.

Anyone know how to contact the corporate office, possible email?

Perhaps they could be contacted and their reply posted on CC.

Tom:)

More likely to see a question on Facebook and respond there.

Good point but perhaps they could at least add May and September to their itinerary schedule. The kids are still in school.

Can Princess really be making all that much more money with 7 ships, 4-5 of which are heavily discounted? Perhaps they are. The excursions are pretty pricey, their fuel expense must be a fraction as to what the cost is to cross the Pacific and I seriously doubt retired people, those who can often take 15+ day cruises, are heavy gamblers or spend much on bar drinks.

I don't understand why there are cruises that leave NY and head to the Caribbean during the winter. Who would want to spend so many days at sea when it is so cold? Yet there is that market, too.

Bottom line, I wish they would either extend their season though to May and include September or have at least one ship (LA or SF) make the Pacific crossing. I'm late to this game so I will admit to not being fully aware of their decisions.

One of the ships doing Alaskan cruises is sailing permanently for Japan this Fall.

There are many reasons why people cruise when it's cold out. Cruising is not just about fun in the sun with a beach getaway. Many Princess cruises are cold weather cruises. The CA Coastals, for instance are not really warm weather cruises yet they are very popular.

Princess (and other lines) plan deployments 2-3 years in advance. So if there's over-capacity in one region one year, it takes a couple of years to re-plan and redeploy. If demand for an itinerary isn't high and one or two cruise lines are handling capacity, other cruise lines are reluctant to deploy a ship for the same itinerary. That can create over-supply and the result is lower prices. Good for passengers but not good for the cruise lines. If the market is soft this year for Alaska, take advantage of it because you can bet Princess will re-think which ships and how many will sail there.

The bottom line is: follow the money. It's all about supply and demand. It takes time for Princess and other lines to react to demand but you can bet they will react.

But then the high cost of a one way air fare could be a deterrent.

Maybe for some. We pay around $210 for a one way. I'd spend that easily on those 5 days at sea coming back :) I didn't say it was for everyone, but I'm sure a lot of people would enjoy it rather than 7 ships in Alaska.

I would like to do Hawaii with my favorite cruise line, but 14/15 days is a bit too long and they schedule them at a time that I can't take off. If they have something in the summer or one way from Vancouver to Hawaii, that would work for me too...if this doesn't work, I have to go with NCL instead :(

I, for one, would not take a summer cruise anywhere. Heat and humidity aggravate my medical issue. We always go to Hawaii in April.

I know it's far out there, but we are planning Hawaii and Alaska in the future. Both itins are expensive. Given the future fuel situation, we might have to boot them up. :D

In 2011, we took the Sea from SF to AK. We fueled up in Victoria. The captain announced that it cost $860,000.00 to fill up. That was 2011.

Pat

Archived