Children's Program

condor

whystahome, I am glad that the situation is now under control. I suspected it would be. I hope that the weather improves and once again wish you a wonderful cruise.

Keith

Thank you. We have been having a wonderful time. Unfortunately, we are enjoying the cuisine a little too much. Next time we will have to adopt your World Cruise food management strategy!

Thank you. We have been having a wonderful time. Unfortunately, we are enjoying the cuisine a little too much. Next time we will have to adopt your World Cruise food management strategy!

You are very welcome.

It sounds like the food is terrific. :)

Continue to enjoy!

Keith

Last week l was given the opportunity to pose a question to

Holland America Line & Seabourn

director of sales Australia, Tony Archbold.

which was published on the Australian online cruise magazine

Cruise Weekly which was posted and released today.

Dear Tony,

As a long time Seabourn regular cruiser, I was

interested to read online and hear from other

Seabourn friends of the introduction of the

new on-board children’s programme.

I am finding it difficult to find out more info

from the sales team. Could you explain what

it is, how it works and how much it will cost?

Thankyou, Mr Jaffa

His published reply

Seabourn has developed a program to

employ youth counsellors on cruises where

we are aware that there will be an unusual

number of children. These itineraries tend

to be on our cruises in the Mediterranean

during July and August. The counsellors

operate fun, age-appropriate activities

that allow the children to have a good time

that is not disruptive to the enjoyment of

other guests. It should be said that many

of Seabourn’s itineraries are port-intensive

and thus many or most of the children who

may be on board are off the ship with their

parents during port days. There is no cost

associated with this service.

Last week l was given the opportunity to pose a question to

which was published on the Australian online cruise magazine

Cruise Weekly which was posted and released today.

Dear Tony,

As a long time Seabourn regular cruiser, I was

interested to read online and hear from other

Seabourn friends of the introduction of the

new on-board children’s programme.

I am finding it difficult to find out more info

from the sales team. Could you explain what

it is, how it works and how much it will cost?

Thankyou, Mr Jaffa

His published reply

Seabourn has developed a program to

employ youth counsellors on cruises where

we are aware that there will be an unusual

number of children. These itineraries tend

to be on our cruises in the Mediterranean

during July and August. The counsellors

operate fun, age-appropriate activities

that allow the children to have a good time

that is not disruptive to the enjoyment of

other guests. It should be said that many

of Seabourn’s itineraries are port-intensive

and thus many or most of the children who

may be on board are off the ship with their

parents during port days. There is no cost

associated with this service.

Glad to see that Seabourn realizes that large numbers of children on board can be disruptive and that they need to be occupied to be less so.

May I ask who are the other senior staff ?

many thanks:)

My pleasure

Staff Captain: Krasimir. Radev

Chief Engineer: Andrew Reid

Doctor: Sandra Lim

Hotel Manager: Marcel Gademan

Food and Beverage: Bozi Copic

Chief Purser: Cristhian Castro

Guest Services Manager: Colleen Ellis

Cruise Director: Handre Potgieter

Restaurant Manager: Nicholas Botha

Executive Chef: Frank Sollazzo

Executive Housekeeper: Michelle Roberts

Destinations Manager: Claudio Schulze

Cruise Sales: Pierre Van Breda

We have child care issues that caused us to reconsider an upcoming Seabourn cruise. When I called the cancel, the Seabourn sales rep said, "Bring 'em! You can always ask other passengers to watch your kids."

We have child care issues that caused us to reconsider an upcoming Seabourn cruise. When I called the cancel, the Seabourn sales rep said, "Bring 'em! You can always ask other passengers to watch your kids."

Don't count on it. I've yet to be on a Seabourn cruise where any passengers were welcoming to children,, let alone wanted to babysit.

Oh yeah, I will be watching them. :eek: That is a disturbing thing to hear coming from someone at Seabourn--even a sales rep.

How could I have been so insensitive to the needs of sweet little Suzy? My humble apologies!!!!

Your post completely identifies the problem. It's all about parents who put their own needs and desires above those of their kids.

How dare you suggest that little 2yr old Suzy Soggybottoms should stay home and be unable to enjoy the champagne and caviar that her mother, er she so desperately wants ;)

Too funny!! :D

Host Dan

How dare you suggest that little 2yr old Suzy Soggybottoms should stay home and be unable to enjoy the champagne and caviar that her mother, er she so desperately wants ;)

And cigars, of course, cigars.

The forum topic about young children on board seems to have gone a bit off track, which is a shame, as it started out as a fairly serious discussion by a number of passengers who were genuinely concerned about the new direction in which the cruise line appears to be going. Of course Seabourn are perfectly entitled to accept bookings from any passengers they wish, and if that includes families with babies and young children, as Keith keeps pointing out, that is their business decision.

However those loyal passengers who have for many years enjoyed Seabourn as a child-free, serene, and generally peaceful cruise experience need to let Seabourn know that they would prefer it to stay that way. If you stay silent, or simply don't re-book, they will not know why they have lost you. Unfortunately Seabourn cannot have it both ways; attracting a new market of families with young children will inevitably drive away a significant percentage of their faithful long-time passengers. Providing a children's 'program' of putting them all in the Card Room, doesn't improve the situation; in fact it makes it worse, as it makes it appear that the ship is suitable for children, which it isn't. Every 'facility' handed over to children is one less for adult passengers.

It would be very welcome to see a grown-up discussion on this topic, with some intelligent, well thought-out points, instead of silly jokes and constantly repeated comments that there is 'nothing you can do'.

The forum topic about young children on board seems to have gone a bit off track, which is a shame, as it started out as a fairly serious discussion by a number of passengers who were genuinely concerned about the new direction in which the cruise line appears to be going. Of course Seabourn are perfectly entitled to accept bookings from any passengers they wish, and if that includes families with babies and young children, as Keith keeps pointing out, that is their business decision.

However those loyal passengers who have for many years enjoyed Seabourn as a child-free, serene, and generally peaceful cruise experience need to let Seabourn know that they would prefer it to stay that way. If you stay silent, or simply don't re-book, they will not know why they have lost you. Unfortunately Seabourn cannot have it both ways; attracting a new market of families with young children will inevitably drive away a significant percentage of their faithful long-time passengers. Providing a children's 'program' of putting them all in the Card Room, doesn't improve the situation; in fact it makes it worse, as it makes it appear that the ship is suitable for children, which it isn't. Every 'facility' handed over to children is one less for adult passengers.

It would be very welcome to see a grown-up discussion on this topic, with some intelligent, well thought-out points, instead of silly jokes and constantly repeated comments that there is 'nothing you can do'.

Well said and exactly my thoughts too. We have hesitated a short notice booking for just this reason. I know Seabourn staff (at least some of them) read these boards so hopefully it might make them think a bit. You are so right that every venue given to the kids is one less venue that was in that cruise brochure that you will not get to use. One trip on SeaDream (they are having the same issues, maybe more so) Gave the pool (the only pool) over to a large group of kids for an ice cream social. Really nice to be in the Caribbean with no pool access.:eek: Thanks for getting this thread back on topic.:D

Amen. And yes, forget the "nothing you can do" defeatist and let Seabourn know how you feel.

And it looks like all the lobbying and discussion from the smoking thread(s), did in fact make a difference.

I seem to remember the SB brochure or possibly web site from two or three years ago stating that their ships were unsuitable for small children.... perhaps that was just in reference to the little sisters.

The small ships ARE quite unsuitable for small children in any numbers, but it looks as if SB can not afford to not cater for families. Perhaps the proposed 600 passenger new build will have dedicated children's facilities, and families that want a 'luxury' experience will gravitate towards that.

I certainly will not - just not interested in large group mass experiences - hence the original attraction of the little sisters. Personally I am not even sure if I would enjoy the Odyssey class ships. I certainly could not tolerate one with 40 children on it.

Does anyone think SB could operate with one of its (soon to be) 4(?) ships as adults only? Other lines seem to be able to manage it?

In a word: No.

The feeling on Madison Avenue is young people have more disposable income (make that credit cards).

If Seabourn were filling the bunks, it wouldn't accommodate children.

It believes it must to survive. But their ships are just so not equipped to entertain them.

I don't agree. But it's a business decision.

I understand why people book cruises with children on cruise lines that have children's programs regardless of how some passengers would prefer the cruise line to be child free. I understand why people book cruises with children on ships that they have sailed that they "know" would be a good fit for their children. I also understand why passengers would book a 7 day cruise that is port intensive on a ship that they are looking at as a "floating hotel". What I don't understand is why a cruise line would promote ships such as the smaller Seabourn, SeaDream and/or Windstar ships as being appropriate for young children. It is a business decision that I cannot believe would bring in more revenue over the long term. I would think that it is a decision that would turn anyone off sailing, especially those new to the sailing world.

Archived