Question of interest as to ports

Hawaiidan

Over the years I have read and noted people saying they have been of so many cruises, for example 40 , 60 , and even 100+ Even more so reading about people who seem to take cruises ever few months.

In as much as there are only so many places ships go, I would find it hard if not impossible to sail to find new ports and experiences.

For myself, while I take 3 to 8 week cruises, I have run out of ports of interest. and cruising once a year or even every other year seems a lot and I am retired ! Three times to the Carribe ( 7, 10, 14 day) and it became tedious. ( Same with Tahiti after the 3 rd time..)

So, curious how many times have you taken a cruise to the same place or places. and if so what is the allure in doing the same thing over and over?

This is not a criticism of you or any one; I am just wondering...no more no less.

Over the years I have read and noted people saying they have been of so many cruises, for example 40 , 60 , and even 100+ Even more so reading about people who seem to take cruises ever few months.

In as much as there are only so many places ships go, I would find it hard if not impossible to sail to find new ports and experiences.

For myself, while I take 3 to 8 week cruises, I have run out of ports of interest. and cruising once a year or even every other year seems a lot and I am retired ! Three times to the Carribe ( 7, 10, 14 day) and it became tedious. ( Same with Tahiti after the 3 rd time..)

So, curious how many times have you taken a cruise to the same place or places. and if so what is the allure in doing the same thing over and over?

This is not a criticism of you or any one; I am just wondering...no more no less.

I am relatively new to cruising but enjoy revisiting ports. You can only do so much with one day in a port and going back to the same allows for a deeper exploration or jaunt to another area. Livorno is a case in point. You can't even begin to see Florence in a day. There is also Pisa, Lucca and the Tuscan hills to explore.

I agree with you. I find the European ports very worthwhile of revisiting. There is so much more to see and experience that one day can't touch. I was just on the Marina in the Baltic and spent one night in Stockholm prior to sailing. This was my 2nd visit to Stockholm and I am looking forward to a 3rd visit to this beautiful and enchanting city. So much more to explore and experience. I'm a big fan of the Med as well. I am always day dreaming of revisiting the beauty of the Greek Isles and Adriatic coastline.

and have done many other cruises as well....For us...I think...as already mentioned...you can't really see everything in a city/town/country in a day. We like the T/A because it gets us to Europe...where we have CC friends and other places to visit....same with the T/P...TBH...we are pretty much just doing those type of cruises...because I love the sea days...we get where we want to go...and have fun along the way!!!! LuAnn

There are places we never tire of..

We are currently in London for the 37 th time., never for a day but for weeks.

Switzerland and Israel come in close on land.

We have been to all the Baltic cruise ports at least three times and multiple cruises of both the Eastern and western Med. Spring we will do the Panama Canal and Alaska for the second time and at this stage of our lives we don't care what the ports are because any Oceania ship is now our destination. I guess it is an age thing.

For us, the Caribbean every Christmas with a second leg. We like the easy Caribbean ports and love Oceania Riviera.

Four times to Tahiti--don't think we will do that again.

Now making our fourth trip to Italy--two segments Oceania Riviera. There is always something new to see. However because of the extremely high airfares, we don't think we will do Europe again.

Making our sixth trip to England and Scotland. Easy trip for us--non-stop and a good airplane, Virgin. Always something new there too.

We may do the Baltic one more time, but it isn't pressing and as I mentioned the airfares are getting outrageous.

Also back to Hawaii twice a year..my home, where my heart is. Never get tired of Hawaii.

Hawaiidan...it is hard for you since you always have to come here before going anywhere else. I think you are going to be doing a pretty amazing cruise.

When people say they repeat ports because you can't see it all in one day -- no argument here!

But for those ports we do land trips. Sometimes it's a self-drive, sometimes it's just a week or two in an area. But I wouldn't try to see those places on a cruise - at least, not in depth.

It's true that you cannot see Florence in a day. But doing it in one day increments from Livorno is equally difficult. Much better to stay there for several days.

Likewise, I have a personal objection to trying to see Berlin or Paris in one day from the port because you spend more time traveling to/from than you do in the city, and cities like these need real time. Lots of people DO, I get that. I just consider it a waste of time.

OTOH, cruising can be great for seeing small places in one day. We finally got to Sorrento a year ago and did the day touring Amalfi. I wouldn't avoid returning because I've "already" seen the area, because clearly I haven't.

We have spent a lot of time over the years in Lisbon and Cadiz (some on cruises, some on independent trips) and we always find something new to see ...

Hawaiidan, you've seen far more than we have! But I understand your point ... for a big city you really can't spend enough time there. For some smaller ports, one day really IS enough!

Mura

Sometimes it's the ports and sometimes it is the ship. The Baltics is a trip we would like to do again. Also the far east. Europe also comes to mind. On the right ship it is always exciting. Oceania seems to be the right ships. :)

I do so appreciate your perspective. It was most interesting, varied and insightful to say the least. Thanks for the candor.

I too cruise for the sake of being on a ship and relish sea days. I use the ports as Segway's to see whether I find a connection of interest. Some ports yes and others....well after an hour the vibe or allure escaped me.

Also some places I feel no connection or desire to ( Africa,India and South America, gulf States) after having visited. Either too dangerous or politically un wise to do so.

I am pretty much Europe , South America, and Carribe out.

Professionally I worked in Warsaw, London, Tokyo ,Sydney, Wien, Zurich, ,Singapore , Kuala Lumpur and Salzburg. With the Navy sailed to places like ,Longapoe/Subic, Cam Ran, Yokosuka that ships today and good taste would never visit, and I live in Hawaii after 50 years in So Cal.

After my next 66 day Tokyo to Lisbon I am turning to Laos and Cambodia in search of karst and caves. That trip will take me totally around the world twice by sea I scour the cruises and they all seem like replications of each other for people who have never been. I think of Alexander the Great who wept that he had no more worlds.

I guess I am seeking cruises as a recon mission and not in an end in and of them selves. If I like what I see I return and spend a week or two on land because a ship stop is a intro to discovery. To base exploration thus is difficult and expensive. To visit 37 times in London....God love you .

Thanks all.... and I wish you all fair winds and following seas in you own quest for fulfillment

Dan

We have had the Polynesian Flu since 2000 when we first went to French Polynesia. We have never tired of that destination, despite the difficulty of getting there. It is just so beautiful, and the Paul Gauguin is such a lovely ship.

With that exception above, we don't really cruise much for the destination or the ports. If we want to get to know a place, we do a land trip. Sometimes in combination with a cruise. So increasingly, we find the ship to be the destination. This makes it easy to do the Caribbean. Of course, we've only been prone to do one cruise a year, or at the most two, so we haven't really become jaded.

I do so appreciate your perspective. It was most interesting, varied and insightful to say the least. Thanks for the candor.

I too cruise for the sake of being on a ship and relish sea days. I use the ports as Segway's to see whether I find a connection of interest. Some ports yes and others....well after an hour the vibe or allure escaped me.

Also some places I feel no connection or desire to ( Africa,India and South America, gulf States) after having visited. Either too dangerous or politically un wise to do so.

I am pretty much Europe , South America, and Carribe out.

Professionally I worked in Warsaw, London, Tokyo ,Sydney, Wien, Zurich, ,Singapore , Kuala Lumpur and Salzburg. With the Navy sailed to places like ,Longapoe/Subic, Cam Ran, Yokosuka that ships today and good taste would never visit, and I live in Hawaii after 50 years in So Cal.

After my next 66 day Tokyo to Lisbon I am turning to Laos and Cambodia in search of karst and caves. That trip will take me totally around the world twice by sea I scour the cruises and they all seem like replications of each other for people who have never been. I think of Alexander the Great who wept that he had no more worlds.

I guess I am seeking cruises as a recon mission and not in an end in and of them selves. If I like what I see I return and spend a week or two on land because a ship stop is a intro to discovery. To base exploration thus is difficult and expensive. To visit 37 times in London....God love you .

Thanks all.... and I wish you all fair winds and following seas in you own quest for fulfillment

Dan

to you...dear friend! LuAnn

This is a great question, Hawaiidan, thanks for asking!

We usually cruise to get an overview of a particular region, to decide if we want to come back and explore more in-depth. We have toured Florence from Livorno in half a day. Yes - it's not remotely enough time. We will return at some point on our own.

On the other hand, visiting Sarande, Albania and Constantza, Romania by cruise ship was great. One day was plenty to see a few sights and leave. Don't need to go back, and glad we didn't book a few days land-based visit to find that out.

We tend to seek out repeat visits to places that either have tons of things we want to do (London, Rome), or places that change significantly over time (like your home). We've been to the Big Island in 2002, 05, 06, 09, and 13. The volcano is different every time, which keeps us wanting to come back for more. Similarly, I'd go to Antarctica again in a second. Another Caribbean cruise? Doubtful...

Bottom line - as long as we can find something different enough to do in a port we've already visited, we're quite happy to revisit. Or, we're even happy to revisit something we had to rush through previously.

We don't think we'd be happy with a transoceanic cruise (yet) as we tend to get cabin fever after about 1 sea day. So although the ship is an important consideration, we don't yet consider it our primary destination. The day will come when we want to slow down and stay on board the ship, but until then, we'll keep doing a nice mixture of new destinations, and old familiar stops that still make us happy.

We have traveled throughout western Europe extensively on land tours. We have done 7-8 cruises primarily because cruising seemed like a fun way to see places we haven't seen before. We have done Alaska (our very first cruise as well as our very first "big" trip--loved it!), the Caribbean (we live in Florida so sometimes have done this area because family and friends have asked us to travel with them; otherwise, we would pass on the Caribbean as a cruise destination, the Baltics, New England and Canada in the Fall (although we were already very familiar with New England and Canada, but loved the opportunity to cruise) and now we will be going to South America in December.

In 2011 we did an Asian tour (China and Hong Kong on land, Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand on a cruise and Singapore by land). Our priorities have changed. My husband was diagnosed with stage IV cancer in 2009 and the Asian trip was a milestone (yes, he recovered and that was an emotional "bucket trip" for both of us). The trip proved we were ready emotionally to restart our lives. Afterwards he expressed concern about traveling outside the US as he was concerned about access to health care for emergencies. We have traveled inside the US since then but South America has been a "bucket trip" for me for years. So he has agreed to one last trip outside the US.

This South American cruise allows us to have the safety of a familiar cocoon while having a taste of different cultures and places. I doubt we will ever travel outside the US again as it is too much of a health issue for him. (He is so willing to do this trip because he knows it matters to me.) So life happens and priorities change.

I am willing to enjoy the "small trips" inside the US vs. the "big trips" outside because I have the greatest partner and best friend in the world. After this trip we will see the parts of the US (assuming the government ever opens up again!) that we haven't seen yet.

We have been to Italy eight times, six times to Venice but always including different parts. We lived in Germany for two years and returned once to visit friends and to see our old neighborhood and remember what we enjoyed when we lived there. I love new places but I love to return to see the formerly visited places. We are very lucky to have the choice.

Go everywhere twice and love what you see the first time--you may not get back. I can honestly say I have never had a bad vacation--certainly beats being in the office!

Like many of the respondents here we have visited many of the ports 6 times and more but not only do you see something different or perhaps of interest each time but also in a way its like returning home to a place in which you do not live. There is a feel to it because you have been there many times before and of course with some of them you even fall in love. That's the reason we continue to cruise and of course its also the people you meet on board that help enrich the cruise and your life experiences. Keep cruising.

We were booking 2-4 cruises a year and we have been to many of the Ports in the Med/Baltic/North America and Central America too. My husband has done Asia prior to us marrying; We are not tired of any place we have been. The last few years we have done a few River Cruises and we almost always do some land before and after a cruise as well as we have taken a few Tauck Land trips which have been exceptional. Next month we have a back to back planned and unless we book something on board - we will have no cruise s booked at all. We still work and like you some areas hold no interest for us so a long trip to see them is not worthwhile for us. I think we are going to take a break from cruising for land where no ships can take us anyway.

You all have most interesting and personal reason for which no one can fault you.:o

I think where I differ is that I am and have been a very adventurous and independent traveler. While I love the social dynamic of cruising I also realize it is, for me, very restrictive in many ways. I have to give up something to get something.

:D I also like the anticipation of another trip and going every few months would seem to make my pleasure routine. Like a vacation to a ski, VS, living in a ski town for a season. Your escape becomes normalcy.

For this reason I have opted for longer cruises in lesser cabins in order to maximize the discovery and human interaction. Cruises of under 3 weeks are way to terse and to me a waste.

Cruises are to me a means to a defined end, not an end in themselves.

The ports are thus the theater and the people are the drama:o

I have friends who vacation every year at the same place year after year. I could never do that. Too many things to experience.

I have never been on an organized tour but have done my own based on my own interests. Sometimes these interests are nowhere close to what others have.

Too, I have my health and mobility to allow me free rein.

Bottom line......you can always get more money but you can not get more time.........what is yours worth and what will you do with it?

I must say that we absolutely agree that twice around the Caribbean and you have seen everything.

In fact I am fairly convinced that there is really only ONE ISLAND there. ST THOJAMLUCIABADOS.

Every night the Ship sets sail, goes out to sea and returns to the same Island but at a different Port. Same Cab Drivers....same Jewellery Shops, Hotels and the list goes on.

This is my own personal conspracy theory !

Brian

We have had the Polynesian Flu since 2000 when we first went to French Polynesia. We have never tired of that destination, despite the difficulty of getting there. It is just so beautiful, and the Paul Gauguin is such a lovely ship.

With that exception above, we don't really cruise much for the destination or the ports. If we want to get to know a place, we do a land trip. Sometimes in combination with a cruise. So increasingly, we find the ship to be the destination. This makes it easy to do the Caribbean. Of course, we've only been prone to do one cruise a year, or at the most two, so we haven't really become jaded.

Do you think that the Paul Gauguin is that much better than the Marina in French Polynesia? If so, how so? We are going on the Marina and hope that it is the right ship. Seems to be a lot more to do on sea days and a much bigger choice of dining options. We welcome your opinion. :):)

Do you think that the Paul Gauguin is that much better than the Marina in French Polynesia? If so, how so? We are going on the Marina and hope that it is the right ship. Seems to be a lot more to do on sea days and a much bigger choice of dining options. We welcome your opinion. :):)

Why, ? First being a larger ship with more things to do and higher quality.

Second Paul Gaugin does short 7 day and rarely 14 days.

To me anything less than 14 is a waste..

Third. The paul gaugin seldom cruises more than 200 miles in a day and stays put in a very small region

Fourth: Cabins on Marina are way better

Fifth: With Marina you can sail to Tahiti and beyond cutting 50% of the air travel. Arriving in Tahiti by sea it a thrill. By air...ho-hum, just another airport. Anticipation is wonderful in a instant gratification world.:D:D

I personally recommend sailing from either North America or New Zealand to arrive in Tahiti for the first time after 5 to 7 days at sea because in makes the discovery all that sweeter. Then spend 7 days and if you can sail on. I have flown to Tahiti 1 time and continued on to Sydney( Royal Viking), Then I have made round trips from LA to Tahiti ( regent)

But the best was Sydney to LA with 5 days in Tahiti (Regent) . I have not sailed PaulGaugin but have been aboard her in Tahiti as a guest.

My next trip is to fly to Tahiti and then sail on to north America (Marina)

Why, ? First being a larger ship with more things to do and higher quality.

Second Paul Gaugin does short 7 day and rarely 14 days.

To me anything less than 14 is a waste..

Third. The paul gaugin seldom cruises more than 200 miles in a day and stays put in a very small region

Fourth: Cabins on Marina are way better

Fifth: With Marina you can sail to Tahiti and beyond cutting 50% of the air travel. Arriving in Tahiti by sea it a thrill. By air...ho-hum, just another airport. Anticipation is wonderful in a instant gratification world.:D:D

I personally recommend sailing from either North America or New Zealand to arrive in Tahiti for the first time after 5 to 7 days at sea because in makes the discovery all that sweeter. Then spend 7 days and if you can sail on. I have flown to Tahiti 1 time and continued on to Sydney( Royal Viking), Then I have made round trips from LA to Tahiti ( regent)

But the best was Sydney to LA with 5 days in Tahiti (Regent) . I have not sailed PaulGaugin but have been aboard her in Tahiti as a guest.

My next trip is to fly to Tahiti and then sail on to north America (Marina)

Thanks so much for this wonderful post. Sounds like we are making the right choice. From looking at all the things you said in the above post we came to the same conclusion. We are going from Tahiti to Sydney, 18 days, so we should have a good long time on the ship. Arriving 4 days early and staying 3 days in Sydney at the end. Thanks again. :)

Thanks so much for this wonderful post. Sounds like we are making the right choice. From looking at all the things you said in the above post we came to the same conclusion. We are going from Tahiti to Sydney, 18 days, so we should have a good long time on the ship. Arriving 4 days early and staying 3 days in Sydney at the end. Thanks again. :)

The route of Cook? That is Santiago to Tahiti then 7 days in Tahiti and fly out. This route is on Marina and is usualy not booked full. The fly home from Tahiti.

An alternative that is very popular is Fly to Tahiti then sail to Lima and fly home seeing machu picchu.

The route west from Tahiti to Sydney goes through the Cooks ( ho hum) Fiji, ( best snorkeling in the planet) New Caledonia interesting Not sure it it hits New Zealand.

One caution on this direction is that the currents between Fiji and New Zealand. come from the North east striking the continent of Australia as tho it were a shoal. This causes the seas to build in to big rollers and it can be a very "interesting ride" running with the seas.. On My Viking cruise we were getting water over the bridge and burying the bow with every pitch.

Good luck....make it last.... life and cruising should not be a contest.

Go on the Alaska cruise. You can't beat it!

The route of Cook? That is Santiago to Tahiti then 7 days in Tahiti and fly out. This route is on Marina and is usualy not booked full. The fly home from Tahiti.

An alternative that is very popular is Fly to Tahiti then sail to Lima and fly home seeing machu picchu.

The route west from Tahiti to Sydney goes through the Cooks ( ho hum) Fiji, ( best snorkeling in the planet) New Caledonia interesting Not sure it it hits New Zealand.

One caution on this direction is that the currents between Fiji and New Zealand. come from the North east striking the continent of Australia as tho it were a shoal. This causes the seas to build in to big rollers and it can be a very "interesting ride" running with the seas.. On My Viking cruise we were getting water over the bridge and burying the bow with every pitch.

Good luck....make it last.... life and cruising should not be a contest.

Just never know what the seas will do. A few years ago we went from Sydney to Aukland and it was pretty calm. Then a few years later we went round Cape Horn and it felt like a bath tub. We expected the ride of our life from what we were told and it did not occur. Some of the worst weather we found was in the Carib. Who would think it? Hope we get lucky in Feb. going into Sydney. :)

Just never know what the seas will do. A few years ago we went from Sydney to Aukland and it was pretty calm. Then a few years later we went round Cape Horn and it felt like a bath tub. We expected the ride of our life from what we were told and it did not occur. Some of the worst weather we found was in the Carib. Who would think it? Hope we get lucky in Feb. going into Sydney. :)

Yes weather IS pretty Predictable. I have sailed and commanded boats and ships around the pacific and Atlantic from 42 ft to 685 ft..

Trust me you were lucky...

Don't trust me, and get the navigation book " Sailing Routes of The World. Pick up a regional "Pilot chart"

These 2 document, by month, currents, sea state, wind, storm patterns. These are bibles for a Captain and his Navigator. They are the compilation of decades of collected data . Figures don't lie.

Sincerely these sources are available to Mariners from serious supply companies that are the standard for the worlds sailors amature or professional .

When you want serious input on what your cruise will be like

The Caribe is a lake, because it is sheltered on 3 sides, and even in hurricane seldom develops the sharp nasty sea. It gets swells and surges but not the large steep seas because of its hundreds of closely related islands... Limited fetch.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

The Horn is the most violent weather and collision of Pacific and Atlantic so violent the fish from either side can not swim around it!

Home to the 110 ft seas that have broken up 1000 ft super ships and capsized them.

Look up:

The Bass Straights, The Washington/Oregon coast and Juan De Fuca. Tasman sea north of New Zealand Cape St George, Columbia Bar, Point Conception, Ahanalua channel, Hawaii, Bering Sea, Drakes Passage. Cape of Good Hope. South China Sea, Look em up for fun... e( ever see a 1200 ft aircraft carrier bury her flight deck? )

Going Sydney to New Zealand is far different than going New Zealand or New Caledonia to Sydney,

Now a quick comment about Alaska, a cruise to Alaska or Hawaii is good as an introduction to the place to serve as the basis for future land visits because neither can be seen in one day sea based stops. A 7 day cruise to either followed by a 7 to 10 day land exploration is ideal. not another cruise.

Archived