New Meaning to "Country Club Casual"

Condocat

My dear departed mum use to say that you can forgive someone with holes in their shoes , or even their pants but you can't forgive them if their dirty, and really who are we to judge what is right to wear and what's wrong.

Some people have scrimped and saved to be able to go on a once in a lifetime cruise and they can't afford to wear anything other than discount store clothes , those of us who can afford designer style clothes can wear these if we wish , but we have no right to judge and certainly no right to criticize

those that don't.

Karl.

Karl,

While I totally agree with your mum's sentiment I cannot agree with yours.

People who cruise on Oceania do not scrimp to go on a "once in a lifetime cruise". If they do, then they are very foolish because they could cruise for much less on many other cruise lines and are thus wasting their hard earned money. I am pretty sure that they can afford to buy clothes other than only discount store clothes.

People we are talking about here wear what they wear because that is what they wish to do - not because they cannot afford any other clothes. Anyone who can afford to buy blue jeans for a cruise can afford to buy Dockers in a discount store. It's not a matter of money but rather a matter of choice.

JMO

Edited by Paulchili

As usual posts get misunderstood. It doesn't have to be one's own judgement that one looks good in jeans. No one can dispute that Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie will look good in jeans. So I guess it's okay for them to wear them on O but not Kathy Bates.

Secondly, jeans are not restricted to the West Coast. I cannot tell you how many good restaurants in NY I have been to where people wear jeans. Maybe not the temples of haute cuisine and maybe not on the Upper East Side but in most parts of the city where things are "happening" it's a common sight.

I will be taking my first cruise on Oceania in March and to be honest, I am rather disturbed by this discussion. We chose Oceania because of the itineraries, the food, the relaxed environment and the people. I have read the discussions on other higher end lines and have picked up haughtiness, especially related to dress (think Cunard and Crystal). This is my first experience of that here. I agree that the rules for dress should be defined, jeans or no jeans (and they do take up way too much room in a suitcase), but I am also hearing critiques of others' dress. How can a dress worn too tight, pants worn too loose, or a shirt worn outside (which is my preference) affect anyone else seated in the dining room. I was under the impression that Oceania's food, service and patrons' conversation would capture my attention so completely that if someone entered the dining room in a sack cloth, it could not catch my eye.

That is my expectation for my next two cruises. jmo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I will be taking my first cruise on Oceania in March and to be honest, I am rather disturbed by this discussion. We chose Oceania because of the itineraries, the food, the relaxed environment and the people. I have read the discussions on other higher end lines and have picked up haughtiness, especially related to dress (think Cunard and Crystal). This is my first experience of that here. I agree that the rules for dress should be defined, jeans or no jeans (and they do take up way too much room in a suitcase), but I am also hearing critiques of others' dress. How can a dress worn too tight, pants worn too loose, or a shirt worn outside (which is my preference) affect anyone else seated in the dining room. I was under the impression that Oceania's food, service and patrons' conversation would capture my attention so completely that if someone entered the dining room in a sack cloth, it could not catch my eye.

That is my expectation for my next two cruises. jmo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Welcome to Oceania. Please understand that you will be welcome...and I think you will enjoy the experience!!! I'm not sure about the sack cloth :D..but I think anything else worn will be A-OK for many!!! I think you are right...food, service and conversation will capture your attention!! Please don't let the few...keep you from the many!!! LuAnn

Edited by LuAnn

CanadaTraveler,

Be assured that not everyone enters a restaurant checking out everyone else's attire! In general we are a very nice bunch of people.

There HAVE been occasional complaints about people who are "dressed down" a bit too much. But life goes on.

Mura

We do travel with just carry ons, and therefore do not bring jeans. They are just too bulky.

sent from Galaxy Note 8

You must not fly on Luthansa Airlines, since each passenger is allowed only eighteen total pounds for the carry-on.

Nope...somehow I have to figure a way to get 8 cases of 3 buck chuck, 50 pounds of pretzels and a microwave oven for my popcorn on board. :D:cool::rolleyes:

Just load up your new RV :D

Doesn't the cruise start in Miami ;)

Jeez, let a feller go walkabout fer a week and the world goes kabluey! :eek:

Once past the age of aggravated hormones, have preferred my females nicely dressed. And at my age, I do good to remember to wear clothes in all situations. But I did read and agree to the Oceania Clothing Standards as printed before this latest advisory.

If yew want to eat semi-nekkid, Waves is ready when you are. Otherwise, appropriate clothing is simple common decency on board a cruise ship. And evening meals in Oceania's restaurants calls for a reasonable effort to dress up to at least casual dress(y) standard. Otherwise, stay home and eat at McDonalds.

This being said, I've long since quit hauling my mess blues around for social occasions. Too many people tend to ask me where their seats are... :cool:

JMBobB

B.S. This frum a guy who lives in California where speed limits and other inconvenient impositions of unrestrained civil liberties are mostly considered advisory...

Edited by JMBobB

Here is a quote from page 1 of our Cruise Vacation Guide (Blue Book) from our recently completed cruise on Riviera:

“Shorts, jeans, t-shirts, athletic footwear and sandals are not permitted in the Grand Dining Room, Jacques, Red Ginger, Polo Grill and Toscana”.

Cheers,

Don

Edited by neepawa

We went to a Michelin Starred restaurant yesterday for dinner.

My husband refused to wear a sport coat and I let it go.

When we arrived, I expected to see many men in coat and tie and women at least in cocktail dresses or skirts/smart pant suits.

About half the people were in jeans. Some women wore legging/slim pants.

I did see one man in a sport coat. I saw everything from short sleeves and Tommy B shirts on men. Mostly long sleeve collared shirts with jeans - some in chino or dress slacks.

I am guessing that ultra casual is the new norm now for dress up.

The food was great, the wine delicious and life goes on. As I am packing now for our cruise in two weeks, I am telling my husband to leave the coat and tie behind. One more pair of shoes for me.

We went to a Michelin Starred restaurant yesterday for dinner.

My husband refused to wear a sport coat and I let it go.

When we arrived, I expected to see many men in coat and tie and women at least in cocktail dresses or skirts/smart pant suits.

About half the people were in jeans. Some women wore legging/slim pants.

I did see one man in a sport coat. I saw everything from short sleeves and Tommy B shirts on men. Mostly long sleeve collared shirts with jeans - some in chino or dress slacks.

I am guessing that ultra casual is the new norm now for dress up.

The food was great, the wine delicious and life goes on. As I am packing now for our cruise in two weeks, I am telling my husband to leave the coat and tie behind. One more pair of shoes for me.

That's all well and fine (no news to me here in Northern California).

My question is - does that restaurant have "dress code" guidelines/requirements?

Because as we all know, Oceania does and they seem pretty specific. Oceania may very well go with the "new normal" very soon, but until then....

In reality, I really don't care what other people wear - it's their business. I definitely do NOT want to see BLUEJEANS in the MDR/SR ("designer" jeans are open to discussion)

Edited by Paulchili

That's all well and fine (no news to me here in Northern California).

My question is - does that restaurant have "dress code" guidelines/requirements?

Because as we all know, Oceania does and they seem pretty specific. Oceania may very well go with the "new normal" very soon, but until then....

In reality, I really don't care what other people wear - it's their business. I definitely do NOT want to see BLUEJEANS in the MDR/SR ("designer" jeans are open to discussion)

What exactly is the difference between designer jean and blue jeans? Is it the cost? Is it the label? Is it the cut? I really don't know other that a big price tag.

What exactly is the difference between designer jean and blue jeans? Is it the cost? Is it the label? Is it the cut? I really don't know other that a big price tag.

It's not the price -it's the look.

Maybe I am not saying it right as I do not own any jeans and thus am not that familiar with the terminology. I think of "designer" jeans as black, for example, so they do not have the look of your typical blue jeans that people wear for outdoor activities. Those are the ones I would object to people wearing to the MDR/SR.

But, as I said, I am there to enjoy myself and not police what others wear. I only make sure that I look "clean and presentable", whatever I am wearing; what others do and wear is their business and responsibility.

It's not the price -it's the look.

Maybe I am not saying it right as I do not own any jeans and thus am not that familiar with the terminology. I think of "designer" jeans as black, for example, so they do not have the look of your typical blue jeans that people wear for outdoor activities. Those are the ones I would object to people wearing to the MDR/SR.

But, as I said, I am there to enjoy myself and not police what others wear. I only make sure that I look "clean and presentable", whatever I am wearing; what others do and wear is their business and responsibility.

I just googled it and here is a web definition:

"Designer clothing is clothing that bears the logo of a recognizable fashion designer."

So if this is correct then I am okay as long as my jeans are advertising some designer's name on my butt (lol). I think I'll stick to my Lee's and Levi's and wear a dress or slacks to the dining venues like I always do.

Did a little research on designer jeans. Hope the links work.

http://www.buckle.com/mens/product-groups:mens-destructed-pocket/sort:price_desc

If this link works correctly, you will see men's jeans on Amazon.com priced high to low (if it doesn't work, try doing the search -- you may find it interesting).

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st?keywords=designer+jeans&qid=1382381677&rh=n%3A1036592%2Cn%3A!1036682%2Cn%3A1040658%2Cn%3A1045564%2Ck%3Adesigner+jeans&sort=-price

And, if you simply want to know the 10 most expensive jeans -- here is an article (with a few pictures).

http://topten.whatitcosts.com/top-ten-jeans.htm

Now, try to write a dress code for Oceania;)

I must say since starting this thread, responses have been interesting.

If Oceania, acting as host, "requests" their passengers, as their guest to do something, I would hope they would do it. It's a matter of respect and good manners. Sometimes people forget despite whatever money they have spent to be onboard, they are still visitors in Oceania's "house".

For example, when a person rents a vacation house and the owner "requests" them to do or no do certain things, they honor those requests as a good renter.

After our our last cruise the behavior of a great many passengers was shocking. It was the norm to be have elevators flooded before anyone had a chance to get off, people were constantly bumping and pushing one another without an apology or a gesture of one. One afternoon a man on Waves upset with his lunch threw his hamberger at the waiter! People continually cut in front of lines to the point I felt like I was back in grade school. I came to the defense of our housekeeper when a man was yelling at her because our port was cancelled due to bad weather. This was on the penthouse level. (Class has no monetary distinction.) What could she do about it? Worst of all, on our last day, riding a shuttle to the airport, one man exploded to the Oceania representative about the manner his luggage was being handled. A fellow passanger intervened and told the man to calm down and act like a human being. He then turned to the respresentative who was visably upset and told her to ignore the man who yelled at her as he was a bully.

Sadly, some people may be taking the notion of "your world your way" to a new level and believe they can disrespect staff and passengers as well other "requests". I pray I'm wrong and our past experience doesn't repeat itself.