Silversea mean with loyalty rewards?

Tothesunset

It strikes me that Silversea are really quite ungenerous with their loyalty rewards for regular passengers. Compared with Seabourn and RSSC you need to accumulate an awful lot of sea days before gaining any real benefits.

In fact, the rewards from Seabourn, for example, are so much more generous that this would be a significant factor when looking at future cruises.

Does anyone else feel a little short-changed by Silversea?

Responding to post number 1. SS's program is laughable compared to SB. It's really a non-program. A first time cruiser, or a serious cruiser comparing the two charts would always favor SB. The guy huffing and puffing after 80 days to get free laundry is laughable in today's market.

Post number two is a different topic.

This isn't really an issue for us at the moment.

We have more SS days than SB days, but as you point out, we're already entitled to some benefits on SB. Nothing with SS.

However, taking into account the base cost of a cruise for a couple with either line, 24 hours' free internet and a free bag of laundry aren't going to win me over and persuade me to book SB over SS just to save a few pounds.

So I think this issue is more relevant to those who have lots of days with both lines and who therefore have proportionally greater benefits.

I do agree about the changes to the onboard deposit, and believe that SS has shown poor judgement in making those changes.

A lot of the big cruise lines provide more 'previldges' in thier loyalty program than what SS has. Most of the other loyalty programs have fewer requirements/days to accumulate each level. Understandably the big cruise lines have many more members, but I was surprised at Venetian Society prevlidges.

The program doesn't look like it really rewards loyalty.

Edited by gentlemancruiser

Considering SS has tried to position themselves in the industry as a provider of an intimate, ultimate luxury experience, I was surprised the first time I sailed with them that they even had a loyalty program. It doesn't seem to reconcile with the brand position. IMHO, a real luxury cruise company would treat all guests like VIPs, making no difference based on "days sailed", and strive by all means to make guests book because of high hardware and service magic.

Could we have a comparison between SS & SB please?

140 sailed days on Seabourn gets you a free seven day cruise of your choice

250 sailed days gets you a free fourteen day cruise of your choice

Then there are various tiers

Member,Silver,Gold,Platinum,Diamond

Diamond gives you 15% saving on Excursions,25% saving on Wines from the wine list.(This is my favourite perk)

Complimentary internet unlimited,complimentary telephone 40 minutes,one signature Massage,a day in the Serene spa area (larger ships)

Complimentary Laundry and pressing,Daily delivery of newspaper.Luggage tags,Dedicated club concierge,20% discount off luggage shipping,advanced invitation to hosted sailings,free subscription to Conde Naste Traveller and Travel and Leisure magazine.

There are also Tiffany & co gifts for milestone awards for sailed days.100,200,500 etc

Other tiers are a watered down version of this.

The more you sail,the more you get included.That's how it should be.

I have over 300 days on Silversea but now stick with Seabourn unless there is an itinerary that suits.

Edited by Mr Luxury

Considering SS has tried to position themselves in the industry as a provider of an intimate, ultimate luxury experience, I was surprised the first time I sailed with them that they even had a loyalty program. It doesn't seem to reconcile with the brand position. IMHO, a real luxury cruise company would treat all guests like VIPs, making no difference based on "days sailed", and strive by all means to make guests book because of high hardware and service magic.

In my experience on Seabourn,all guests get treated the same regardless of suite category,the ship experience is equal in all aspects but you get a few more perks to reward you for your loyalty once you start to accumulate days.

It's the same for airlines and for supermarket shopping.loyalty bonus gets you to return.It's all a game,just a shame that Silversea are not playing at the moment.

In the end, nothing is free and everyone pays for the amenities that are provided by each cruise lines, airline or any other travel program.

Cruise lines have different approaches to determining whether or not to provide an affinity program and if they do to what extent the program covers. They also have different approaches to what amenities are included in the cruise fare.

One might spend money on providing a rewards program while others might spend the money on another amenity for its passengers.

Again, nothing comes for free.

Personally, I do not make my cruising decisions based on the affinity packages. Rather I look at the complete package and the overall cruise fare.

Keith

140 days = 1 free week

250 days = 2 free weeks.

Cash out after 140 for 7 or stay in until 250 and get 14. Also, it is for a suite level that you have, on average, paid the rate. Not like SS, where you get a veranda after paying for an owners suite for 250 days.

• 1 month later...

We've never sailed with another line and, frankly, have never had any reason to do so. The days have added up surprisingly quickly, and with the 3 expedition ships, there are so many more itineraries to choose from. I have never felt that we've been treated differently from any other passenger, but we've never regretted our loyalty and the (meager?) benefits that accrue. Most of all, by staying with one line, the benefits add up much more quickly than moving from one to another. We took our first cruise on SS in 2001 and are now over 250 days without spending our lives on the ships. I wish SS would add free internet as a perk, but meanwhile we've been satisfied with the discounts and the laundry!

I wish SS would add free internet as a perk, but meanwhile we've been satisfied with the discounts and the laundry!

I am as greedy as the next person, and I would always like more! :) Nonetheless, I hope that free internet is not offered widely. There are capacity issues with the satellite connections, and I would hate to see that capacity consumed by people for whom internet is a free good and who spend lots of time surfing the net.

I have enjoyed the SS perks -- 10% off for all cruises (in addition to Venetian Society and other discounts) after 250 days and free laundry and 5% off after 100 (as I recall).

For a solo traveler like me, SB is no-go territory because of the high single supplements. SS has lots of cruises with single supplements of 25 and 50%. SB rarely offers such prices. So, for me the net cost (even including the possibly more generous SB perks) is clearly lower on SS.

As best I can gather, the Crystal program offers only modest benefits. But there too the base price (esp. with single supplement included) is more reasonable than SB's.

I have enjoyed the SS perks -- 10% off for all cruises (in addition to Venetian Society and other discounts) after 250 days and free laundry and 5% off after 100 (as I recall).

For a solo traveler like me, SB is no-go territory because of the high single supplements. SS has lots of cruises with single supplements of 25 and 50%. SB rarely offers such prices. So, for me the net cost (even including the possibly more generous SB perks) is clearly lower on SS.

Interesting that the other posters on this topic seem to have ignored (or forgotten) the above important perks.

I agree that SS are a bit mean with their loyalty program. I have only sailed with this cruise line so cannot comment on others. I do think they could offer a limited use of free internet, we do Skype while on board but now without the on board credit it annoys me that we now have to pay for the internet. :mad:

To me, a regular Regent cruiser, the Silversea perks are pitiful. I can't accept the fact that after paying over $60K for a 23 day cruise on Silver Ecplorer I am going to have to pay hundreds more for internet access. :mad:

Marc

• 2 weeks later...

After five weeks (4cruises) on SB we asked about loyalty program. We were told by cruise consultant in SB Sq. You are not eligible until you disembarked ship, booked another cruise and embarked for that cruise. Then you were eligible. Unlike SS where you are on for two cruises and a Venetian member that second cruise.

To me, a regular Regent cruiser, the Silversea perks are pitiful. I can't accept the fact that after paying over $60K for a 23 day cruise on Silver Ecplorer I am going to have to pay hundreds more for internet access. :mad:

Marc

But the price you pay to sail Regent,is so much more than Silversea, and I have been on both, and they are comparable, to say they are mean,doesn't ring true to me

But the price you pay to sail Regent,is so much more than Silversea, and I have been on both, and they are comparable, to say they are mean,doesn't ring true to me

Actually, my Silversea cruises (one taken one booked) have been much more expensive than any of my twenty Regent cruises.

We have sailed on Silversea seven times and Regent nine times. Since Regent included excursions in your cruise fare, in every case over the last four years (crossings, Iceland, Norway) Regent is about $2k more expensive than Silversea (due to included excursions). At the end of the day (booking) what matters is what your preference is (Regent takes care of excursions for a $2k premium on the average for the cruises we have booked) or book Silversea and you pay for your excursions. In most cases we will book Silversea, but when we book South America (incl a land tour of Machu Piccu (where SS wants to charge you close to $4000 mid cruise after you have already paid for your cruise--so u pay double; for Machu Picchu Regent charges you a pre cruise or post cruise cost from $600 to $2000), believe Regent offers a significant value difference vs. Silversea. Pls understand am only comparing our price experience with SS and R, not discussing service, dining, etc.

Edited by Colonel(Ret.)Wes

Pls understand am only comparing our price experience with SS and R, not discussing service, dining, etc.
Yes, but can we talk wine now? ;)

BTW... did you see where the 2010 Relentless was rated #73 on Wine Spectator's Top 100 of 2013 list? This is the fourth year in a row that Shafer has produced such an exceptional wine. Looks like we have yet another item to look forward to on an upcoming SS voyage.