Just off the Royal -- my thoughts

Kruzkrazy

Hello group,

First, my apologies if some or all of these topics have already been beaten to death. I just feel they bear mentioning. DW and I are Elite members, so I feel we have a good deal of perspective on this new ship.

When you first board the Royal and see the atrium, there's no denying it's a stunning piece of work. The whole ship looks great. But scratch the surface and you begin to seen some problems. First, let's take the good stuff on our B2B out of Fort Lauderdale that ended on Nov. 10.

THE GOOD

First, I have to mention our cabin steward, David, from Mexico. What a hard-working guy, covering 18 cabins, including ours in the 700 neighborhood of Riviera deck. We've come to expect this on Princess (DW and I have about 30 cruises with this line), and David did not disappoint. And no, he's not my son-in-law.

Second, the Horizon Court. I think this is the single biggest improvement Princess has made with this ship. Along with the adjoining Horizon Bistro, there's always plenty of seating available. With the Grand-class ships (which we strongly prefer overall, but I'll get to that), mealtime means fighting for a table. Not so on the Royal. However, DW's opinion of the HC isn't so enthusiastic. She points out that the layout of the food stations can be confusing, and there's still lots of wandering around to find what you want. Point taken, but I still think the HC is a strong net positive. While on the subject of the HC, I want to mention the sinks installed at the entrance. You can wash your hands before eating or afterward it they're sticky. A very nice feature.

Third, the ship is spotlessly clean and tidy at all times, which we've come to expect from Princess. Not a small thing.

Fourth, here are a couple of small things that made an impression: In the bathroom, the lights are placed at the sides of the mirror rather than above it. Makes shaving a lot easier. Don't know if this was intentional or not, but I like it either way. Also, a shelf has been added to the safe, which effectively doubles its capacity. Small things, as I said, but small things count.

Finally, Princess' high level of service is maintained on the Royal, as with the aforementioned cabin steward David. All crew members are smiling and ready to help at all times. We expect nothing less from this cruise line.

THE BAD

Unfortunately, all is not paradise on the Royal Princess. You knew this was coming, so here are the particulars:

First, the cabins are tiny, tiny, tiny. We had a regular balcony cabin, and when we saw it we had trouble believing we were on a Princess ship. besides the bed, there's a desk chair, a second chair and a minuscule table. With this furniture crowding the space, there's room to turn around, but barely. The corridors are wider on the Royal than on the Grand-class ships, and I suspect this creates or adds to the problem of small cabins.

Second, and I know you've all read plenty about this, is the postage-stamp balconies. Since so much has been said about this, I won't bore you further except to say that, yes, it's true, and yes, it's a real problem for those of us who've come to expect more from Princess in this area.

Third is the butchered exterior Promenade Deck. Again, you know what I'm talking about. DW actually talked to the captain about this, wondering why it was necessary to all but destroy one of the most attractive features of cruise ships in general. Captain said the new design allows the tenders/lifeboats to be lowered faster in an emergency. Well, OK, but I find it hard to believe Princess had no choice but to take the Prom Deck out and shoot it. I mean, DW and I love strolling the Prom Deck after a heavy dinner, and on other ships it's a great place to sit and relax in the shade. Not on the Royal nor, I fear, on any future ships.

Fourth, while on the subject of shade, there isn't much. Indeed, you can fry on a hot day. Just speculating here, but I had the crazy thought that Princess figures it can sell more beer if people are getting themselves in lobster mode. As I said, just speculating.

Fifth, the spa is way too expensive. Hey, all I want is a steam and a sauna, but to use them you have to buy a pass to the "Enclave," and that costs almost 40 bucks a day, more like $21 if you buy a cruise-long pass. That's nuts. You can compare that to the cost of similar facilities in shoreside resorts and call it acceptable, but I don't. I've already paid thousands for a cruise, and I want my steam time included, as on the Grand ships. OK, the Island/Coral ships do charge for these, but it's gotten out of hand. As an aside, as an Elite member I think I should get a break on the price for the spa. Go ahead, call me a snob, but that's my opinion.

Sixth, that gorgeous atrium has a dark side, and I'm not talking about the lighting. What makes it so beautiful is all that marble and tile. But those materials reflect sound, and the musicians and singers performing there are so loud you can't hold a conversation. On several nights it was positively earsplitting. We had to vacate the area. So where to go? On to ...

Seventh: One of places to escape the noise at night is the "dancing waters" show on the pool deck. Very pretty. But man, that thing takes up a lot of prime real estate that would be put to better use as another pool because ...

Eighth: This ship feels crowded, especially around the pools. On a nice day at sea, I couldn't get close to the pool or a Jacuzzi. I never, ever, experienced this on a Princess ship before, and I don't like it. At all.

Ninth: Remember when I wrote that little things count? Well, so do little bad things. To wit: I think Princess must have held a contest to see which employee could dream up the worst place to put the cabin toilet paper holders. I recall that someone mentioned this some time ago on this forum, and he got flamed for it. Well, I'm here to tell you he (or she) was right. The silly thing is tucked under the sink and in back of you, in a spot where you almost have to be a contortionist to reach it, raise the splash cover and tear off your TP all with one hand. Clearly, they designed the bathroom without thinking of where to put the toilet paper holder, and this is the afterthought.

Ninth (a): Still under "the little bad things count" category is this: DW was having a birthday (a bad one, one of those that ends in "0," but enough said about that) and I wanted balloons on our door, just to show her that I care. So I went down to the Passenger Services desk and asked them to do that. The nice lady said "Sure, no problem," and I gave her our cabin number, confirming that she had it right. You guessed it: No balloons.

And finally, Tenth:On the second leg of our B2B, a tour group of 500 men boarded the ship. For the first leg, we were in the Allegro dining room, on traditional late seating, and we liked our waiters. But this huge group reserved the entire dining room, and we were booted to another one for the second leg, so we couldn't keep our waiters. Also, there's this: On the pool deck far forward, there's the Retreat pool, near but not part of the Sanctuary. This nice pool area includes cabanas and a couple of Jacuzzis. This tour group took over the entire Retreat pool for the whole cruise. Hey, this just isn't right. Five hundred people in one group is just too many.

THE UGLY

Well, clearly there's nothing really ugly about the Royal Princess, except possibly for this: If this is the future of cruise ship design, then we can expect less bang for our buck each time a new one comes on line. Service is still fine, and the food, standard Princess fare, is still good, but we're getting less space and more nickel-and-diming. Some of that nickel-and-diming is becoming folding money, too. It's a business, I understand that -- I'm a Carnival shareholder, for cryin' out loud. Even so, when DW and I disembarked, I felt like I'd just had my pocket picked.

In short, a cruise ship has to give me a reason to come back. Royal Princess just doesn't do that. We'll stick with the Grand ships. That's my $.02 worth.

KK

Thank you so much. Your opinion is important to me because we are also Elite and long time Princess cruisers.

Know we will want to try Royal Princess at some point to see for ourselves ... but have been delaying doing so at least for another year ....

LuLu

~~~~~

I appreciate your review. I almost booked the 11/3 cruise but I learned that a group of 500 were going to be cruising and I switched to a later cruise. I hear you about expensive spas. I spent so much money on the Disney Fantasy last year (very expensive spa) that I've sworn them off. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.

I appreciate your review. I almost booked the 11/3 cruise but I learned that a group of 500 were going to be cruising and I switched to a later cruise. I hear you about expensive spas. I spent so much money on the Disney Fantasy last year (very expensive spa) that I've sworn them off. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.

How did you learn that the large group was going to be onboard for that cruise?

How did you learn that the large group was going to be onboard for that cruise?

I did an internet search on groups and Royal Princess. I found that a group of "bears" were cruising on 11/3 (500 of them) and immediately switched. You can't always find out this information but I got lucky with my search. I don't like large groups on my cruises. They tend to take over venues and create issues for other unaffiliated paxs.

Avalon 35,

For instance, gelato is now $2.75 for 3 scoops; was $1.50 last time I had it, tho that was a few years ago.

For another, tho this is slightly off-topic, DW was a bit put-out that there were no giveaway souvenirs for the Royal's maiden appearance on this side of the pond. In days of yore, a new ship would give out souvenir ashtrays, shot glasses and the like. You can still get them in the shops, but they'll cost you.

I think the price of coffee cards has gone up, too, but that might be fleet-wide.

Round cakes of soap in the cabins are half the size they used to be. Hardly worth stealing anymore.

And so forth.

KK

Interesting, you pointed out a few of the things I didn't like about the Epic. Do we sense a trend here?

No real promenade deck, yet they had a mini prom deck which took up most of one side for jogging. If you can do that on one side, why not all the way around? There are no life boats all the way forward or aft.

Epic had two small pools with a sprinkler area in between. They had some very limited seating area behind a railing in with the pools, then only stuff on the sides. At one end were the water slides and at the other was a stage. Also made it tough to walk through this area since it only left a little corridor between loungers.

I really didn't like the Epic as a ship overall and would not be in a hurry to sail it again. So glad to be on the CB this time which has a real prom deck, even if you have to go up and down stairs.

Thanks so much for your opinion as all opinions are welcomed. I think the nickel diming is cruise fleet wide not just royal princess and certainly not just Princess Cruisline. The cruise industry has had to cut back somewhere while still providing excellent service to it's clients.

Compared to years ago the special feeling is no longer there...food has been scaled back (ex: meatloaf in the dining room?) and I am sure they (the cruise lines)are trying to make up the cost of inflation while still providing an affordable all inclusive vacation.

You can do 7 day cruises for $499.00! Where else can you travel to multiple foreign lands for that price for an all inclusive vacation?

I know the cuts are there and I go knowing they will try to get me to break out my wallet for souvineers, coca cola cards, specialty ice cream, specialty coffee's, specialty dining, Spa treatments (already pre-booked for a couples massage,,,knowing the price ahead of time) and Bingos but I go knowing what to expect and it is my option to partake or not.

As an elite member too, I promise to give an honest review of the ship when I sail her on Dec. 1st. I do not wish to go off on a tangent but I find sailing on almost any cruise line to be a lifetime experience to enjoy and not one to ever regret. My Mother always said if you cannot afford to go away, stay home and save till you can so you can enjoy it without worrying about spending money. Words of wisdom I like to live by.

After reading so many not so pleasant reviews I have been asked by a few people if the people who complain are trying to get on board credits from Princess? I said I cannot answer that but it is a valid question.

Tikilite, I don't think an honest review of Princess is hoping to get an "onboard credit" or whatever. I think you are out of line saying that about someone who is giving their honest opinion about their experience onboard. That certainly says something about you and what you might expect.

This board is for those who wish to express their experience and let us all share our feelings. Not everyone who expresses their opinion is a leach. Most are experienced cruisers who share their opinion. What is wrong with meatloaf?

Thanks so much for your opinion as all opinions are welcomed. I think the nickel diming is cruise fleet wide not just royal princess and certainly not just Princess Cruisline. The cruise industry has had to cut back somewhere while still providing excellent service to it's clients.

Compared to years ago the special feeling is no longer there...food has been scaled back (ex: meatloaf in the dining room?) and I am sure they (the cruise lines)are trying to make up the cost of inflation while still providing an affordable all inclusive vacation.

You can do 7 day cruises for $499.00! Where else can you travel to multiple foreign lands for that price for an all inclusive vacation?

I know the cuts are there and I go knowing they will try to get me to break out my wallet for souvineers, coca cola cards, specialty ice cream, specialty coffee's, specialty dining, Spa treatments (already pre-booked for a couples massage,,,knowing the price ahead of time) and Bingos but I go knowing what to expect and it is my option to partake or not.

As an elite member too, I promise to give an honest review of the ship when I sail her on Dec. 1st. I do not wish to go off on a tangent but I find sailing on almost any cruise line to be a lifetime experience to enjoy and not one to ever regret. My Mother always said if you cannot afford to go away, stay home and save till you can so you can enjoy it without worrying about spending money. Words of wisdom I like to live by.

After reading so many not so pleasant reviews I have been asked by a few people if the people who complain are trying to get on board credits from Princess? I said I cannot answer that but it is a valid question.

I disagree with your assessment:rolleyes:

Bob

Thank you for positng this review. We had booked cruise on Royal but cancelled after hearing about the balcony size and more importantly the absence of a promenade deck. We love the promenade deck and spend lots of time there. I wonder how many ships with this design will be built in the future by Princess.